Review: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2017.

1. The Average

The Average Guest

GPU:
    RX470/4GB
    But if this $999 cpu was the best in games then it would suck in workstation workloads and no one would pay 1k for a gaming cpu when a 300 can run games just fine.

Unlike content creators and video editors that do that for a living and spend hours and hours rendering. There is a potential target group to sell a 1k cpu.

You got a point but for another cpu. TR is not for gaming and you are mistaken if you were expecting this to be a gaming cpu.
    You can't expect to perform better in games just because you paid more. Trucks cost more but they are not as fast as a GTI.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not sure you understood what i was saying, because from what you just said, it's what i was saying? lol

3. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Top 2% ASIC Guaranteed. I wonder how high is that asic%, and yea like a lot of people here i'm waiting for the 1900X because i believe 8/16 will make a great future proofed system with plenty of legs for a good while.

4. CapKrunch

CapKrunch Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    Great reviews! 16 cores and 12 cores might be little bit too much for my needs. However, I'll wait on reviews for 8 cores. Again, thanks for the review!!!

5. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Damn..I'm tempted to go to Red Team..But I will wait for the Benchmark of 7980XE first..1950x is a beast when it comes to Productivity..Will surely big help for me as it destroyed my Intel CPUs aside from Gaming..:D

[​IMG]

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    ThreadRipper is not aimed at gamers. Some people sitting in a pile of money might buy for future proofing and bragging rights. For gaming there is no point when you have a CPU for less than half the price that does the job (R7 1700 or i7 7700).

Games are not single threaded, Battlefield 1 for example happily uses 8 cores. Other games already use more than 4 cores and unless you play 10 yo games, none uses a single core.

Gamers Nexus tried Dirt Rally and it crashed, my guess is that Ashes might need a patch or time ran out for HH.

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i was expecting a bit more after all what they have done...

and the price... :( 200 Euro more expensive than the I9 flag ship. :puke2: (even more if you consider that the Asus X399 is nearly 100 Euro more expensive than the 299 :( ).

i think i will jump sTR4 gen as i will do for the 2066 :3eyes: sadly it might confirm early Epyc comment.

about the Intel's fan don't you know that Intel have done 2 CPU glued on single die too, on 775 :) and it was pouring AMD (ok not too long but it was doing it :) )

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Why? it's met and exceeded everything....

Um...what is this flagship you speak of? It's the same price as the i9 7900, which is not the i9 flagship, and is the cheapest i9 there is, so even if it were, it'd be the same price.....

The i9 flagship, is twice as expensive as the threadripper flagship....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Very nice, I'm honestly impressed.

For the content producers on a budget, this AMD chip fits the bill quite well. For those with a time-before-budget leaning, Intel will still be the way forward.

Either way, an impressive showing by AMD.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    How? It's the fastest chip out there right now, which would mean time-before-budget would chose AMD, still. That being said, Intels 18 core chip could change that, but i stress could.

If it's linear performance between cores when the i9 7980xe comes out, the 16-core threadripper would beat it at stock speeds, and likely perform fairly evenly at boost speeds.

i9 7980xe at stock speed, total frequency, would be 46.8, and boost (all cores) would be 61.2

threadripper 1950x total frequency would be 54.4, not sure what the boost would be

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Lots of people said 3930k systems werent for gaming with 12 threads either.

Personally, its all nonsense. Anyone who plays games on TR will be very happy. I personally want an 8 core TR system. I am not going back to dual channel. I havent been on dual channel since my Q6600. And I felt zero need to go X99 or X299 with Intels BS.

I havent had an AMD main rig since my X2 5000+ back in 2008. Its time to change that.

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Intel still has an IPC and speed advantage, so when they launch their 16 and 18 cores it is natural to assume that they will be faster overall than the TR chips.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Their IPC is not much higher then AMD, it is higher, but not much. Their speeds, are 100% confirmed though, to be much slower per core.

Though i'm not sure what "IPC and speed advantage" means, as IPC is about speed?

The only thing that the 16 and 18 core processors will have over AMD, is better overclockability, but that's....to be seen, considering intels 10 core processor, at high frequency, is....quite hot.

Stock though, they have a speed disadvantage compared to AMD.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Intel's major advantage with IPC is the clock speed (instructions per core, at least as Intel calls it), but I doubt that will be the case with the 16 and 18 core parts. The all-core boost is 3.6 GHz and 3.4 GHz for the 7960X and 7980XE, respectively, and that's for non-AVX workloads (it will be much lower for AVX). The base clock on the 1950X is 3.4 GHz, which is pretty close to the boost clock for the Intel parts, which is quite telling. Thermals and power consumption will also be a limiting factor, as shown by the 7900X, especially if they use paste as well. The only significant advantage that the Intel chips will have is single-threaded tasks, mostly due to the turbo boost 3 clocks.

15. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Wow this was truly an outstanding review! Many thanks Hilbert.

16. PedroNF

PedroNF Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    The TR 1950X on Amazon:

"Temporarily out of stock.
    Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item."

Seems to be selling well. :D

The TR 1920X too:

"Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Newegg is restricting purchases to one per customer.

17. sephirotic

sephirotic Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've registered just to say that this affirmation:

Is wrong.

I suspect you guys have probably failed to disable the decomb filter on the filter page for the test.
    For some reason, the decomb filter is coming by default activated since Handbrake version 1.0.7. It is a foolish thing, but also is foolish to claim that a software based on x264 "can only use a few threads". Few applications have such exceptional paralelism as x264 do. You can easily completely saturate a cpu with up to 128 threads by using x264.

I also urge that tests done with x264 be done with slow and very slow presets as well as high profile and at least 4.1, ideally, 5.1 level. Other review sites always use very fast preset which is pointless both for quality, both as an ideal cpu test. Very slow presets uses much more complex instructions that fully stress out any CPU. Also interesting to know, is that AVX2 is much more stressed thus the half bandwidht speed of Ryzen's AVX2 can be better compared with Intel's alternative.

I was going to post a picture of proof of full cpu utilization as well as some settings suggestions but this forum has some strict restrictions for new users.

18. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Prices in Europe are a bit inflated (as usual), but they are still in stock in many stores.
    I guess here people are not in such a big rush to get the latest and greatest...

~~~
    In any case, I am really happy I didn't drop 1200+ EUR last year on a Bw-E 6900K with just 8 cores, that would probably make me very salty right now.

The 6800K was "cheap" enough (370'ish EUR') and a good intermediary step from one of the basic Intel quad cores. It doubled video encoding performance at that time.

Looking forward to more than double it once again with 1950X !
    (and/or allow me to continue working/playing/doing stuff WHILE the encoding takes place... which right now happens overnight as I'm sleeping, due to the fact that it eats the CPU alive...)

Aiming for a purchase mid-autumn time, late September or October - Stocks and prices should be stable enough by then, and with more choices in motherboards.

19. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    A brand new bus costs more than a typical sports car and can transport more people. The brand new bus will still get spanked by a cheaper, 4-seater sports car at the track.

20. RmVA

RmVA Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080
    I'll have to compare the 8 core Ryzen vs the 8 core Threadripper when it comes out to see if the Threadripper is worth it. Is there any reason why one would take the 8 core Threadripper over Ryzen if running one GPU (plus PCIe SSD and a PCI sound card)?