Project Cars 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Asher

Asher Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    Forza definitely has the edge on the content, but for me Project Cars bit more enticing since for the most of time i am using thrustmaster tx racing. Not sure but i guess Forza is still very much gamepad first.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Well Forza Motorsport has upgrades (which are presented in a way that makes it clear what does what to a non-petrol head like myself) plus the ability to add different skins to the car for a more personal look. I don't recall seeing either of those in Project CARS (maybe I just missed them though...?) and I found the Career mode progression a bit confusing, not helped by the fact that I started off doing the kart racing which really wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be (and it seemed to last forever!).

If Slightly Mad can improve on that for the sequel with a more clearly defined career mode then I should enjoy it more. However, based on the previous games, it is why I am more looking forward to Forza 7 then Project CARS 2 because with six previous titles under their belt Turn 10 know how to make a game that appeals both to solo and online gamers and both casual and experts alike.

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    agreed, looking forward to forza myself.

4. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    PCars has all kinds of different liveries, both real and artificial ones. So that should suffice.
    Also, there's a vast amount of setup options. There's no upgrading/changing parts as that doesn't fit racing cars on one hand or the realistic background on the other hand.
    If you're done with a good setup for each track and weather, with all the suspension settings, aero settings, different tires, engine and gearbox settings, there's little to no room left for something else :)

5. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Apparently some kind of NDA lifted recently, as their are all kinds of awesome PCARS 2 videos showing up. I've seen several cars that are listed as the "TBA" cars in the official list. The GT Lamborghini I was hoping for is in!

Lamborghini Huracan Super Trofeo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37A8Vx772bE

Ferrari F40 LM - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3Wuw9MrZ4

Ferrari F50 GT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGoU3qFsmI

Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwMItOrPFZo

Ferrari LaFerrari - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-43-g77G0M

Looks like they do in fact have the entire holy trinity and were just holding it back. :) Definitely preordering soon!

EDIT - and the video showing all of the cars in the game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSDQsbIdos

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Totally with you on this, as a predominately single player user myself I found the career mode totally underwhelming with little to no incentive to play through it, not to mention that the AI was quite possibly the worst I've encountered in several years.

I've pre-ordered Gran Turismo Sport and Forza Motorsport 7, I won't be buying this at all.

7. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX690
    I'm not sure I'd rate Forza's career, they are terrible IMO, especially compared to GT which they were trying to emulate. Forza 4 for example (the last one I played) is basically no different to PCars except cars are locked behind a meaningless paywall so it doesn't feel like progression at all but a long grind, 1/2 the races weren't even included in the career and had to be raced in the even more uninspired event list. I'd be very surprised if it changed much in 5/6 and I'm not expecting much from 7.

Sure it's a better game in a number of aspects but it's awful at actually simulating motorsport rules, atmosphere etc. which personally is more important than car upgrades and certainly autovista. Grid 1 is my personal favourite of the recent racing games that hasn't been matched or emaulated even by later grid games.

It does have custom liveries on PC but not inbuilt to the game which makes it less accessible for players but also far easier for painters as they can use the same software they would normally.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I also agree with the fact that GT and FM games tend to have better career modes than PCARS, especially FM6 with its Porsche and NASCAR expansions. 90% of what I do in these games in free play/quick play with my own little twists and setup situations to keep it interesting.

The part that seems odd to me is saying PCARS racing AI is worse than Forza. If you don't mind some more detail on that I'm genuinely interested in what aspects you are referring to. In my case, having played every Forza game from launch day, I had become all too familiar with their shortcomings and quirks. Anything from slamming the brakes mid corner or mid straight, to the lack of general pace on some tracks or ribbons. I find that pretty much every corner in every race on PCARS feels like an edge of my seat race with the AI behaving like expected in a race. The exception here being the car magnetism in PCARS 1 where a single bumper tap going into a corner pulls you both off track, but this has been fixed for PCARS 2.

I don't want to clog this thread up with too much detail, but in FM6 I have very little issue getting 1st place in every race (street, GT3, LMP1 and more) even on the difficulty that is supposed to humble me. In PCARS it took me weeks to work up being able to reliably podium on 85 out of 100 difficulty. All in all I respect others decisions to buy whatever the heck they want, and I will surely pick up FM7 once it costs less and has some of the DLC content revealed.

9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The magnetic AI was definitely one of my main issues.

I'm assuming you're using a wheel playing at that difficulty, using a controller I could only really manage between 60/70 difficulty, the AI is just overly cautious when racing in close proximity with each other which results in them braking at stupid times, like half way down the main straight in Spa and forming a nice orderly 50 mph queue when going up Eau Rouge.

Never really felt like a racing game, more like a hot lap simulator, which is fine if your into that kind of thing, but personally I need a feeling of progression and reward to make it worth my time.

