Freesync range on - Samsung UE570

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Hansón The Rain, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Hansón The Rain

Hansón The Rain Guest

GPU:
    AMD 390 G1
    I have some troubles with my freesync monitor. I am running 4K with displayport 1.2 and freesync is on in the monitor menu and Catalyst panel. I have made sure that the monitor is on game mode too. When i game and it hits under 50fps it feels like the freesync stops working or maybe around 45fps. Is it really that common for a monitor to only have 10-15'ish Hz were the freesync works? Or did my GPU have to many beers last Friday.

All my games are running full screen too. Using lates driver, and apparently a monitor driver i found on Samsung site for my monitor?!

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It would help if we knew the model of monitor you are talking about, and perhaps the reported FreeSync range.

3. Hansón The Rain

Hansón The Rain Guest

GPU:
    AMD 390 G1
    My monitor is "Samsung UE570" and the freesync range is unknown which is my problem. I have been on AMD own monitor list.
    They have the bigger model 590, but not mine. On samsung's own website it says it support freesync tho: http://www.samsung.com/dk/monitors/uhd-ue570/

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Since all 28" TN panels are all from the same maker, I am going to guess the range is like mine: 40-60. Try this to get your EDID information:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/EDID-Viewer.shtml

View your EDID from the proper INF you installed for your monitor (not generic PnP) and you'll see a section like this:

Monitor Range Limit:

Maximum Vertical Frequency : 60 Hz
    Minimum Vertical Frequency : 40 Hz
    Maximum Horizontal Frequency : 135 KHz
    Minimum Horizontal Frequency : 135 KHz
    Maximum Pixel Clock : 600 MHz

Your Vertical Freq range will also be your FreeSync range.

Hansón The Rain likes this.

5. Hansón The Rain

Hansón The Rain Guest

GPU:
    AMD 390 G1
    Awesome! Yeah freesync on my monitor covers the area between 40 to 60 Hz.
    Thanks for the help Master Guru o/

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Glad we got that mess sorted out.

When you are feeling ambitious, you can try using CRU to expand your FreeSync range. I've been using 34-60 successfully so far.

7. Hansón The Rain

Hansón The Rain Guest

GPU:
    AMD 390 G1
    Nahh 40-60 range is more than fine for me. As soon i begin to drop under 50 fps i lower my graphic settings. But in most cases it is like the FreeSync not working at all? I have been reading something about anti aniliasing could provoke the problems, but i do not play with AA at all in 4K. I do not know if it is just me but normal Vsync works far better than FreeSync tho the fps is not happy about it...

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    FreeSync and VSync work together. When your FPS is in the 40-60 range, you are using FreeSync and getting the low latency benefits. When below 40, you are using VSync to eliminate tearing. Both modes coexist and the driver decides which to use, with FreeSync getting preference.