AMD to launch 12nm Ryzen in February

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    AMD will have to keep the pressure, they can not afford to fall behind again. This will only be a win win for consumers. I hope this refresh in FEB 2018 is true and not just a delay after delay again. They better increase IPC and clock speed 15% min as well otherwise reviewers are going to destroy it.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I agree that the clock speed race is not yet over, although it's getting increasing more difficult to ramp up clock speeds. Thus, adding more cores would be an easier way to add more power, although it depends on application support. Also, enthusiasts like me have already switched over - my current gaming rig is a Ryzen 7 system, paired with a couple of 1080s. I switched because I saw that I would get a lot more computing power with Ryzen (at the same price point) while losing very little in gaming performance. As expected, my Ryzen 7 has provided a big boost to my computing numbers, and I get a smooth gaming experience as well so I'm pretty happy with my setup.

If 12nm Ryzen can clock higher then it would be a nice bonus, although I'd probably stay where I'm at. When I upgrade, it'll probably be a Zen 2 or 3, depending on the improvements.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What victory? Last time I checked intel's many core workstation chips which OC anywhere near that (4.8GHz)... 8C/16T ~320W (oc3d); 16C/32T ~650W (Jayz2C).
    Sure, OC anything you want, but it is unreasonable.

If all Zen+ gains is 5% better IPC, stable 4.2GHz for most of chips and 5~10% lower power consumption, it will rule. Because that would mean +16% per core performance for usual Joe while reducing heat (22%+ better performance/Watt).

4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'm sorry, but my mom still uses my P4 3.0Ghz, 14 years and going. Of course not everyone keeps their hardware that long, but I can't afford to replace so often.
    I'm sure many gamers/enthusiasts already did the switch.
    No, most people are faithful to a brand. Even if AMD would release the new CPU king of performance, people would still buy Intel.
    10% over 16nm. Ryzen is 14nm. We have no idea how much gain 12nm will be.
    Good question, the socket is the same but will we need the X/B/A4xx chipset?

5. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    So, a FX 9590 should wipe the floor in those applications that require high clock speeds right? Even better then a 7700k right? Wrong. High clocks matter, but we are comparing apples to pears in here, AMD and Intel have different archs, AMD seems to have the winning hand over the old Intel arch due to the way you can overclock a 4 core or a 16 core to 4ghz without problems and Intel has to downclock their CPUs the more cores they get.

So, High clocks are great, but It doesnt mean that much since the netburst era.

**This is my opinion, and what I've seen with my current use case**

6. nesty

nesty Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 470 Nitro+ 4G
    it is actually called 12nm leading-performance ;)

7. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    "AMD said it does not comment on products that have not been announced."
    Yet, the article is titled as "Announcing...". In terms of sheer stupidity, misleading, confusion and contradiction, AMD beats even Intel...

8. 4KShmoork

4KShmoork Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Extreme
    Eh that goes both ways. Plenty of AMD fans bought $600+ Vega 64s. People will always buy what they want.

I was pretty torn between a Ryzen and Skylake X (7820x) build but for a couple hundred more (compared to high end X370 board/1800X/3200MHz RAM), the 7820X build is in another tier of performance at 4.8GHz. Thats why I say enthusiasts are looking for that jack of all trades build. Strong single and multicore performance for gaming, editing, rendering, DAW use, etc.

Ryzen is a great perf per dollar offering. If Ryzen had better single core perf and higher clocks, no question I would have Ryzen chip in my build.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    If this ends up being improved as much as the fab process change suggests it might/can be, it's gonna be very hard to resist getting an 8core.

10. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Yes

11. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    Or maybe journalists just being themselves (LOOK HERE CLICK HERE):):):)

12. Wasif Abbas

Wasif Abbas Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 8
    Am I the only one who registered the new motherboards mentioned in this article. I thought the x370 and B350 will be supporting the future Zen upgrades as AMD promised to support this AM4 for the long haul.

13. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    They should keep this in the down low and surprise Intel when they think they're ahead.

Example:
    -This announcement never happens
    -Intel announces it's own 12nm due May 2018
    -AMD releases it's own 12nm in March or something
    -Intel BTFO

14. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    They will support it,but AMD needs to throw a bone to mobo manufactures,hence new boards,i highly suspect they will bring anything new to the market.Think of it like situation that amd had recently with graphic cards,it needed to release something new so we had a case of nothing new just pure re brand (RX470->RX570 and RX480->RX580).I highly suspect this is some case (got no proof).

15. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    According to the "leaks" i saw on internet,AMD is releasing new CPU's in February(different mobo manufactures all say 02/18)We shall see how it turns out (even if its late month or two)

16. vonSternberg

vonSternberg Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 560D
    The dates were just an example, I'm clueless when it comes to release dates since I won't be able to buy any of the new stuff for a couple years :D

17. kruno

kruno Master Guru

GPU:
    4890/1
    I am in same boat buddy,no new buy (until it becomes old,i just "upgraded" 6 months ago to AM3+):D:D:D

vonSternberg likes this.
  18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    As a current Ryzen owner the 7nm on the charts interests me most. I sure hope they can get a 7nm Ryzen out in 2019 that would be a perfect upgrade time 2 ish years after getting Ryzen.

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    8700k train is gonna be running.....they will have to catch it first.

20. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Huh cool, sounds like AMD's CPU sector is crunching it at warp 10. I thought it be a year till the next CPU refreshes drop, very cool.

Good stuff.