AMD on the Ryze Bigtime with German Ryzen Sales

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Big German etailer sells more AMD procs now than Intel ones. Over the weekend the story broke as some reports had been published. The news is interesting as for many years now AMD has been an underdog...

AMD on the Ryze Bigtime with German Ryzen Sales

2. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Intel somewhat panicked and AMD have played their cards well(only on the CPU side unfortunately) - a great combination for the market. Now I'm curious about the performance of a Threadripper-based super computers.

3. Nyralim

Nyralim Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X OC/ 8192 MB
    GPUs are doing well as well. They are sold out everywhere, vega and the RX series. On the contrary NVidia GPUs are everywhere to be found. Greater stock perhaps, and because of mining craze, but still that's great for AMD.

4. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    That's great news for AMD. I also don't see that change anytime soon either. People are tired of paying a premium for sub par proc. Now Intel is trying to rectify this by giving you more cores, but don't forget that you will pay more for that than the previous generation and you will once again change your motherboard again.... AMD will for at least another 2 years refine the whole Ryzen proc lineup and maybe even drop the die size who knows? How on earth did AMD let Intel on a loose like this over the years? I honestly can't even see how people can still consider going the Intel route unless you are a die hard fan of them and like getting raped in the bottom side... LOL!

5. cala86

cala86 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 580@915
    Great. Still with a x5650@4ghz (cpuz bench, same multi thread performance of a i7 7700k) but when it will pass away, the choice will be for an AMD solution. Hope the Ryzen effect will make AMD able to improve and push forward all the graphic sector. Up to now, in my opinion, gaming on pc with those prices is not interesting unless you are an enthusiast gamer.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Being sold out everywhere isn't great for AMD because it means they can't produce enough merchandise and are losing profit. Sold out somewhere would be a healthy sign as it would indicate they are selling everything they manufacture but are also meeting the demand, more or less. Many a person will take a card from a competitor if an AMD card simply can't be bought because stores have nothing to sell.

That being said, I visited a computer store this past weekend and there actually were two Sapphire 580s sitting on the shelf. I wouldn't expect them to remain there for long.

7. Nyralim

Nyralim Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X OC/ 8192 MB
    I managed to buy a sapphire special RX580 (the blue one). Only RX 580 which would make me upgrade from 290x without additional costs. 15 pieces of them did the retailer get (in Greece) all flew away almost immediately. I was lucky. Truth be told. If I would upgrade now I would definetly go the Ryzen route. I just don't because i think my i7 4790K still performs like a champ.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great News!

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Good for them (and us!), we finally have healthy competition in the CPU segment.

10. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    We are still on the old Fx platform but this will be my next upgrade for sure,more then likely the 5 1600 6/12 the price is just perfect.

Yeah I cant believe Amd was able to pull this off,Now I know for damm sure Intel has to do something like match Amd prices at the very least.Very happy for them its no easy task taking out a giant like Intel.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I saw this over the weekend. It's good to see actual sales figures from a retailer/etailer (before now, all we could do was guess), and we can now say that Zen is a bonafide success. I can't wait to see what happens once the APUs arrive.

In particular, the 1600 really seems to have struck a chord with customers. Can't say I blame them, as it offers incredible value for the price. It's no wonder why Intel has been so panicky lately.

I use mine for grid computing, and it is phenomenal in that role, able to outperform my Ryzen 7 and Core i7 systems put together. It's definitely worth it for any app that can make use of all/most of the cores/threads.

12. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Years ago during the advent of the Athlon and the A64, for a couple of years there you couldn't find an Internet gaming site that was using Intel cpus...;) Seriously--that's a fact...Intel just, like, disappeared from view there for a couple years. If not for management problems at AMD at the time I doubt Intel would ever have retrieved the lead, especially since the Core 2 is based on AMD's x86-64 license which Intel used. But poor management came to AMD--and then it hit Microsoft as well in Windows 8 (Win 7 was Microsoft's best-selling OS in history when Microsoft decided to scrub it for Win8--incredible!) when the markets went bonkers temporarily for iPads, and all that unseemly, stupid over-priced, under-performing jazz.

Today, AMD has many advantages over the first time the company routed Intel--today AMD is a household word--then, AMD was literally unknown, comparatively. Today, AMD technology has again leapfrogged Intel and has the company scrambling to keep up, but today AMD also has a signed legal agreement with Intel forbidding Intel to pay vendors not to sell AMD products--as they did then! You better believe AMD is watching that like a hawk...;) AMD is forcing Intel to compete on technology and price and *nothing else.* Which is the way it should be. And in the management department--critical--AMD is more competitive than it has ever been.

But surprised? No, I can't say I am--but "pleased", definitely...! After all, AMD has licked Intel once--and so I could never see a reason why they couldn't do it again--and I'm glad I was right about that...;)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  13. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    I´m happy for AMD because we all like the underdog defeating the giant and force the giant to do a reality check once in a while and, in a long term, that is good for us, not because AMD is a NGO. I´m still waiting for Intel to release the I7-8700k cpu and see how it performs , at what cost and how it manages power comsumption and heat before taking any decision on which is going to be my next platform.

14. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Intel are very cocky and believe they can still milk people because of fanboys keep paying silly prices for Quad cores. They better get with the program or sales will swing even farther into Team Reds side pretty quickly. I have just ordered a 1600x, mobo and new ram so i can't wait to upgrade from 4 cores i5 to a 6c/12t proc. Intel has had enough of my money over the years and every purchase i made from them felt painful. AMD on the other hand deserve their success because they really do give great value.

15. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Germans are very engineered minded people , of coarse there going to buy AMD over intel :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dean469 likes this.

16. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Good. We need competition. We need improvements. And lower prices :)

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If stocks were limited in the first place, its easy to be sold out. Big difference if a retailers stock was only a 1000 units vs 100,000 units. Chances are Nvidia is by far outselling Vega at this stage.

But nice to see AMD beating Intel for a change.

18. robintson

robintson Guest

GPU:
    Asus_Strix2080Ti_OC
    Great news for AMD , bad news for Intel :)

19. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    AMD?

Ja, das ist gut.

dean469 likes this.
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't understand statements like this. It's clear you were talking about how well AMD CPUs are selling, yet you state their GPUs, which are consistently sold out, aren't doing well? I'll grant you everyone wished it would perform better for the price, but ultimately what determines a successful product is how well it sells.
    That literally makes 0 sense.

If you make a product, you obviously would want to meet, 100% the demand, no more, no less. This is true.

However, the worst case scenario would be that no one buys your product and therefore you don't have to produce any at all because you produced too much.

2nd best is to have so much demand that you can't keep up, this will essentially produce the same amount of cash flow as you would have if you had equal supply and demand (if the amount you produce is the same in both cases), but the side affects are you potentially are giving your competition some revenue from people not waiting to buy your product.

Considering the fact that it is EXTREMELY difficult to supply exactly the amount that is in demand, every company strives to have more demand then supply, rather then have so much supply, you can't sell it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    dean469 likes this.