I think it's just pretty obvious that the single player portion of the game was thrown in there to try and keep people happy, while the main focus was on the multiplayer which I guess is what most people play.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Ah, you make some valid points. Magnetism does bother me, but not for too much longer with PCARS 2 on the way. I actually use an old 2006 Xbox 360 controller from when I first bought my console to get ready for Forza 3. Never had room for a wheel setup with how our TV and computer stuff is setup, but my ~2 decades of racing games with controllers has given me some pretty fine control. I have experienced the "slow lane" AI thing at Spa and the hairpin at Rouen les Essarts, so hopefully PCARS 2 can help with those choke points. The 0-100 timid to aggressiveness setting in PCARS 2 seems like it should help with tuning the AI to how you want them to fight with you on the track.

I saw a video of GT1 class racing at Monza and one of the AI passed a guy and held a defensive line up to and through the first chicane so the human player was forced to tap the brakes in the apex. That made me smile and have hope. I understand the lack of single player progression. That also disappointed me at first, but I love so many other aspects I manage to get around it. For example, in all the other racing titles with Bathurst that I've played I usually manage anywhere from 2:08:4xx to 2:09:.8xx in GT3 cars and never quite trust the car enough to push for more without wrecking. After a few sessions of testing and tuning the MP4-12C GT3 in PCARS 1 I ran a 2:05:2xx yesterday and the car felt like it was nailed to the track. Still nowhere near SVG's time of 2:01 something, but I was super happy.

All in all, I hope you enjoy your racing time wherever that may be and I have enjoyed the rational and constructive criticism you've laid forth. The last few months of this year look great for racing game fans. :nerd:

11. Pey

Pey Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 980 STRIX @ SLI
  12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Same here. I'll be getting home 2 hours after we are "allowed" to unlock the preloaded files. I'm going to do one last race in PCARS 1, then jump into PCARS 2 with the same car at the same track. I hope to be pleasantly surprised. :)

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Played this for an hour last night after it unlocked at midnight (unfortunately, on my PC the game took an hour to decrypt and unpack the files so it was midnight before I was even able to play it!) and first impressions are that this is a much improved sequel in terms of overall presentation with voice-overs and lots of onscreen help to explain things. This is a great. Graphically the game looks pretty much as it did before and runs about the same too at least in the early stages (Brands Hatch in a Renault Clio gives me around 115 fps on ave. during qualifying and around 90-100 fps during races). There is only a choice of MSAA *or* post-process FXAA/SMAA now; you cannot use both, which is a disappointment as, personally, I find neither completely eliminates aliasing but together they would be more effective (at the cost of some texture blurring). I hope they patch that so we can use both.

In terms of gameplay though, I must admit I'm struggling to get good lap times (11th out of 12 is the best I could do) and I'm finding the car handling a bit more slippery than, say, the Forza games. It does feel very similar to the first game though and will take some adjusting to. I cannot say whether it is more realistic as I don't drive but it is certainly different from other racing games I've played. The cars don't seem to have any sense of weight IMO like they do in, say, WRC 7 or the Forza Motorsport 7 demo, which I'm also playing at the moment.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    thats why my mate, im sticking to the tried and tested turn10 amazing game called forza motorsport xd, i won t bother with any other racing game at the moment, we have a gem in forza

15. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    They do seem to be more slippery than the first version, could this be changed in the setup? I tried the Corvette and it seemed to be on ice.
    I do like the addition of Indy and that one classic Indy racer they include.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The problem I have with the Clio I'm currently racing in is that the car feels disconnected from the road due to its lightweight feel and lack of traction. I am playing it with all the assists on as well yet I'm still managing to spin out on corners unless I brake harder than I would expect to (which means the A.I. drivers speed right past me!). Maybe I'm just spoilt by the more arcadey "sims" and this is how a real car feels but, based on other racing games I've played with assists on, this game does feel completely different. It almost plays like other games with all the assists off, actually! :D

Going on feel alone, I think I much prefer Forza Motorsport and Horizon's car handling. They have a real sense of weight, each car feels different and the assists work exactly how I'd expect them to. PC2 seems to be much less accessible because of this but that could be intentional to give the game a more realistic feel and a bigger challenge to racing the cars, i.e. it aims to be more realistic. That said, this does remind me a lot of Slightly Mad's earlier SHIFT games in terms of handling.

Can anyone who drives actually comment on the handling here? Is it more realistic than other games (with and without assists)?

17. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    If this game is like the first one for wheel setup's. Try this work;s for my g27 LGS degree of rotation 900, game degree of rotation 860.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i thought Forza 7 looked amazing until i saw PC2

it's a beautiful game

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    who said that the driving model like this means it aims to be more realistic, forza motorsport 7 has the best realistic handling i can see in racers of late, i love that game, i will try pcars 2 but i think i will find the handling not very good compared to forza..

20. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Bought and refunded PC2 and won't be getting F7 either. Not my tempo this year. Might get PC2 at a (much) later time when bugs are fixed.