Microsoft announces Office 2019 for Those Not Ready for the Cloud

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Looking forward to it.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm still using Office 2010. It doesn't feel outdated at all yet and works well with Win10. But it's good to know MS still does make real Office versions and not only the NSA supervised cloud stuff.

schmidtbag likes this.
  4. AkiraLeir

AkiraLeir Member

GPU:
    RX5500 XT
    Somebody should tell them already that their branding/versioning doesn't really make sense.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm not saying which version I use lol.
    Its really old but hasnt fallen short of what I need yet, amazing! And I make use of many elements.
    These white versions that need the cloud or internet connection, rubbish.
    Why break something that works well. I suppose they have to make it as bad as Windows 10 to appear immutable.

The brief is simple from our perspective, lets see how badly they screw up the 2019 version.
    They surprise how well they can screw up something simple to achieve well.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m still using Office 2000 and it´s more than enough for what i need so i can save some money and skip more recent versions.

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I got Office 2016 using a discount from my job, for $10 bucks. If that price stays the same for 2019 i'll likely pick it up.
    https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

HH this reads odd: "The new Office should will be released by next year... "

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Most technologies are great if they are not pushed upon. That's why office 2010 it is.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I use LibreOffice, at least for personal use. At work (where my job is heavily dependent upon Excel) I might use MS Office, since it offers a few more features, it is a little more intuitive, and it is much better about parallel processing. But for everything else, LO is more than good enough. Personally, I think MS Office is overkill for the average person. You don't need to spend that much to write some papers for school, write a letter to grandma, or create your own tax forms. Meanwhile, LO uses a lot less disk space and doesn't have crippling regressions after every major release. Some people around my office are using Office 2016 and are chronically having freezing and crashing issues that older versions never had.

What amazes me is how PowerPoint (or LO Impress) is still part of the base package. I understand there are still plenty of people who use it, but it's kind of a niche piece of software IMO. I also hate Outlook, a lot. The only reasons why I think it's nice is because it can be used to unify your email addresses, and, give a consistent familiar UI. It was practical in the 90s but now, it's just a headache to IT departments worldwide.

EDIT:
    As for the cloud, I definitely see that as beneficial in some cases, but overall I think it has more cons than pros for the average consumer. It's ideal for schools/students and businesses, but nobody else.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Cloud version is less efficient IMO due to unnecessary data transfers. Standalone makes more sense for me.

PowerPoint is in the base package because it's heavily used. It's used in place of slides of yore, in business presentations, by school and tertiary students.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Powerpoint is a program where you either use it extensively or never use it. The vast majority of people have absolutely no need for it. I agree that it is useful for schools and business presentations, but compared to the other office software, it's a niche program. That being said, I could see it being used in school editions and one of the more expensive business/professional editions, but I don't understand why it's in home editions or the cheaper professional editions. And just so you don't think I'm basing my thoughts on personal experience, I haven't and probably never will use OneNote, but I find that to be a much more useful program than Powerpoint.

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Yes, did you read my post?
    I pointed out how what we want is simple and they will somehow find a way to screw it up.

14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Check the thread title and read my post again.

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    if you want your software to work every day, no exceptions, local copy is the way to go

companies "not ready for the cloud" are most likely not ready for fabricated problems

16. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
  17. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Will it allow for custom installs without having to create a customized image? I seem to remember that was a large complaint with Office 2016's Click to Run installer.

18. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Its Nice that MS is continuing supporting the Standalone Office Suite software for those who do not wan't to use that Office 365 Crap. I wish Adobe was like that with their Creative Suite software.