Intel 6-core Coffee Lake Processors Launch October 5th

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 7, 2017.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    6 core is lame, they should be bringing 8 cores by now. 8 core intel cpu for 250 bucks, that would be a worthy upgrade in my opinion.

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I wouldn't say it's completely useless. The base clock is what the CPU will run at under the worst-case load scenario (e.g., if it's doing heavy AVX-512 work on all cores). The turbo speed is the best-case load scenario (e.g., if it's doing pure integer work on all cores). In mixed workloads the clock speed should be somewhere in between, but it's something to keep in mind if you plan on doing any sort of heavy computing on the processor.

My Threadripper 1950X runs at 3.4 GHz base and 4.0 GHz boost, but I rarely see that 4.0 clock. Running grid computing at 100% on all cores, it almost always runs at 3.4 GHz.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    not so sure bro!......quad core 7700k is kicking ass on 8 core stuff!....

6 core/12 8700k is gonna be the go to gaming processor!...Bet!

StewieTech likes this.
  4. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'd rather buy a good computer that's good for everything lasts more than 2 years and keep change in my pocket, over buying overpriced components from $hIntel that have no upgrade path and are last decade tech.
    I'd rather support an innovative company rather than a monopoly.
    I don't have high refresh rate monitors, so it's useless buying $hIntel for the only reason it's worth now.
    Same
    Same
    Games are transitioning to more than 4 threads for some time now, your average Intel CPU won't cut it soon.
    Having a 16 thread CPU will make up for it in 2 years.
    Those would either kill AMD or blow up on your face! XD
    I've seen the adored 7700k perform well on games being pushed 100% on all threads. What if I want to stream that game then...hm, what would it happen?

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    then get the 6core/12 8700k.....zoom zoom

[​IMG]

Emille likes this.
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    4-6-8-10 intel cores are much stronger than 6-8-12-16 amd cores in gaming, sorry I can't see any problem here

7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I could have bought the R51600 when I did, but then my gaming performance would have been even lower with my RX580 for the next few years and as a gamer that's a deal breaker, but I get it, a loud minority have a problem with Intel's business model and that's fine, but then again their CPUs are far superior and faster in gaming and that's all I could ever ask for as a gamer, which is why I much rather spend that hard earned money on a fully fledged six-core Coffee Lake motherboard upgrade combo that will last me forever and change my loud AMD frying pan of death for Volta while I'm at it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  8. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Actually, I'm considering a Ryzen 3 1200, since it goes for 109 USD, I might go for that i3 8100 if it costs the same or 10 USD more, AND the mobo must be crazy cheap as well.

For Overwatch you just need a CPU so the PC can boot lol

EDIT: I'm reading a lot of people bashing AMD and Ryzen, Its like they are mad at AMD for pushing Intel out of their way and hitting them with a bat in the face. If "core i9's" aren't the most retarded piece of crap out there I don't know what is plus the constant non-existant upgrades they had since 2nd gen iCores.

People should be thanking AMD and being happy for them, they got Intel out of their retarded way. So, I could say that Zen2 will change the game once again for Intel.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  9. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    lolllll Have you any idea how many people are still running Sandy Bridge chips? Including myself.. and it still kicks ass. If it weren't for badly wanting a platform upgrade, I'd probably still stick with it for another 2-3 years and just upgrade vid card for another cycle.

Its easily the best value CPU I've ever had and probably ever will have. If you're so concerned about money in your pocket, Computers are probably not a great choice of hobby for you.

Anyway, I'm very interested in the 8600k.. I don't think I will go with I7 this go around as I most use my system for gaming and overclocking.

Definitely interested to see some benchies with that chip.. hope it will be a juicy upgrade over the 2600k.

StewieTech and airbud7 like this.
  10. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Overpriced
    6 years lacking innovation
    Monopoly

For those three reasons: #IntelNo
    You can do whatever you want with your hard earned money. People also voted for Harambe on Murrica's election and look what they got...
    Now please don't go all fanboy on me because you bought the RX580 of your own free will, I don't see why this has anything to do with it.
    Now that this stupid forum layout doesn't show your build, people must think I own an FX or something...

Let's see if we can understand each other: everyone has a budget, not everyone lives in the same country or has the same wage. That said, I'm rocking an i5 2500k with 16Gb DDR3 and I already bough 2 GPU's after that.
    It is the best chip Intel released because they didn't release anything else for 6 years after!

