MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    I didn't mean adding show system time to a profile, but having an hotkey to show and hide system time.
    For example, in the picture below, there's "Toggle On-Screen Display", "Show On-Screen Display", "Hide On-Screen Display", what I meant was having an extra option in this screen to "Toggle Show System Time".
    https://i.imgur.com/ZYibCfK.jpg

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm afraid I don't find it useful to create an additional hotkey bind just for that option, sorry. It will be a part of monitoring profile in future version.

3. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Having trouble explaining myself, and sorry about posting so much about such a small issue. x_x

By itself, such a hotkey wouldn't be useful, yeah, my suggestion was due to it being a possible workaround to switch between a profile with active OSD and a profile with no active OSD (to be able to switch from afterburner profile to RTSS show own statistics option).

The goal was this:

[​IMG]

Switching between full OSD (afterburner OSD) and a very simple framerate counter (RTSS show own statistics).

Since it's not possible to disable afterburner's OSD through profiles, if there was a hotkey for show system time, this would be a possible workaround instead:

[​IMG]

I know that afterburner has its own framerate counter, but afterburner's counter has no way to hide the API label.
    In my opinion, when wanting to see only a framerate counter and no other details, RTSS "show own statistics" option looks better, and when wanting to see a full OSD with other details, afterburner's framerate counter looks better, but currently it's not possible to switch between the two. :x

Sorry again for posting so much about this.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What's stopping you from setting up such simplistic fps counter as one of OSD profiles and then switching to it with a profile hotkey?

I personally would prefer to have an option of rotating available OSD profiles with a single hotkey instead of having to set up a separate hotkey for each profile. As I've said earlier, something like OSD1->OSD2->OSDx->OSD Off->repeat rotation with one hotkey would be more convenient.

5. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    I started using afterburner and rtss pretty recently, so maybe I'm just not seeing but, from what I'm seeing, afterburner doesn't have a simplistic framerate counter, so I can't set up a profile like that.
    I tried searching if it was possible to hide the API label in afterburner's framerate counter, all I could find was a reply to a similar question saying to use RTSS "show own statistics" instead, which does show just a simplistic framerate counter, but, there's no way to toggle between afterburner's monitoring OSD and RTSS "own statistics".

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well, yeah, you will have to make do with the API and fps labels probably, even if they can be renamed to something.

So what you're actually asking is for the ability to show only fps number in the OSD, without any labels.

7. Drimzi

Drimzi Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    :D

8. Unwinder

Thanks, but I strongly dislike the idea of collecting donations and would feel really bad seeing that users are paying for new functionality. I've read the suggestion but cannot promise anything, currently I'm too busy with preparing new beta.

9. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Well, it is possible to show only the fps number, with RTSS "show own statistics" option. It's just not possible to toggle between afterburner's OSD and RTSS framerate counter at the moment, though seeing that the next beta version of afterburner is going to support plugins, I wonder if it will be possible to use the RTSS framerate counter as a plugin there?

10. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    I can understand... I'll patiently wait for the feature to get added in weeks, months, or years -- but sooner the better, obviously.

Right now, RTSS has shown to be the most accurate external frame rate capping utility, and it's a great candidate for predictive/adaptive frame rate capping.

If you wish, you can eventually add unannounced config options in a quick-dirty way, I'll privately do fluidity & high speed camera tests, confirm if it worked, then once working properly, you can publicly announce (before I say anything). Basically, free beta-test verification-test offer, to save your time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    enkoo1, yasamoka, Yashiro and 2 others like this.

11. Unwinder

hehe, most fun thing is that frame capping was never planned as a separate and primary feature. I added it as a helper for videocapture engine, because capturing a video with frame capping enabled may greatly improve resulting captured VFR video smoothness. Then people started using it as independent feature ;)

yasamoka and Yashiro like this.
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yep, a lot of people would really be most appreciative of the possibility of that feature in the future; many people just can't afford high end gsync/freesync monitors so it would be a great asset to reducing latency with Vsync.

Maybe you can add it to a possible future possibility on AB 4.5?
    You could leave it for advanced users through ini for a quick easy fix temporarily until more free time is available.

13. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Actually even with VRR (be it g-sync or freesync,) RTSS is indispensable. It's the best option to ensure the monitor stays within g-sync range, if the game in question does not offer a frame limiter (and let's face it, a huge amount of games don't have a limiter, especially older ones.)

And even in some games that do offer a frame limiter, RTSS is doing a better job. An example here is Witcher 3, where the in-game limiter sometimes has micro-stutter (even with g-sync), while RTSS does not.

Predictive limiting is obviously a non-trivial thing to implement. However, the fixed throttle limiting suggestion should be an easier thing to add, so I hope we get to see at least that. It would be a great tool for both VRR as well as vsync off without VRR. The lower the frame rate gets, the bigger the latency benefit of such an option becomes (1440p and 4K are the prime use cases here.)

14. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Guest

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    Is high CPU usage to be expected when a lot of monitoring options are enabled?
    I think it's the CPU usage monitoring that's doing it, as Afterburner seems to idle at about 20% CPU usage on one core for me now if I use a profile that displays framerate/frametime, gpu usage, and per-core CPU usage.
    If I switch to a profile that only displays framerate/frametime and GPU usage, it drops to 1%.
    Afterburner is polling at 100ms, and it's running on an R7-1700X. This is without a game running or anything displaying the OSD via RTSS.

15. Unwinder

Polling hardware at 100 milliseconds, especially a lot of secsors, is not a wise and actually BAD idea, if you don't understand what result to expect. Polling hardware is ALWAYS consuming CPU time. But doing it once per second and eating for example 1% of CPU time easily transforms into 10% if you simply decide to poll it 10 times more frequently. That's exactly what you are doing, that's exactly why there is status bar in hardware monitor, that's exactly why there is performance profiling related info (polling time/update time) displayed there.

16. gatecrasher

gatecrasher Guest

GPU:
    8GB GTX 1070
    It just seemed like a big jump to go from ~1% to ~20% when enabling the per-core CPU monitoring.
    I've had Afterburner polling at 100ms for years as I find it important to catch anything unusual happening performance-wise in games, and if I'm not mistaken it used to also affect the framerate/frametime display. (which can now be set to update every frame via RTSS)

It looks like polling rate is also stored as part of the profiles, so I'll probably make one that just doesn't have anything enabled and switch to that when I'm not playing a game.

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Suggestion: Adding latest MSI Kombustor in Afterburner/RTSS package?

18. Unwinder

MSI Kombustor is a third party product with own update schedule, independent of MSI AB and RTSS. In addition to that it is not needed for AB functionality and used by rather small part of AB users, but including it in AB bundle will effectively double the installer size for everyone. So I don't feel that it is a good idea due to these reasons.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  19. Yvese

Yvese Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    I'm having an issue with the new beta where my monitoring settings are resetting. Playing a different game after adjusting my settings seems to have a high chance to reset it. I installed the newest beta by just overwriting the old installation like always.

20. Unwinder

The same answer is repeated over and over again. PLEASE invest a few miniutes into reading the release of notes before submitting a "bug". Monitoring settings are now a part of profile. You're resetting them yourself by applying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.