Overclockers Get Core i9 7960X for a bit of viral hype

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't understand.

So, they won't give processors to reviewers (or most)? But they will to extreme overclockers?

Is this to try and make people think unrealistically that the processors will be huge overclockers, when in reality, you don't use LN2 to cool a PC?

I don't get it.

4. IOWA

IOWA Member

GPU:
    GTX980ti
    The ONLY thing that matters is: can I have a STABLE overclock @4Ghz with an AIO? How does it compare to 4Ghz TR?

And then, not everyone wants to overclock their CPU to have normal performance, TR has 700Mhz more stock.

In a few months 1950x will sit around 800eu (now i can find it aroun 920eu VAT included), so if Intel does not decrease their i9 prices only a fool would buy one.

5. BigMaMaInHouse

BigMaMaInHouse Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1080Ti AMP Ex
    Moreover, I am almost 99.99% sure that AMD can bring the fully unlocked Epyc @32C/64T in future so X399 will be better platform for the long run unlike Intel DOA X299!.

6. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    How many mainstream computer buyers even follow, for that matter are even aware of geeks that use frozen gases to cool a processor in order to achieve false readings? Another brilliant move on Intel's part. Next they will be handing out free cookies to people that buy an Intel cpu that is 100% overpriced.:puke2:

I am still waiting to see how the Threadripper performs when someone snaps in 1 tb of memory, overclocks it to tears, and posts the results on an Intel fan boy site.:infinity:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  7. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
    Thredripper have 2 dummy die, so we can expect 64/128 cpu soon ...

8. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    omg that cinebench...

9. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Can't wait for HH to post the LN review so we know what performance to expect when we buy the chip. No, wait: no one is going to use LN to keep it working...

They're so good house heaters they need LN to keep cool

Who would want one or the other finished? Must be stupid! I wish another company would pop up making CPU's...

Only fools bought $hintel in 2017. (minus specific cases)

I don't think that's how it works.

That no one will reach at home...

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    16+16=32 not 64.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wonder if they delidded the CPU?

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Both companies handing over to profesional overclockers cpu's to put under extreme cooling and potentially break records it's the cheapest exposure after all

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    AMD would simply undercut them again...;) Besides, the legal agreement Intel entered into with AMD when AMD agreed to allow Intel to settle the AMD lawsuit forbids Intel to market dump (subsidize prices to sell them below production costs) or to pay vendors not to sell AMD cpus (along with the $1B in cash Intel ponied up, too.)

Only thing missing here is an image of the actual Intel cpu itself...! Seems to be missing...wonder why?...:rolleyes:

14. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    That's only for shipping cpus, however...;)

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t

16. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Plenty reviewers got CPUs, as long as they were in america.

17. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Don't you think there is plenty markup to even half the prices they have now and still be above that? :p

Production cost is a bit of a variable number. Do you count pure production cost? Those numbers are tiny. Do you count R&D? If so, how exactly?

18. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Wondering if indeed you're going to be building one of these rigs for yourself what are you going to be doing with your mocf? Will you be listing it here for sale? If so I'd like 1st option on it ;)

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is no way Intel is close to selling their processors below production costs and last I heard Intel never paid that fine, they have it locked in perpetual court hearings.

People have to realize that Intel doesn't have to change it's pricing yet. The vast majority of server companies/houses that are buying these products are going to continue buying Intel on inertia alone. There are going to be clients that want to see TR/Epyc/Zen Platform go through a year or so of validation before they even consider swapping.

And the other thing is, while AMD's processors are very competitive on price - the price of a processor in a datacenter, or in a production house buying thousands of them, only represents a fraction of the total cost of a large server project. These companies are going to run a CBA, find that Epyc/TR only saves them about 15% overall or whatever and may decide it's not even worth the risk of leaving Intel to a company that could potentially go bankrupt in the next decade.

And that's not to say that AMD is doing anything wrong or bad - their CPU division is honestly firing on all cylinders right now and I hope they can continue for the next few generations. But I keep seeing people expecting Intel to react - it's probably not going to happen right away. It took AMD 4 years to match Intel's quarterly marketshare back in K8 times and K8 was not only cheaper but faster across the board.

20. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    hmmm, i'm going to note this down on my list of BS notes, later tonight.