1080ti SLI worth it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jetl33, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Jetl33

Jetl33 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Hi everyone I game at 3440x1440 and like to max all settings except AA there is no need. So in saying that, is going down the path of SLI 1080ti worth it? This is coming from SLI 980ti where I find it works quite well most of the time for me. I however have heard its not so good with the current Gen. My only reason to really upgrade is to run the HTC vive and Oculus the best I can granted I know they only use one card, as SLI in VR is not currently supported. So I will do normal gaming and gaming in VR

2. Guru01

Guru01 Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA RTX 2080
    If one 1080ti isn't cutting it for you at that resolution, try two. I have never setup sli before so not sure how many games use them or which games you are currently playing but if it doesn't work out for you trying two cards you can always send it back and get a refund. Well, that depends where you are buying it from. If you got the money might as well try two 1080ti's and see for yourself with that resolution you are running your games at if it makes a difference or not. I hope this helps, take care and good luck.

3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Just get one 1080Ti. I'm running it on 3440x1440, 95% of modern games you can run maxed out. \

SLI is a disaster, especially as of late. It gets less and less support.

allesclar likes this.
  4. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have just moved away from 980ti Sli @4k and the 1080ti @4K is almost as good as my old rig with sli compatible games but so much better
    when games cant use sli I have dropped my AA levels but not off and I am playing with a good chunk of eye candy @4k so I would imagine it will be awesome at 1440p.

The1 and cryohellinc like this.

5. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Like many others here ,ive gone back to a single card for the first time in many years , SLI support has not been good this past few years , save yourself a ton of money and hassle , you can just turn down a few eye candy settings , but if you can't live with that you have to go SLI , i did regret buying two 980ti that's all i can tell you :)

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Just to chime in - one 1080Ti is enough for now. Save the rest of the money and buy a Volta (1180) as soon as it comes out and later get the 1180Ti.

Single card is guaranteed maximum performance.
    SLI is a lottery concerning performance. If it works you'll get your money's worth, if it doesn't you loose.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What the other's said, SLI isn't as reliable anymore. I'm not sure what games you play (not all support SLI after all), but I'm fairly sure you'll be fine with a single 1080Ti.

I've been using SLI until I got my 1080Ti, and since it was never that bad for me personally (I never played games that didn't support it, or if they didn't, they didn't need high FPS anyway). But if SLI is making problems, you'll have a hard time since you're always waiting for some dev or driver update, and it's just not on the dev's priorities anymore, or the driver teams (both Nvidia and AMD now too have cut back on SLI / CFX support).

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Definitely do NOT go SLI. I used to have 2x580s, 2x680s, 2x970s, and I was SO glad when I finally dropped it with a single 1070 and 1 year later single 1080Ti. The state of SLI is at this moment worse than ever and there is absolutely no indication that it will get any better in the near future.

So yes, get a single 1080Ti, it's a beast, and go for Volta Ti when it's out 1-1.-5 years from now.

allesclar likes this.
  9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'd say go with a single 1080ti as well that's what I have and it handles QHD a dream.

10. Jetl33

Jetl33 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 SLI
    Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I will be dropping SLI for the first time in many years. OK so then what 1080ti cards you all running are there any to stay away from. Any recommendations? I have been looking at the Asus Strix and MSI gaming X

11. RasterMan

RasterMan Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti Sli
    Zotac
    GeForce GTX 1080Ti AMP Extreme Core Spectre RGB 11264MB

Warrenty 5 years :)

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    My suggestion would be take an AIO version of 1080Ti's. Probably as of right now best pick would be EVGA's. Great temps, allow you to bump up any setting in any game and stop worrying about temps.
    Personally using MSI Sea Hawk X version, however mine is a "bad" overclocker, refuses to clock past 2037mhz.

13. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    I have Msi 1080ti Gaming X I have set my fan profile @40% up to 40c then it ramps up to 100% @80c everyday clock of 1980 core never seen it go above 65c
    whilst gaming or running firestrike but my case has good airflow

I have just moved from 980ti Sli @ 4K and overall the 1080ti is a nice upgrade only time my old rig was slightly better was in optimised sli titles but all other games the 1080ti is a major upgrade

14. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    I support this from experience. The 8800GT SLI was quite a noticable improvement but everything of late, unless very very high end, seems to offer only a very little performance boost for an insane cost.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    cryohellinc likes this.
  15. bartosz.bruhn

bartosz.bruhn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti
    Hello, why not worth? If you have cash take another one. If some games do not support SLI, then just play on one and get one GPU best performance.
    But remember to get 40 PCIe Lanes CPU. For now best deal is get X99 with i7 6850 and OC to 4.4, 4.5 GHz. Building on mainstream Z270/Z170 make no sense.
    Also AMD Threadripper perform much worse than Intel.

I just sell my Strix 1080Ti and take EVGA Hybrid one, also order X99 platform and then another one EVGA.

SLI without full CL or AiO coolers make your GPU ran over 80-85 degs. I just prefer AiO (much easier to sell).

Andromeda on 4k HDR 60 FPS and You will be smiled all day long.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The only thing is, another 1080Ti is quite some money, and unless he's gaming lots of SLI optimized games (and those will become more sparce in the future I guess), the extra cash doesn't really pay off. Even "optimized" or "supporting" games like Frostbyte engine games have issues (Battlefield 1 SLI flickering, couldn't play the game for months with SLI enabled). So all in all, unless you are desperate for the extra fps, it's just pumping in lots of money you could as well save up for a Volta card. Also, I'm not sure you even need a second 1080Ti to have some games on 4K/60, like I was told Witcher 3 runs well on a single 1080Ti, for instance.

17. bartosz.bruhn

bartosz.bruhn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti
    Wicher do not run 60 FPS with Hairworks on 4k :p.
    I didn't notice and any Flickering problems with BF1 and SLI.
    All AAA games (or just tire one) have a good support for SLI. Of course sometimes not with realase day. Do you know this chanel: TOP 3 world Overclockers. Many test in many configurations.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQSy7A7a75eE0H7bDfRpEew/videos

18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    True, it doesn't run at 60fps with hairworks on. Yet I doubt the incredible gain if you're playing on 4K anyway ;)

Well the net was full of it and I did experience it (SLI 980), have a read if you're bored:
    https://www.google.at/search?q=sli+...rome..69i57.2335j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

19. bartosz.bruhn

bartosz.bruhn Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti
    Sure Will read this. But on first look, all firsts topic are form 11.2016/ 12.2016. In Spring was update with SLI support.
    SLI quality also change after Pascals and HB bridges.

20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You know that there's issues, just google "SLI issue", filter the time frame you want to grab, and you still get them. There's been issues at first with X299 chipsets as well as currently PUBG.

https://www.google.at/search?q=sli+...GRg-3VAhWCahoKHdogB_0QpwUIHg&biw=1920&bih=990

And we've gotten a few statements that multi GPU is not going to be that much of a supported thing anymore, see Nvidia's cutting down on anything above 2-way SLI and AMD's announcement on cutting back on active CFX support. Also, does openGL / Vulkan support multi GPU setups? Not that I would know, but it might come at some point (although it's not high priority there either).

Like I (and some other people here) said, it comes down to which games you play, but it's not all sunshine with that topic.

Solfaur likes this.