New Upcoming ATI/AMD GPU's Thread: Leaks, Hopes & Aftermarket GPU's

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Jul 9, 2016.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I wonder if it would be possible to convince amd to implement a soft memory timings table/ voltage table much like the do for powerplay. would by pass the need for vbios mod and keep to microsoft's demand to secure the walled garden.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What does gameworks have to do with the monitor flickering in titles that don't have gameworks?

I honestly think this type of stuff is a huge problem with Freesync. You never know what you're going to get with a freesync monitor. You usually have to look up the freesync range, find out if LFC is supported or not, find out if the monitor has weird flickering issues or not, find out if you can expand the freesync range or not. And it seems like these issues would be ironed out as time when on but it's like the opposite - the more features they add the more weird the monitor selection gets. It doesn't help that none of the manufacturers list the ranges and what's supported in descriptions either.

pharma and Maddness like this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup it's weak Driver.
    We don't have Good driver for Fiji, any one past 17.1.2 causing problems.
    Some small other big -> no Gold Vendor out there ;) only more affordable.

I will prefer playing at 1440p 46-61FPS in Forza (yes it's smooth) and if i will add 600€ or more € for nV and got only smooth different :D

Its always like this:
    In some countries you have vager a month = 200/300€ in other 500€ and in GER ~1400€ to 1800

Look out and read forums:
    They have (overpriced € for only x70, 450-500€ lolZ) 1070 etc. and don't have G-sync (Yes some shitty monitors :eek: ) where is Reason? There is non, only Mind share !
    Enthusiast search for Good value for $/€ and Quality components !
    And now it's same for x80....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It is certainly the most important issue where Freesync pales compared to G-Sync. Thee range is not as good generally. Freesync 2 is supposed to fix most of this, but it has a price increase from what I have read which brings it quite a bit closer to the cost of G-Sync.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is not as much price of Freesync 2 as it is price of monitor features required to be considered FS2.

Maddness likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup -> HDR & 10-12Bit lolZ

7. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Totally agree.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    [​IMG]
    I lolled a bit. AMD Gamescom booth.

It's a great combination but still... But hey, you can make your AMD GeForce red if you want.

9. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    They should stop developing gpus for a while, as they did with cpus and comeback with a fresh start. You cant have a gpu eating 500w anno 2017... well you can, but having 50% better performance than the other party. Vega, out of compute apps, its a fail.

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Interestingly enough undervolting Vega 56 makes it pretty much on par with 1070 in power efficiency while being faster.

And it seems some can undervolt their Vega 64 to 1000mv to drop wattage by 160w that is big, while retaining it's performance close to 1080 and it also brings the p/w close.

I am guessing AMD just went with high voltages on all the cards simply to have max clocks.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's pretty much all cards regardless of brand.

Pascal default voltage is around 1.05v.
    The average Pascal can do 1950-2ghz at 1.0v

That is performance increase + power reduction, it's nothing new in GPU world.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I know Pascal can be undervolted like many others. But AMD just goes way overboard with their voltage. Dropping from 1.2 to 1.0 to get higher clocks then stock is bit meh. Could go lower just like Pascal does go under 1.0 but then at the cost of clocks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Likely due to huge variances in silicon ability.
    There are like 3 or 4 different manufacturers of those chips so they ship with high voltages due to lowest common denominator.

If it's too low the chances of high RMA are possibly adding to the cost of these already very expensive chips.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I don't think so. Because that would imply that totally inept morons are working there.

Default voltage is the amount of volts that's needed to reliably drive 99.99% of GPUs, based on sh1tload of experimental data <- my uneducated, but not completely random guess :)
    So of course there will be some difference due to statistical variation. For example Gamer's Nexus Vega 56 draws more when undervolted and +50% power target.
    It's drawing up to 80 watts more, and more typically 30W more than at stock
    http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3020-amd-rx-vega-56-review-undervoltage-hbm-vs-core

Another reason why you may think that "AMD goes way overboard" is because much bigger percentage of AMD users is actively experimenting with undervolting. Either due to our tinkering nature :), due to higher power/heat of AMD cards and the users desire to fix it, or due to GPU mining which brought undervolting more to mainstream, and is again more popular on AMD cards.
    Typical Nvidia user fires up the game, and his GTX 1060/1070/1080 is boosting skyhigh and running cool'n'quiet without any need for intervention.

Check this out:

GTX 1080 Ti: undervolted and oc-ed
    https://imgur.com/a/w5eXe

GTX 1070: 1860MHz @ 800mV and ~68W power consumption
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/666nnb/making_pascal_more_efficient_undervolting_and/

Maddness likes this.
  15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Noisiv likes this.

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    And the moment they score the JackPot, they post it on the Internet (no one cares or brags about bad overclockers or bad undervolters)
    And I am like FU BUDDY! My 290 has been BSOD-ing under mere -30mV.

UNTIL like 3 weeks ago. 17.7.2 Wattman!!
    Now it's fully stable at 1.125V (-130mV) :D :D

OnnA and Maddness like this.
  17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Even though that test pits 2 stock edition cards against a top end watercooled Vega card, it really does show just how strong the 1080Ti is. Nvidia really smashed it out of the park with that one.

I really want the watercooled Vega 64, but alas it will not be for sale in my country. I have contact a few high end retailers and thay have all said NO.

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Is any Moderator now avaible?
    I have an request

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I think you will need to PM them.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, i need to see what i need to have stable 1150 (now its hoovering at 1.230v) but default 1050 is mere 1.168v lol
    Vega is now stable at 1.110v :D -> But it's Beta..... :cool:

Noisiv likes this.