Project Cars 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 8, 2017.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    The game seems to run well for me, but I did notice that you can't put as many opponents on many tracks as you could in the first game. As far as any type of AA goes, I haven't used any in either PCARS game. Just straight up 4k with ultra settings. I tried SMAA in the first game but it added thin white lines along pixel edges that bugged me. I'll give SMAA a try in PCARS2 when I get a chance, but you should try straight up higher resolutions and/or the in game super sampling options. Looks great to me. As far as driving feel and difficulty goes, it has been a bit of a shock. I've been playing FM6 on my X1, FH3 and the FM7 demo on my PC. Loading up PCARS2 made me feel like a total newbie to racing games. After tuning the sensitivity and moving some UI elements I've gotten somewhat near my old PCARS lap times in identical cars and tracks. Another couple sessions and I figure it'll feel fantastic. I don't drive in real life either, so can't help you with that!

I do love how FM games feel most of the time, but it's the small things that start to bug me since FM5. The GT3/GTE/GTD sort of cars (where I spend the majority of my racing time) just don't turn in at low speeds for me in the FM games, but in PCARS2 they are much more direct and comparable to what I watch in the ALMS/ELMS broadcasts. Also, even with all assists off in the FM games I still don't feel as if I'm totally connected to the car. PCARS2 cars, after making sure to warm your tires and learn the car and track, feels much more "hooked up" and believable to me. Once me and the car are dialed in and warmed up, I feel more than 90% confident in our combined abilities and I get "in the zone" so to speak. In recent FM games, I never feel confident in the car no matter where the tires are. Do the test that I do to judge confidence in a car. Go to Brands Hatch and compare things like when you lose the back end, how soon you can get power down in each turn and how consistent you can be once you are up to speed.

I know you'll have to use FM Apex for now to compare to the PCARS games, but once FM7 comes out I'll be anxious to try Brands Hatch in the 650S GT3. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Forza games and will buy them, but PCARS has really nailed that true racing feeling for me.

Indeed. My remarks above sort of speak to this. While I wouldn't say Forza feels "dreadful" I do think that PCARS2 has the tire modeling and feeling better figured out, whereas the FM games seem to have the edge on the weightiness of cars. I look forward to seeing them both be improved and added to in the future.

2. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Anyone have a support email addy for Project Cars 2? I cannot find one and on their main website the help button is disabled.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    forza handling has been the same since the first forza, nothing changed, infact game getting better and better with each release..

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    can u recommend me a way to setup the vehicle? i m breaking and the car heads straight for the barrier and even the smallest brake push on the gamepad is making the tyres lock, but that was using the mclaren ; on the other hand i tried the ferrari 288 gto, and this one drives like a charm, thx..
    i have no problem running the game at 1440p, 60 fps, runs flawlessly on my system, but for me its very hard to get a good lap time in my first event in career at brands hatch with the renault clio, im doing my absolute best but still 3 sec off the pace setter pole position, any recommendations? im playing with the xbox 360 controller, im not making any mistakes as im mostly full throttle on the lap, but still 3 sec off the pole position, its frustrating me...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    If you are locking up brakes that easily, first off try bringing up the car configuration by pressing up on the directional pad. You should be able to change assists and things like fuel mix and brake bias/sensitivity. Based on each car, I'll usually set it to where I can mostly depress the brakes (left trigger) without locking up and then fiddle with ABS on/off if the cars allows it. I'm using authentic assists, but will sometimes turn some of them off.

As for your Clio race, if that is a front wheel drive car you can sometimes end up with slower lap times by using too much throttle. Make sure to listen closely to how much the front tires are struggling versus where you are in the revs. Also, what settings do you have for the AI difficulty sliders? I'm still down in the 70's for both skill and aggressiveness until I learn the game physics and cars better. I only changed the controller settings a little bit, but I can list them for you. It's from an old steam post for X360 controller setup for PCARS1 but I still love it.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=german&id=439605295

Depending on how old your controller is and how sensitive your sticks are, you may need to take the deadzones/sensitivities up or down to compensate. I had to put the deadzones around 15 for things to feel right with my controller. As for how it runs, it seems to be a bit better than the first game. I'm running 4k resolution with ultra settings, no AA and the only time I've dipped below 60FPS was at Le Mans at night in a thunderstorm with 30+ AI opponents.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I play games for fun not necessarily the challenge (which is why I do not enjoy competitive online multiplayer) so don’t laugh when I say that I usually opt for Normal/Easy diificulty in all games and all assists on in racing titles. However, I find the Steering and Braking Assists to be too annoying in Project CARS 2 so imagine my surprise when I turned both off and found the game to be far, far more enjoyable to drive in. The assists are just overcautious in this game, resulting in you slowing right down unless you are exactly following the racing line.

