Intel 8-core LGA1151 Processor For Z390 Could Be 14 nm Coffee Lake After All

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jdc2389

jdc2389 Guest

GPU:
    980ti 1408/3650
    Z370/z390 more of the same crap, people are tired of getting burned by Intel with all these anti-consumer practices, barely incremental cpu steps and endless chipsets. Some bad trolls in this thread though. But feel free to buy x299 with no soldering and a raid key. Here's hoping Zen 2 can clock higher and I can finally upgrade. Xmas season 2018 is gonna be good.

Silva likes this.
  2. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Fanboy crap on any tech site you go to! I do have a soft spot for Amd, but I'll tell you now, my money goes on the best chip that i can afford for my needs, regardless of it being intel or amd. My stay with intel these last 20rs or more has been good, expensive yes. Sold my £340 skylake before any review came out about ryzen. I Took a chance and now have a Ryzen 1700, cheaper, 8 cores. happy to say, the gamble paid off.

But you lot that fanny around with this fanny crap - you are either slightly touched in the head or you are just plain kids. If i upset anyone, good , its because you fit in with what i am saying :D

3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Not that surprising, they will need something to fill the gap until icelake, especially with 7nm zen launching in 2018

It's not quite the same, strangely the v56 scores within the margin of error at the same memory and core speeds as the v64 in games, even though it has 8 fewer cus , definitely something funky going on , whether its a hw issue or sw problem is not known.

Loophole35 likes this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Well, if this year is anything to go by, 2018 should be just as frenetic for team blue. ;) I think they're still trying to find their footing after Ryzen, and I expect more accelerated product launches and announcements (and hopefully, cheaper products). It'll be interesting to see what AMD does with Zen 2, although I'm pretty happy where I am now.

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That is because Vega actually has less memory bandwidth than Fiji, and Fiji XT already had a memory bottleneck.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    #Burn

Although expensive, Nvidia have been pushing the performance forward. They sandbag their GPU's with cut down versions because they have no competition and they can afford to release a new "Ti" model and such.
    Intel is just releasing the same CPU each year and changing the chipset wile at it...

7. hamltnblue

hamltnblue Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    AMD hasn't shaken intel this much since the good ole FX-51 back in '03

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Without competition every companies does the same, even AMD... This doesn´t mean it´s the correct way of doing business but it´s just the way it is.

About Nvidia pushing performance forward while Intel´s performance has stagnated, we can´t forget we are comparing GPUs against CPUs. It´s much easier to increase GPU performance than CPU performance! Now Intel and AMD are increasing core counts to push performance but at some point that is going to end. And when that happens CPU performance is going to remain the same for the next years unless there´s some kind of breakthrough...

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    New rule - if someone doesn't use quotes """ correctly, no one responds to them. It's hard enough keeping track of a conversation, if you can't figure out quotes then GTFO. A block of text is impossible to put together with 2, 3, 4 quotes.

Regarding the rumor - if true it this will likely stop me from considering the 6-core Coffeelake. That purchase was already 50/50 - waiting to see how Raven Ridge performs for the real AMD vs Intel competition. But if an Intel 8-core model in the S or K line is coming in 12 months, I can wait. Hope we hear some more/better sourced intel *har har* on this so buyers can make informed choices.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Maybe I'm getting too old but I'm with Agent. These conversations and debates are hard to read when half of it is either trolling or off-topic. Maybe I'm just no fun.

There, now I did it too. Meanwhile, I'm glad we're getting all these new processors from both teams. People complain about too many sockets but I never really understand the issue. I can count the number of times I've actually removed a CPU from a board to upgrade it on one hand. Typically, in my little world, a new CPU gets a new motherboard, every time.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    Exactly. I just posted a lengthy diatribe in another article with the same point - every time I'm ready to upgrade a CPU, I'm definitely ready to upgrade my mobo/chipset/connections too. While I can upgrade a GPU everyt 2-4 years, I upgrade my CPU 5+ years...by that time there was always a dozen reasons to upgrade the MB. You have changes in everything from SATA, PCIe, RAM, LAN, USB, Wi-Fi, internal audio, etc. Chipsets have all sorts of extensions and support for the newest standards before they're eventually baked into the CPU. In my 20 years of building and using computers, I can't really ever remember a time where I wasn't just as excited to upgrade the MB as the CPU. Sure it'd be a nice possibility but it's far from The Greatest Injustice The World Has Ever Seen® (as many seem to think).

13. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    this ^^^^

I am old. maybe that's why all these forums feel childish with there fanny inserts. Tired of it, but dont mind some humour :p

14. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dunno, intels strategy prevents amusing things like this
    from existing, I mean what if i wanted to use an old athlon 64 x2 and then upgrade to an fx-8320e later.

:rolleyes:

all jokes aside, i think the many chipsets intel is pushing is more of a side effect of their internal issues, ie loss of DT cannonlake and them being forced to launch really early. z370 looks like it will get an upgrade path , so it shouldn't be that big of a deal , unless its very very flawed.

X299 however, I suspect will never get a 10nm cpu, seems really far behind, unless intel is intending to launch a surprise cannon lake X in 2018 , i don't see how it can remain relevant. 2014 intel tech vs 7nm zen cores in 2018/19 seems like a losing strategy to me,

If icelake DT is 2019, icelake HEDT seems very very far away, at which point x299 will be very very dead.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Agree to the first point.

No, it's not easier. Nvidia just went with the route of: let's make a bigger and more expensive die, like Intel is doing with their 18 cores for example. What will lead to? Poor yields and exorbitant prices.
    I said in a thread not long ago that you shouldn't go past 300mm2 or so. Past a certain point you're just going to have too much yield problems and few working chips to divide the cost between. A company that designs a chip with that in mind will have the most profit and will be the more competitive, even if the product isn't king. I still can't see Polaris at MSRP here, they're terrible overpriced.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Honestly GPU prices have been kept at fairly low prices all things considered. There are very low margins on GPU's unlike CPU's where say a Vega 64/56 cost AMD around $300-350 to actually make, a R3,5,7 cost about $75 to make. Attacking GPU prices is a moot point. Now GPU's tend to be higher volume sales though than CPU's as most people that build PC's tend to do 2-3 GPU upgrades on a CPU.

What is going to increase GPU prices is that as the node shrinks continue the cost per transistors it now increasing not decreasing as before. I expect a across the board price increase with the next true node change from both AMD and Nvidia.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    If they make the GPU die small enough, they can dilute the price increase of making the wafer over the number of chips made in it. The problem is: Nvidia started to make the die bigger and bigger to stay on top and that drives the price up too. The thing is: people buy them anyway so Nvidia didn't bother staying small.

RX580 is 232mm2 and 229MSRP
    1060 is 200mm2 and 299MSRP
    Who do you think is making more money per wafer?
    A wafer is 300mm diameter right? That's 54 Polaris or 64 Pascal. Assuming 100% yields that's 700$ more per wafer for Nvidia.

This is gone too much of topic I believe.