Aftermath of a blown psu?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrCompillitrate, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    I was playing the Witcher last night on my tv, and *pop* computer powers down. My first thought is a breaker, but my monitor is still on, yet no power whatsoever to the PC. No Gpu power indicator, no ambient lights (i have the ASUS hero) and both the start and stop button are off. Everything's still hot, i take the side panel off, the back of the PC smells like fried electronics...left it unplugged overnight, still nothing this morning.
    Now, I'm fairly certain the PSU is bad and my question is: What kind of damage could i be facing? I've never had a PSU go out, but i have had PCs shut off from power outtages. Is this more or less the same effect as a hard reset(shutdown)?

Thanks

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Good PSUs usually take out themselves without damage to other hardware. Bad PSUs can take out everything

What model PSU do you have?

3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    You really will not know for certain until you plug in a fresh PSU. More than likely things should be ok since PSUs have overload circuits.

4. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    It's a Sentey i got off Amazon, lasted 18 months. http://www.sentey.com/en/mbp1000-hm/ the specs looked decent, this was also bought with a gtx970 and i've gone to a gtx1070 and now a 1080ti. Could this cause my games to crash in 4k?

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's probably fine. I've had a PSU die on me before, and there was no damage to the other components (and this was an older PSU from the 2000s - newer ones should be even safer).

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not a single review of that PSU online, in those cases I would not buy it.
    Sentey has rebranded superflower PSUs which are decent and also has some really bad PSUs; you really don't know what you have until a reviewer tells you.

Stick to a reputable brand if you buy another one.

7. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Hmmmm, I dont think your ASUS oir CPU was the cause of this.. I think it was your PSU, blowin up your sh*T. Im hundred percent it was the PSU's fault. ASUS motherboards will not just pop and die on you. It's military grade, that's no joke.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Never heard of this brand, but I kind of made the same mistake as you with my last PSU (a Nexus RX-1.1K GOLD 1100W, same small form factor as yours, not sure what the OEM soruce was before the rebrand) that even though lasted me like 4-5 years, it showed some massive incoming failure signs before I changed it. These were either PC shutting down or reseting without reason, and for a time I blamed my OCs, or weirder, PC turning itself on during Sleep.

So yeah, I dodged that bullet, if I would have hooked my 1080Ti to it I'm 99% sure it would have failed immediately.

Always go for expensive quality PSUs in the future. Since even if they fail, like the others said, they will die alone. Hopefully it was the same with this Sentey of yours!

9. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    Hammie:I remember hating ASUS a few years ago, now my last 2 Mobos and last 3 GPUs have been ASUS.

Solfaur:It worked with my 970 when i bought it, but when i got the 1070 i noticed more BSODs and game crashes. Let alone playing the Witcher in 4k..

It started as a budget build that i've since upgraded. When i first built it i had an AMD 8320 and a GTX970...

Agent101:I just bought this one: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002917 Should be here today.

I've heard good things, but what is everyone's opinion on Thermaltake for PSUs? I just hope it didn't take anything with it. Atleast the 1080ti is still under the 30 day replacement..I just can't imagine having to rebuild an i7 PC. I still have the AMD8320/970Aura for back up... lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That PSUs quality is fine, not the best but can't complain for the price.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah that TT should be alright and the 10 year warranty is a plus.

12. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    It was bad luck my friend, as I said ASUS aint gonna just blow up on you. It's hundred percent PSU fault. Thank goodness it didnt blow out any of your hardware when it exploded. Get a temporary PSU until you RMA this one. gl

13. MrCompillitrate

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    I really like that it has monitoring software that i can monitor from my phone, matches my fans (RIING) and it's RGB like my GPU and motherboard. It has a 10 year(Limited) warranty.

Fingers crossed the old one didn't take anything with it. I should be able to install the new PSU in a few hours.