The game has suddenly become much more interesting and enjoyable for me now, although overall it does feel a bit soulless and lacking in personality in my opinion. For example, you are rewarded with a static podium image for winning individual races, there’s no cutscene like WRC 7 or F1 2017. At the end of each competition you do get an animated trophy cutscene but on my PC even that bugged out, returning me to the track with no overlay and all the keys not responding except for + and - on the numeric pad, which changed the camera angle! I only got back to the menu by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and returning to the game, which thankfully fixed it.

Not only that but I had to twice restart a race which I had pole position in and led the pack during the first lap because on starting the second lap I suddenly noticed I was no longer 1st but 12th (out of 12). And, no, there were no penalties or anything like that since there were no collisions with me taking the lead straight away. Not sure how that happened and once would have been bad enough but this happened twice in the same competition! Add those to the graphical glitches in this game - weird tree LOD transitions, crew clipping through the pit building and shadows issues such as flickering on buildings and short draw distances - and it’s clear that this game is a bit buggy. In fact, it is the buggiest racing game I’ve played to date, though thankfully it hasn’t crashed (that would be ironic! lol) and performance has been great, with only one minor instance of stuttering in the 8 hours I’ve been playing so far.

A very good game in my view but one that will likely be eclipsed by Forza Motorsport 7 when it releases next week (it unlocks for me on 29th).

7. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Forza is a totally different animal to me. Different goal, different approach. A fun racer, not meant to be a simulation.

You should check the tech docs of this game. It simulates an incredible number of things, many of which you'd only experience if you're racing for a longer time or at a different time if day / weather setting.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I found a few graphical glitches as well and had 2 crashes to desktop.
    Thats the downside.

Its so much better that Project Cars 1, joystick control works really well.
    Playing on a Rift the hours fly by, theres no hesitation what to do when a race finishes, start another!

9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I found the Forza 7 demo feels flat. All that content sounds less intriguing if it's too lifeless. Fired up Project Cars (1) and I still love the feel and difficulty. I just went ahead and bought PC2, should be ready tonight. All those tracks seals it for me. 60? That ought to do.

What I really want is a racing game with content and progression like Gran Turismo 2 but with improved, modern game physics like Assetto Corsa. PC2 is getting close, I think. I may still get Forza as I suspect that demo was a crap representation.

Wish I had wheel but I seem to do OK with my gamepad.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    my controller is not very old and i set difficulty to 60 and added a bit more agressiveness, i can t seem to find where im going wrong with the clio race, im not making any mistakes and doing very good laps only to find myself 3 sec off the pace i don t know why.....

11. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Now this is interesting to me! I'm the exact opposite. I've always played Forza's and other racing games without any kind of assists, but so far in PCARS2 I'm having a better time with some light TCS and a dash of ABS depending on the car. FYI you can usually tune the amount of assists via your Motec/LCD in some cars. I do agree that PCARS 1 and 2 don't have the same kind of reward system the games like GT and FM have, but I got past that and just enjoy the racing. No idea on why you were put in the wrong position in a race, I haven't seen that yet. I have seen the tree popping and shadow related stuff and it is kind of annoying until I'm in the zone and up to speed, then they don't matter all that much. As for buggyness, either your memory is short or you didn't play the first PCARS! Haha, I bought it at release and almost immediately put it on the shelf until 9 patches had made it playable and mostly enjoyable. I am glad to say that I have only seen a super small amount of stutter as well, but I did get a CTD after 22 laps at Bathurst in a full field of GT3 cars. I was actually passing 1st place across the start/finish line on the second to last lap and my screen just blinked for a split second and spat me out on the desktop. Talk about an adrenaline killer!

I agree here as well. I can enjoy either game just fine, but I go to PCARS2 now for real racing. Forza feels more like a good time with friends to me, whereas in PCARS2 I would be super serious and try to crush any friend who played with me. I can certainly feel the difference in the tire and physics going from PCARS 1 to 2 and I'm really liking the upgrade so far.

Yeah, there are a few issues with shadows and LOD stuff right now that can maybe be patched. Only one CTD so far here. If it happens again I'm going to try and take a bin or two out of my OC and see if that helps it. While I don't have a rift or a wheel, I played 3 hours last night and it felt like 20 minutes had gone by. :)

Not sure what is going on here if you aren't having trouble controlling the car. Upload a video of you racing so we can see? Try racing in some RWD cars? Mess around with the controller sensitivities more, specifically the ones where going closer to 100 makes your twitchy movements more dampened on a controller?

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i will try to post a lap of qualifying at that event

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm an hour in and on the fence. I may refund now and try again later. Still have nearly an hour to decide.

I like PC1 (great feel) but I'm not sure this is what I was hoping for. The driving physics may be a little too real for me and my gamepad. Racing wheel just can't happen in my current setup. I could probably eventually get it down (like PC1 curve) but I feel overwhelmed as I try to tame any car I try (various settings).

