Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1080 G1 overclocking.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Remekra, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Hi all,

I just got this GPU week ago, I tried to see how it OC's. I used Afterburner, have set the power limit to 108%(max that it says it can go) voltage to plus 100% and temp limit to 91 degrees, then I moved to changing the clocks. Tried +100MHz on the core for the start but it was no way stable, Heaven crashed, Superposition also.
    I have ended up with plus 50MHz on the core and +400MHz on the memory it is stable as in, it does not crash but the clocks are not constant. It can start with boost up to 2014MHz but then it goes down to a range from 1896-1974MHz. On the OSD I can see that I am hitting Power Limit and Voltage Limit sometimes for a couple of seconds. With overlock this low I do not think that this should happen, it seems strange to me. Any advice from you guys? Or did I just lose at silicon lottery?

Specs:
    Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3,4GHz
    16GB RAM DDR3
    Thermaltake SMART SE 530W PSU

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Unless you hit CPU bottleneck, welcome to the "Lost the Silicon Lottery Club".

Mine 1080Ti with AIO, refuses to clock past 2037. Not that it would give me a MASSIVE difference in FPS with say 2100hz OC, however still. For comparison my previous gtx 1080, clocked to 2150 stable.

Can't win them all, besides its a very powerful card Still and has plenty of power in it.

However if I was you, I'd take a more powerful PSU.

3. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Yeah I know CPU is not the best for that card, but I do not think that that's it, in the benchmarks that I made both CPU and GPU are utilized 100% if it was the CPU I think the utilization on GPU would be lower, more likely is I need to join this club :).
    PSU I also considered that it may be the culprit, I have read the spec and it supposedly can deliver 492W on the 12v line so I think that should be enough, but that is on paper only so I know that i can be lower than that.
    I am not complaining though, performance is great, it's just that after having a GTX 970 that could easily go to almost 1500MHz I just needed to scratch that itch to see how well will this card OC :D.

EDIT
    Also main problem for me is not the low overclock, like I said it is boosting with it to 2014MHz and that would be enough for me (call me crazy but I just like the fact that it is running at 2GHz :D ).
    It is just that it says that power limit is reached, voltage limit is reached and then goes down to 1914-1974 range (sometimes 1894MHz)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Mine does experience some fluctuations, however it stays above 2000 at all times. I would not exclude PSU. Larger PSU assures you that during spikes you have enough "juice" in your system.

Also your comparison of GTX 970 Vs GTX 1080 purely on clocks isn't exactly correct, they have drastically different PPC ( Performance per clock ). So in reality even if you ran them at identical clocks, 1080 would still outperform it. So don't worry about clocks that much, it works, its stable, temps ( I assume it doesn't throttle? ) are in check, rest can be blamed on CPU / PSU. ;)

5. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    I know that PPC is better on 1080, like I said I am not complaining on performance, it is just a curiosity about how much juice can I get out of this card. Comparison to the 970 was just about that, I got lucky with 970 as it could overclock very well without even raising voltage and here I just did not get so lucky so it seems, or maybe it is the PSU, I will maybe try to get my hands on wattmeter and see how much power system is draining. :)

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Also try this:

7. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    cant get over +50 on my TI i think a lot of them are pretty close to their limit

8. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Yeah I think that it is either the limit of this card or the PSU is not good enough, I will try to get my hands on wattmeter and see how much power my system is draining.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Try to measure overall system power consumption, however if it reaches limits of your PSU, it will fall due to "bottleneck" which may as well be the result of your clock drops.

Regardless if I were you I would go for at least Good 750w PSU, ideally 1000W. Mine is a bit overkill, but I did use SLI back in the day, it's 1200W, however this assures me one thing - no PSU limitations at all regardless of spikes.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The sad part is, no matter what you set in AB or elsewhere, depending on the limits in the vBIOS, the 1080Ti actually throttles below 40°C already. So unless you shove 20°C off your GPUs, I'm afraid you've hit your limit for your temperatures / setup.
    True, like cryohellinc said, it's not the best clocking chip either, but the puzzlebox "boost 3.0" screws the overclocker over pretty much (unless you flash different BIOS versions like no limits).

cryohellinc likes this.

11. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    I have GTX1080, not the Ti version, but I guess it's the same story when it comes to overlocking, I didn't try ramping up the fans, when I get home I will try just for the fun of it set them to 100% and see the clocks then :D .