Asus Demos B250 Mining Expert motherboard with 19 pci-e-slots

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Holy new forum skin!

Nice review. I would question the comment on the voltage stabiliser picture, surely you should always use a good quality PSU??

3. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    How could you possibly make a profit by spending so much on all this stuff?

4. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    By overproducing coins and destroying the power plants in the process?

Holy sh. The forum skin is nice and fast and smooth. Now if we could have such a nice fast smooth and mobile friendly overhaul for the main site that would be great.

5. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I can't see how actual graphics cards can fit on that card. They look like PCIEx1 slots and three in each row so how do the cards fit exactly??? Surely only a single high end AMD or NVidia card can fit in each row?

6. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    They fit by using riser/extenders.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    each card stand on a rizer like this one:
    [​IMG]
    then you put GPU on stand like this:[​IMG]

of course you can't play CS:GO no more with this rig ;)

geogan likes this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Man if there were higher core count on 1151, this would make a fun little virtual rig too.

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    AMD shows again his real interest "supporting" gamers.

AMD can't please gamers and miners IF they are "forced" to use the SAME GPUs for completely different goals.

IF AMD is unable to release a GPU variant specifically developed for the mining market (no gaming options at all and better mining hash rate) their dedicated gaming GPU market share will DECREASE due to the lack of performance per $.
    This low market share, their bad gaming driver and GameWrecks are not helping game devs interest to optimize their titles for AMD gaming GPUs.

There is no need to hide anymore: they can do the right thing for AMD investors and push drivers to enable 19 GPUs per mobo."Only" adding support for 11 is not enough for miners.

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    No RGB?

Fail.

schmidtbag likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    At first I was like "what's the point of having the 3x 24-pin connectors?" because the PCIe cards are getting their extra juice from the molex connectors. But then I realized a board like this makes it every convenient to do a multi-PSU rig. However, doing that is primarily only good for cost savings - I doubt such a specialized board is going to be cheap. So it still remains a somewhat strange decision.

As for the amount of GPUs supported, it wouldn't surprise me if that's just a Windows problem. I figure most hardcore miners don't run Windows. Not only could there be driver limitations, but you also have to deal with all those licenses and Windows is a real PITA when it comes to cloning. It's much easier and cheaper to get a bunch of 32GB SSDs, install Linux, drivers, and mining software on it, and then clone it for every rig you've got.

Anyway, this is a very interesting board - I've never seen anything like this. I don't really want it (I'm not into mining), but it is cool.

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Look at ethOS, I could be wrong but I believe it supports 8 RX series, 8 R7/R9, and 8 GTX 9/1X series? So even if you use 16 total of the 2 AMD series they support max of, you still have 3 more slots for Nvidia cards with this board. Or other way around seeing how much more power friendly the Nvidia cards are.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    According to ethosdistro.com, it says up to 16 RX GPUs or 16 Nvidia GPUs; only R7/R9 is limited to 8.
    I'm not sure if this is just the way the distro is configured, if this is a hardware limit, or if this is a driver limit.

I figure for some people, an easier route would be to use a VM and passthrough the remaining PCIe slots.

14. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Linus Tech Tips kind did that in a VM gaming host machine, but it ran Windows on all the VM's and shared some of the CPU threads, and memory but had their own independent SSD and GPU. Which if you have one giant cpu say a dual xeon setup, and PCIE slots galore wouldn't be such a bad idea.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think I saw the same thing. I didn't really understand why they did it that way - for most games, it is possible to use one install of a game for multiple users simultaneously, with or without a VM (I've done it myself). Not only does this dramatically save on disk space, cost, and download time, but it can even reduce load times since the data could be cached, either directly on the drive's own buffer or in RAM. If your goal is a multiseat gaming PC, a single high-capacity M.2 drive is arguably the best way to go. If mining in VMs is your goal, you could comfortably get by with a single HDD. I don't think mining involves enough disk writes to be a problem.

16. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Nice board for miners but i thought that 10gb lan was needed for miners and this board only has 1gb lan.

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I would assume it's because for stability per "machine," having the least amount of shared resources as possible is the best way to go. Now one thing I will say, for the cost of it at the end of the day you're actually better off just building 8 individual machines lmao.

18. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Learn something new every day. Never saw that kind of setup before in 20 years of computing!

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Do we have to get into this conversation again? Every single mining based hardware/info/etc. thread there is, this question, or negativity about mining, comes up. Personally, i don't think PC mining is worthwhile, ASIC seems to be the only thing worth while. But that doesn't mean this question needs to continue to be brought up for people to get into arguments about why mining is "evil" and how people must be complete and total nubs to think they could make a buck on it.

20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I find it amazing that companies are still keen on getting in on the mining craze. As someone who is familiar with mining, I find it difficult to justify such expenditures - even if the current price and difficulty remains constant, it will take months before you see a penny in profits. I can't imagine the amount of cards which will flood the second-hand markets after this thing blows over (POS can't come soon enough, IMO).

First of all, OEMs have created mining-specific cards, it's just that supply is not meeting demand. Second, these mining-specific cards are basically variants of gaming cards (the features that make a good gaming card also make a good mining card) so creating mining cards takes resources away from gaming cards. Third, AMD has been burned by the mining craze before (they had to write down tens of millions of dollars in unsold inventory when ASICs replaced GPUs for Bitcoin mining) and they do not want to risk getting burned again (this is why Dr Su was hesitant about fully getting on-board, unlike Nvidia's Huang, who has nothing to lose from mining).

The current mining craze has nothing to do with ASICs. There is currently no viable ASIC solution for mining Ethereum, which is why GPUs are used (GPUs are the perfect Ethereum mining hardware). Profitability is also a genuine issue - from what I've calculated, it will take about ten months just to recoup the costs, and it's getting worse as the difficulty continues to ramp up.