Deal breaker is the content seems a little more thin than expected with many race variants of the same car, etc. The single player is still a bit shallow as well considering they're clearly aiming at the big titles now. You have to create a lot of it on your own. I do love all the tracks available and it looks sensational. Feels like it's easily worth $60 to sim racers, but may be a little steep for the casual fan.

I guess I go to Forza next week but the demo is unimpressive to me as well. I still may give it a shot though as the content and presentation are just as important to the casual SP racer and it is packed to the gills similar to an all time favorite, Gran Turismo 2.

Wish they could marry all these games together in a proper package though. Seems like the unreachable, Holy Grail of racing games.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    different cars have different feel, and u can tell driving the mclaren and driving the ferrari 288gto , two totally different beasts as the mclaren has the upper hand in just about everythinf but it feels great to drive the 288gto with the controller im having a blast

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    For certain. I love that about PC1. The "feel" of the physics is great.

PC2 is a bit more steep. I imagine I'd get it with time but I suspect I'm caught in the middle. Even though I liked that about PC1, PC2 may be a little TOO sim for me... but Forza may be too arcade. Two great racing games released and neither seems like it's going to fit me just right.

16. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Maybe try a different car or a different setup. Usually lower tire pressure (for example) and more downforce help a lot.

17. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    God damn this game is good in VR.
    I have to reboot to another OS install to use my Rift and barely used it before.
    Now I'm playing every spare moment.
    The sad part is I have a lot do. Lucky I can write a database to schedule for later :p

The visual smoothness and feel for every nuance of the car is superb.
    Even though I'm using an XBox 1 pad and its not rumbling for some reason, I 'feel' the car still.
    Its so much easier to keep it on the edge of the envelope and control slides when pushed too hard.
    I started on the Ginetta Juniors Challenge, maybe that car is a breeze to handle. I'll find out later.
    All assists off except for Authentic. Max damage and wear.
    The car feels super planted, no vague feel like PC1.
    And places where the car would freak out with PC1, PC2 handles in a seemingly more realistic fashion.

Theres a long way to go for a full appraisal but this is awesome so far.

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Gotta agree with you. Aside from VR, which I don't have, I took a few hours tweaking and testing controller settings for my X1 controller and I've got it nearly perfect. Mine doesn't rumble either but I also just "feel" the car somehow. The 3 places I had issues with in PCARS1 were Eau Rouge on Spa, the downhill section after the bridge on Bannochbrae and the inside curb after the 2nd(?) of the esses on Hochenhiem classic. The cars now behave much more realistically in those areas as well as just in general. I was able to do a 22 lap GT3/GT4/LMP2 multi class race on Long Beach with no mistakes, outside of one LMP2 who gave me a small bump on the back bumper on the last turn. It was so exhilarating the whole time, even though I came in 5th because my pit crew lost a lug nut during my pit stop.This was on 90 difficulty and 70 aggressiveness.

As for VR, I did spend several hours playing PCARS1 at my friends house on his HTC Vive setup with an X1 controller. We both were running off the track all the time and had horrible lap times. Not to mention the fact that we were starting to get motion sickness as well. We think it was the fact that we were inside the cockpit in VR but had no real wheel to hold onto, just the tiny controller. How do you get around this? I'm also holding out a bit to give this game full appraisal as it were, but I'm loving it so far. Make sure to try the GT3 NSX at some point. It's my favorite right now. :)

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I found it too easy to run off the track on PC1, it was as if the tyres had ice under them at times.
    Motion sickness may have been caused by too low a frame rate. That was another problem with PC1, it needed a 1080ti to use fairly low settings in VR.
    You cant whack the settings up high with PC2 in VR with a 1080ti but low to medium with SuperSampling maxed out looks great.
    If you can put up running at 45fps with interpolation you can turn settings up a ton more including MSAA alongside SS, that is quite excellent.
    I found this works a whole let better than expected, my lap times suffer a tiny bit but it looks awesome.

I havent had a moments feeling of sickness, I forgot it could happen.
    The wheel on screen moves assuredly with the stick position, I doubt using a stick will cause you problems of that nature.

20. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I have VR and PC1 but for some reason I'm just not feeling PC 2 enough to buy it. I didn't play much of PC1 but VR mode was pretty cool but the cars available are just not my thing. Forza 7 just overall looks better and has a ton more vehicles that are to my liking. I'm just not much into racing these weird looking super cars, F1's and whatnot. Give me some classic cars and ones that are more common to what I'm familiar with. Sadly Forza 7 doesn't support VR.

I think arcade racer's tend to be more fun. The Crew 2 looks like it'll be a blast so I'll probably just wait for that.