OpenGL performance - GTX 280 vs 10XX Series

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by yako, Aug 21, 2017.

?

Does 10xx Series has better OpenGl performance than 2xx?

1. Yes, 10xx is better

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, 2xx is better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yako

yako Guest

Hi,

I want to know if there is an improvement or at least similar OpenGL performance for the latest series of 10xx series compared to the 2xx, because I don't have the money to buy a Quadro and I'd like to use the CUDA resources of the new boards. My main activity is related to Nurbs 3D modeling and rendering, so I need OpenGL and CUDA cores.

I couldn't find a good resource of comparative information, can anyone share something about it?

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

If yours main concern is OpenGL then I would suggest have look on Titan X Pascal on which has been released better "pro" drivers or they unlocked some features which are mainly used by Quadro cards

Ti do have pretty good OpenGL and I use my PC for rendering and modelling in SW like 3DS max or in other SW

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

yako likes this.
  3. yako

yako Guest

Thanks Jura, this is the same kind of use give to my card.
    I've been taking a look at these Titan cards and now I wonder, for this price and for the use I need isn't wiser buying a Quadro?, not the latest but one with a couple of years but with features specific?
    I'll take a closer look to this Ti cards too, it seems like a good option for my budget.

Thanks,
    Yako

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Yako

There are few SW in which will make difference to have Quadro GPU

Older generation of Nvidia cards, this depends, have used like GTX780 and older Titan X SC and GTX1080 and GTX1080Ti in few SW for rendering mostly, I thought so Titan X SC is quite fast in rendering, in some cases speed has been awesome mostly in IRAY or Octane

Then in Blender Cycles this card has been disappointment, when I used SSS or volumetric this card has been slower than my GTX780, looks like Cycles developers never optimised their renderer for Maxwell GPU

Right now have GTX1080Ti and 2*GTX1080 which I use for rendering mostly...

I do use mostly 3DS Max or C4D and Maya and few other SW and renders I use like Octane, IRAY or Corona plus Cycles(SuperFly), Corona still use CPU for rendering and due this I use this only for specific reasons and I work mostly with high poly models

Going with older Quadro not sure, I tried and have used older Quadro in specific projects and programs previously in our company where I worked,in some applications Quadro is better like is SolidWorks or AutoCAD or in CAD SW

What SW and what renderers are you using?

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. yako

yako Guest

Hi Jura,

Thanks for the examples and details, this helps me a lot.

The SW I use most that require good OpenGL are Rhino v5, v6 Beta and Solidworks for 3D modeling. I also use Modo for modeling.
    About GPU cores I use V-Ray for Rhino V3, Rhino V6 with Cycles integrated and I'm thinking about buying Octane for Rhino.

Thanks,
    Yako

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi Yako

Did you check Puget systems for reviews, they do very in depth reviews with GPU and SolidWorks

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...e-a-Quadro-video-card-in-Solidworks-2016-751/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...e-2017-Quadro-GPU-Performance-Comparison-895/
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Solidworks-2016-NVIDIA-Quadro-Performance-744/

And I recommend have look on this as well

http://www.overclock.net/t/1598305/howto-enable-solidworks-realview-graphics-on-gaming-video-cards

If you will go with Octane then you will gain a lot going with "Pascal" GPU, single Ti should be good there, in Cycles or other SW which use CUDA cores or rather GPU for rendering then you with "Pascal" GPUs gain a lot more than going with older GPUs

I still think GTX1070 is good card for rendering although 8GB VRAM can cause few issues if you do high poly scenes or models, it really depends on SW there

For price of one Ti you can get two GTX1070 in some cases, personally I recommend get more GPUs as in rendering extra GPU definitely helps with faster rendering

Modo I have used and still using for some projects but mostly I rather use 3DS Max as I worked with 3DS Max for while

If you have any model which you want to try, can you post the link and I can try and I will record the FPS etc if this helps in Modo or Rhino, I have only Rhino V5 I think which I can try

SolidWorks I don't have on my home PC only at work as this SW I don't use a lot at home or I don't use CAD/CAM at home

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. yako

yako Guest

Hi Jura,

Thanks for all the information, now I'll have to take the time to study.
    If I need your help to test a model I'll upload it, I really appreciate your offer.

Thanks,
    Yako