Tablet choice

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by petermaybe, Sep 19, 2017.

1. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    Hello guys. I'm thinking of buying a tablet. I've never had one, but think that it would be just the thing for me to scroll the net, make occasional calls and take pics. I gather Mac, Samsung and Windows are quite good, but is there anything decent on the market apart from them (and preferably cheaper)? :D

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Amazons Kindle Fire and Fire Tablet are cheap enough and just use a heavily modified version of Android under the hood. If you just want the above things though they should be plenty enough.

Otherwise its just sifting through the enormous number of Android tablets on offer to find one with specs that suit you for the price.

I dont think most low end tablets will take great photos though.

petermaybe likes this.
  3. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    Stone-eye, thanks! they do look nice and quite fit for my needs. Taking photos is not a priority anyway

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    petermaybe likes this.

5. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    Extraordinary, thank you! not bad really

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If you want to spend a little more, honestly iPad is about the best tablet I've ever used. They cost a little more, but they are worth the cost in my opinion. Apple keeps them well supported, updated, can't complain too much about them.

Barnes and Noble and Samsung have their Nook partnership that are not too bad either. You do get Google Services with those where as the Fire HD you have to root to get Google services(Although Amazon services are pretty comparable to Google Services, so you still aren't losing too much there).

iOS 11 though I will say is a great tablet OS. The multitasking is incredible on it, performance is stellar, I even can use it in place of my laptop if I'm not a work or on the go no problem with all my documents, and apps that work well with it.

7. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I find Apples Keyboard support rubbish though even with Swiftkey etc unless that been improved in iOS11? Android tablets I find easier to use for productivity for this reason.

I just got myself a very cheap (£20!) Asus Transformer T100TA from a guy at work for my own tablet, Windows 10 is still really not good as a tablet OS but better than 8.1 was by a mile. And if like me you hated Apples Keyboard Microsofts is 100x worse. Still for twenty quid im certainly not complaining.

8. petermaybe

petermaybe Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8 GB
    vbetts, thanks for the comment! guess I really should think about iPad some more. how long do they live on average?

as for Nook was sure it's al about reading. looks nice too

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    What's the best ~10" Tablet (non Apple) around right now?

Opinions please :)