Dishonored II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The lighting in Outsider seems softer, it helps really add to the atmosphere of the interior locations.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

Had some time and went through the game exe, just what is in there anyways since the resulting text dump was a full 13 MB and took a long time to open. :D
    (Usually you get a 3 - 5 MB dump depending on the game, granted the tech in this particular engine seem to be quite impressive from what little I've actually learned about it though yeah that's a lot of data.)

Anyways as usual I do a few searches for existing saved cvars to see if it found anything for those which it did and then I did searches for these cvars which I found some of them at least but less success with some of the others.

It does seem to work the same way as Dishonored 2 did at least, existing cvars get purged from the config file if they match the default already so if you open dishonored_DOConfig.cfg and insert these two.
    r_shadowsBloodflies "1"
    r_shadowsRats "1"

They will just be deleted, however if you set them to "0" they will be saved in the file and persist, however some cvars can't be changed at all and will just be purged regardless which I assume is down to some of them being protected or restricted, at least the text dump included most of the cvar descriptors so you can get some idea of what these settings do. :)

Also noticed the CPU usage is pretty impressive for this game, near 96% or so so it's almost entirely loaded which is always nice to see.
    (Multi threaded rendering too I believe which isn't generally pointed out but there's a number of games now for DX11 that makes use of this, engine does have it's quirks too though such as being dependent on a constant 60 FPS for complete smoothness.)

3. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Finished it, a little over 10 hours. And I missed a lot in the final mission since I was trying to "ghost" it. And I did. :)
    Overall, I really liked it. I've always loved the art style of these games, they look so great. And, thankfully this one performs amazingly well.

Will definitely post some more in depth thoughts later. But, now... I have an urge to replay the first game. Again.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    what do u mean u finished it? which one, the outsider?

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Death of the Outsider. Finished it at a little over 10 hours, like right under 11.
    While it is a bit more... "focused" (I don't want to say linear) then the previous game, it's still a great game. With tons of options for you to tackle things your own way, find things on your own... and really explore the world itself.

I'll definitely replay it. But, now that they've wrapped up the Kaldwin story arc... I'm curious were they will go from here.

ramthegamer likes this.
  6. niczerus

niczerus Guest

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 580 4GB
    I tested Death of the Outsider and i see a few squares artifacts with the dinamic resolution on ON / Performance mode , the performance its "ok" , but on some glass windows the fps drops to 40-50 fps without a reason , you see to other side and 60 fps again .

Like this , they never fixed this problem xD .

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  7. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    I do not understand how a company like Bethesda has let lose a game as important as Dishonored 2 for some technical flaws that surely they could easily fix, I am sure that if they patched it, sales would be imposed again for this game.

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i still can t fix this dire awful fps drop when u turn the mouse around, god awful its so so irritating, why this shite optimization bethesda?

9. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Because of shityyy idTech5 engine,because of idiotic Carmack junk company called id and their shityyy engine,because of greedy Bethesda to not develope a new engine for entire company(falloout 4 old engine speak for himself), because of idiot Todd Howard and so on. ;)

Good game,but bad,very bad engine used for him.

I guess for Prey, the Arkane Austin Texas studio give a big middle finger to Bethesda and idtech5,because Prey 2017 is made it on CryEngine.
    (The game's development was led by Arkane Studios CEO and director Raphaƫl Colantonio and his team in Austin, Texas.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    PREY is on CryEngine because it started development before idTech6 was ready, and before Arkane Lyon was ready with Void. No conspiracy theory, nothing more... nothing less.

And, if idTech5 is the cause for DisHonored II's poor PC release... was does Wolf:TNO and TOB work so well? Why does Death of the Outsider run beautifully?
    DH2's PC version was not given as much attention as it should have. Something Arkane have even owned up to, and something they've said they won't do again. And they've made true on that promise with two releases.

And, really, PREY being on CryEngine doesn't make it run great. Plenty of games on CryEngine have ran like crap and had plenty of issues.

11. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    death of the outsider have the same issue as d2, god awful annoying as hell fps drop when u turn mouse suddenly

12. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    No conspiracy here.

If in this game have enabled v-sync+triple buffering+v-sync based->>>better stable frames and no stuttering.Ofc depends on what you set in game settings.
    The game and his engine dont accept 60+fps,this engine is not made it for over 60fps.Over 60fps or you not lock @ 60 the game will begin to stutter.Why?Ask id & Carmack. :D

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I had no drops while playing it. It held a solid 60fps the entire time, I was even able to push settings higher then DisHonored 2.

That's common knowledge.
    idTech5 was designed around 60fps from day one. It's no secret. And Carmack was very open about why, it was his first time designing an engine for consoles, and he set a goal for himself that the consoles would target and hold 60fps.
    He wanted to deliver a game with zero control latency. Where control input to in game movement was 1:1.

He was also very open that he was disappointed that idTech5 was used as long as it was. Carmack planned on the engine only being used during the Xbox 360 generation, and when the next gen came around... he would develop a new engine that allowed higher technical abilities, but also higher frame rates.
    And, while that didn't happen for him, id Software did follow suit with idTech6.

People have found work arounds for RAGE and Wolf:TNO... going above 60fps, but... it can cause issues in stability and other areas. Void allows uncapped frame rates, and as Outsider shows, can run smoothly without issue. DH2's release was just rushed on the PC side of things.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    @Damien_Azreal , i m getting killed a lot in death of the outsider, everytime i have to change my style of play to stealth everytime i end up being detected i try to run but end up dead, its a very slow pace to me i find myself itching to get to objectives, but i like the whole dishonored premise as it is, im in mission 3 now the bank job..

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm confused... why did her arm come back?

[​IMG]

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It depends on how handled the "Crack in the Slab" mission. If you didn't kill Aramis Stilton, then Megan doesn't get in the fight that costs her her arm and eye.

Turanis and KissSh0t like this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Ohh cool.. I didn't think about that with the time piece thingy.

18. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Damn, just finished this amazing game, loved every minute. Wonderful level design, art style and attention to detail. Jindosh's mansion and crack in the slab were masterpieces.

19. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, Death of the Outsider lacks any real stand out missions like those two. But, it's still a great addition to the series.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Was the game ever patched to solve the constant stuttering?