Which monitor to go with vega64

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MoD, Sep 11, 2017.

1. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    As the title says which monitor would you choose to go with the Vega64?

Samsung CF791 or the new C32HG70?

I can not for the life of me make my mind up on these 2.

Thank you

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    As far as I know, HDR isn't working as well as we would like with several, if not all monitors. Quantom Dot backlights provide a wider gamut, which, when uncorrected for, would turn every single game out there, and the entire Windows environment, into an oversaturated mess (with the exception of color-aware applications such as Photoshop).

4. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    Still don't know what to get or do i wait a bit longer to see what else come's out?

Thanks

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    http://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/

1) What is your budget?
    2) Do you want UltraWide, or would you like to consider 4K UHD?
    3) Does it need to be curved?

On that list, the top 1440p curved FreeSync 34" 75Hz is approximately $1800.

In contrast, my Samsung UE510 UHD 28" FreeSync 60Hz is $299 @ Costco.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Consider LG monitors, I love 'em more.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Get a 1080. Vega64 is a total waste of money.

8. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    Thank you Chastity.

I already own the Samsung 590D but in some games ( im a old fart ) some UI's dont scale in 4k so cant really see it clearly, i then have to drop the res down but then it goes blurry.

I already own a MSI VEGA64 A/C, I did buy the Samsung CF791 but when i powered it on i was using a R9 390 i had the dreaded flicker plus it had yellow hue down both sides and Gray bar across the top so wasn't happy about it and then paying £750+ i wouldn't accept it so sent it back. But i did like the wideness of the monitor and it being 1440p was nice with the games i tried it on.

So budget wise would be around £700 - £900 but would need to be freesync.

Thank You

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    So it sounds to me, esp with a nice card you have, you're looking at a 1440p Ultrawide with FreeSync. The site I linked include some excellent choices, including the aforementioned C32HG70. Now you just need to find one on that list that is in your budget.

10. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    I will have a good look through the list thank you.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Vega64 is a very poor choice compared to other offerings, pretty much all reviews state it's a 'failure'.

Only vega56 should be considered.

12. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    HOw freaking hard is it to pick a monitor in today's market :)

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That looks to be a really good website for getting a nice overview of how things look like on the monitor market currently, at least for gaming. :)

2560x1440 Would definitively be a good spot for Vega especially if going for a 120hz monitor or above. :)
    21:9 Ultra-Wide at 3440x1440 is something too but support can vary especially for older games so that's something to consider as well.

Beyond that I guess it's just down to a lot of reading on features and specs and then tech such as TN vs IPS vs VA and all that fun stuff, HDMI and DP revisions and perhaps other user opinions and full reviews of whatever monitor that might be of interest.
    It's going to last a few years (hopefully.) so best to be prepared.

EDIT: And yeah costs, IPS tends to be a bit pricey and then there's tech such as FreeSync for a AMD GPU and preferred display resolution and also the refresh rate.

14. MoD

MoD Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800XT
    Thank you for the info.

I ended up buying the Acer XF270HUA, I know it is only 27" but what a difference it makes with 144hz, i know i wanted a big monitor but the price tag that goes with them is a bit stupid for what they are.

So thank you for the info again.

Lance

15. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Depends on the price and the card. Some Vega56's are bad, some good, some 64's bad, some good. Silicon lottery and all...
    If you get a Vega64 at a price lower than a 56 is it still a poor choice???

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Nothing I said has anything to do with silicon lottery.
    All I meant was vega64 is a stupid buy for the price.

Especially now considering it costs more than 1080Ti
    Practically zero difference between 56 and 64 performance

17. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Actually yes it did. You state pretty much all reviews state it's a 'failure'. Well that also has to do with the silicon lottery of what their review sample was capable of and whether the reviewer even got the settings for the card right before testing. I was surprised how much I needed to undervolt mine to get consistent performance without thermal throttling.

The avg pricing is high, but not near 1080Ti in Australia. Maybe in Europe or USA, but here it's well below the 1080Ti's. The Liquid Cooled ones are close to 1080Ti prices though.

Every other week a deal pop's up for a cheap V56 or V64 air cooled so keeping your eye out can nab a great bargain compared to the equally overinflated prices of the 1070/1080/1080Ti's...

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    How does this help your argument?

Suppose the cause for this failure is attributed to, as you say, the silicon lottery. Would you still pay for a product where it's a matter of luck whether you get a product that passes as a failure or a success?

How much does the silicon lottery matter in terms of performance? Will the card occupy another performance bracket when this lottery is considered? Can you demonstrate with some benchmarks?

The bolded part says it all. You paid for a product you need to undervolt in order to run at (or even below) specification?

None of the current generation GPUs demonstrate significant performance benefits due to higher clockspeeds. They're all pretty much saturated architectures.

There's a reason Vega 56 and 64 are pretty close in terms of performance yet the 56 is quite more efficient. The 64 represents Vega being pushed too far (into the territory of poor performance / watt) while the 56 represents a safer region of performance / watt.

19. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    TBH I guess it doesn't help the argument to buy one. They do need tweaking to get the best out of them though, which will put a lot of potential purchasers off them. It was one of the reasons I was more interested in them though.

Thing is for mine it's not a failure. I have a ton of overclocking headroom, it's a good thing mine does consistent high frequencies with such low voltages as it's reduced power draw and temps in the process. Undervolting it to 950mv instead of 1200mv on the P7 state gives it a consistent ~1580MHz in benchmarks and in games ~1620-1680MHz which is tecnically above spec for the stock BIOS (1652MHz is the stock P7 setting).

From the Silicon lottery perspective we deal with that with every CPU/GPU we buy. Even the NV's are lotteries especially if one likes to tweak and OC them. The early release Vega's were very hit and miss, 2nd batch much less so and 3rd batch should all be moulded cores and therefore much reduced variance in the product. One could say they should have tested that first and not released 3 core types, but well what's done is done.

If you are looking at it from the 'I just want to plug it in and get the best performance' point of view, then no they probably aren't the best card to buy. Not even trying to suggest they are. Though if at the right price (big if at the moment, though the MSRP's were the right price) then you can get GTX 1080 level performance out of the V56 when tweaked right and going forward there's going to be a fair few more games released with better DX12/Vulkan support giving them more legs too.

I've seen reasonable performance gain for higher frequencies, but I haven't got the PC to do that benchmarking yet. Will be doing some proper comparison runs next week between stock settings on the 200W BIOS 8730 (ships with 200W and 220W, but there's little to no difference between them perf wise) and the Liquid Cooled BIOS 8774 I have currently flashed on the card.

Yes the V56 and 64 are close and they'll remain close. If I were buying new now I'd be looking for a cheap V56, not a V64. I just happened to get lucky on a cheap V64 back in September (part of the 2nd batch of cards hence the 8730 BIOS). Over here currently there's no cheap V56's (last one at $615 AUD disappeared 2 days ago) and the cheapest V56's are currently $769 AUD, $100 more than what I paid for my V64. Though I'm sure that'll change again next week.

20. Astrix_au

Astrix_au Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX VEGA 64 Wave
    Vega has a lot of haters, I am looking forward to getting the 64 LCE.