Evga Launches EVGA SC17 1080 G-SYNC Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The EVGA SC17 1080 G-SYNC Gaming Laptop has arrived. Featuring a 4K-ready IPS panel with NVIDIA G-SYNC technology. This high performance laptop was meticulously crafted from the ground up for hardcore...

Evga Launches EVGA SC17 1080 G-SYNC Gaming Laptop

2. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Can you confirm a price for us?

3. DDRSAM

DDRSAM Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Nvidia 1070 8gb
    Ticks all the boxes. Would be interesting to see it compared to the Asus models price and benchmark wise

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    C'mon EVGA. This is a fancier than average BGA turdbook. It's not built for overclocking. It is a compromised pile of trash made by yes-men. Otherwise, it would have 200W GTX 1080 GPUs and 7700K CPU like a Clevo beast.

Really? What a load of baloney. BGA filth always sucks. It has no place in expensive so-called high performance computers, notebooks or desktops. And, where is the evidence (results) to substantiate that claim? Without any numbers to prove it, this is marketing hype and baseless rhetoric.

And, this statement is patently false and misleading. There is hard evidence to the contrary. I possess evidence to the contrary.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017

5. Hayachan

Hayachan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Gtx970 G1
    Wtf?

6. Deragot

Deragot Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Zotac
    What in the WORLD made you think that this is a review???

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    It's quite clearly just a press release Hilbert put out lol

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    Ok, my bad. It's not a review. So, no offense to the person that shared the article. But, it is still nothing but blatant lies. Major offense if EVGA is actually publishing patently false information like this. Perhaps Guru3D.com should be a little more diligent to avoid distributing false information. Just because EVGA misrepresents this product doesn't make it OK to perpetuate lies.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Lol, let me add some text in there stating clearly it is a press release.

10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    Yeah, sorry I blew up. Not directed at you. EVGA should be ashamed for releasing false and misleading information. I edited my post and removed reference to a "review" LOL.

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Just about every company releasing information on a new product will hype it up and exaggerate its features to make the product stand out. I don't know why you're so mad about it though.

12. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    Because it is totally dishonest. Some degree of marketing hype should be expected. Blatant fabrications and false claims like the rubbish in this press release should not be expected. I have railed on other brands for the same behavior. Acer pulled the same crap with their 21-inch Predator turdbook. This kind of false advertising is out of control. There are multiple examples of lies in this press release. The notebook manufacturers should be held accountable for making baseless claims and stick to the facts.

13. Tbonesan

Tbonesan Guest

GPU:
    980ti
    More phoney balony BGA disposable junk posing as enthusiast grade hardware. What's with laptop children eating up locked down un-upgradable glorified tablets now. Don't folk want the option to upgrade a $3000 machine or something? I'm suprised BGA filth like this has been able to get away with it for this long ! For shame this review/overview/PR piece mentioned none of it.
    Totally agree, a MXM GPU upgradable Clevo with a legit socketed CPU will wipe the floor with this soldered mess.

14. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Care to point out the blatant lies? Your above posts show your are quite upset that this laptop was "meticulously crafted from the ground up for hardcore gamers, performance enthusiasts, and overclockers alike" and "the world's first TRUE overclocking laptop."

I'd like to see the "hard evidence" you say you have that proves otherwise.

p.s. I think the specs look ok for a gaming laptop.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is like a group of fanatical enthusiasts that can't stand 45w un-upgradable processors put into laptops and labeled as gaming machines. Even though it's like 90% of the performance of the full variant for half the power and the vast majority of customers who buy these things don't care to upgrade a laptop in the first place.

They hate that companies offer different options for different people.

16. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    It's OK to think what you want to. I respect everyone's right to have an opinion. What I do not respect is companies that misrepresent the products they sell.

The statements that are lies are obvious on face value to anyone that knows what they are looking at. The trouble is, most people don't. Specs of this example alone are a disqualifier. Heck, 240W is not enough power for just one of my mobile GTX 1080's with a nice overclock. It's fine to make jokebooks for people that want them. It's not fine to make false statements that are misleading.

There is nothing "enthusiast" about castrated soldered BGA notebooks. Can they play games OK? Sure. Are they good at overclocking and producing impressive benchmarks? Absolutely not, in spite of what EVGA says about their special gamer-boy toy. They may have a place, but presenting to be something they are not is dishonest.

This is what laptops designed for overclocking perform like. Choose any of the submissions you want to. http://hwbot.org/user/mr._fox/

Here are a few examples:

http://valid.x86.fr/gl1wcb
    http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13256664
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12274152
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12274145
    http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5628529

Show me just one example of a BGA turdbook that can come close to this level of overclocking and performance and I will admit I am wrong. EVGA's press release is a crock.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I think you should take a step back and reflect upon your statements.

EVGA said it's overclockable, not the best overclocking in the world.

Saying this laptop is built for gamers, enthusiasts and whatnot is also not a 'blatant' lie.
    They can market it however they want.

Also, BGA has nothing to do with any of their statements as 90% of said population will never upgrade it anyways.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Save your hate until you see some real world numbers from this notebook.

Also like said above, I don't know a single person who buys a laptop with the intent of upgrading it past adding more RAM or a new HDD/SSD.

19. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    EVGA said "meticulously crafted from the ground up for hardcore gamers, performance enthusiasts, and overclockers alike" and "the world's first TRUE overclocking laptop."

No hardcore gamer, performance enthusiast or overclocker is going to believe this for even a minute. Aspiring young minds certainly might be led astry. The comment about being the world's first true overclocking laptop is ludicrous in addition to being dishonest.

Anyone that knows the hardware will recognize the falsehood of these statements. They are misleading and dishonest statements. The only equally dishonest marketing I remember seeing was the over-hyped fluff Acer put out about their 21-inch Predator abortion.

I don't remember seeing lies like this from MSI, ASUS, Alienware, Razer or Gigabyte about their turdbooks. I think they're smart enough to know better. Apparently, EVGA is not. They need to be called out for dishonest marketing.

I've already seen numbers for other laptops with identical specs. I am confident the hardware in this one won't be any different than the hardware in the others. Specs are specs, and what you can do with them will only take you so far.

You apparently don't know the people I do and it seems that you live in a different world with people of a different persuasion. That's OK, and I am not saying anything other than there is a whole lot more going on out there than what it seems you are familiar with.

And, now you cannot say that any more. Hi... Nice to meet you. I am Mr. Fox, and I am one... and there are many like me.

20. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    *edit* doublepost with a giant picture...No idea how that happened ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017