At the moment I'm not lacking performance in games (yet) but I'm in very very need of productivity performance. It takes ages to render anything with this stupid 4 cores chip. Price/performance, AMD nailed Intel's coffin. I can't afford a 1070/1080/1080Ti so I would never notice the extra 5/10% fps in gaming compared to a i7 7700. Also, when you start gaming at 1440 or 4k there is no actual difference in fps.

So, make your research and buy what you think it's best for you at your budget.
    For your information, I never owned an AMD CPU and this is just my 2nd AMD GPU.

11. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Well, If you are comparing Intel i9 and AMD Threadripper in games then, in my opinion, you are doing it wrong. If you NEED and can AFFORD one of these chips, gaming is not your main goal, If you are spending $1000+ for a CPU and gaming is your concern then 1) You shouldn't be playing at 1080p 2) You wont use a Nvidia 1060 or an AMD RX 580, you are probably getting a Vega or a 1080+

So, if you are getting a high end GPU plus a 144hz 1440p+ monitor then a Threadripper would be a better choice, BY FAR, you can save over 1000 USD by going TR, get almost the same performance, more PCI lanes and have enough money for a good GPU and monitor.

Intel and AMD fanboys should stop talking, thanks to AMD, Intel had to rush out a bunch of overpriced CPUs with terrible specs, and change their next line up ($100 for a i3 Quad is great! ), BUT, Zen isn't a perfect CPU.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah Like with me I could upgrade but to me there is no point at this time because what would I use the extra cores and threads for? I only do gaming and emulation style gaming. With emulation style gaming IPC is far more important than the number of cores being that with the games I currently play with emulation only use the max of 2-3 cores depending on the emulator. With the games I do play either through GOG or Steam I don't play the latest AAA game or a game that is that CPU intensive. Yeah I know that games are going to use more cores as times goes on but for the time being I am happy where I am at. I am going to upgrade my Laptop to a proper gaming laptop since I am using one of them Mobile workstation Dells that is rocking a 2820QM which is fine and dandy but the GPU is what is keeping it down being a Workstation card rather than a gaming card.

Yeah the new forum layout is nice and all but annoying that you cannot view anyone's rig anymore without going to their profile page. Yeah you are correct when gaming beyond 1080p there is no FPS difference between CPUs that is when the GPU kicks in. Also I don't think Intel had a Monopoly they didn't have good competition because of AMD's chips before Zen just weren't as good as having an i5 or an i7. Yeah I agree that research is important when building your rig.

Silva likes this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

1080p is still standard res, 1440p which niche res for pc's as i dont really know any consoles or tv that that really do that res, other then convert that to native res of screen 4k is still pipe dream for most people do to cost gpu to feed them which why always brought up and 4k tv have almost no true 4k content, short of ultra bluray and few place that do stream 4k all of which horrible compressed.

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Dude...I would be mad as heck if I bought a new rizen setup only to see a 3 year old intel beat the crap out of it......At anything!......

Now go run your synthetic benchmarks while we live in the real world!

Emille likes this.
  15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With that statement you sound like a paid troll.

airbud7 likes this.

16. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    The only reason they're even at 1440p and beyond is because of GPU bottleneck, give it a few years and the difference at 1080p will happen at 1440p with newer GPUs in these games.

airbud7 and Emille like this.
  17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Me a fanboy, thats rich as a pile of crap. I had a dual xeon server, i7 3820 X79, 1050t AMD 970, and my Ryzen rig. And my walls are covered in Nvidia/AMD/ATi gpus. Intel and AMD motherboards as well.
    .I have not had a main rig of AMD for a long time. I wanted one. Ryzen made this happen again.
    No brand loyalty. Intel only had what met my needs sadly. Currently, I do not like Intels practices and decisions.
    I do not regret one second going to a R5 1500x from my 3930k. Everything feels snappier. I may just keep it till Zen 2 comes out and get the 6 core/12 thread cpu that drops with Zen2.
    Why get a new gpu. My fury still does fantastic @ 2560x1080 80hz on any game. Plus I have freesync. I wanted a more up to date system first before gpu. And honestly I dont want to go through the hassle of finding a Vega 56 that isnt $600 for a reference card.

HonoredShadow likes this.