ASUS Now Delays its 4k Swift PG27UQ Ultra HD G-Sync Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No issues with wait time as long as the product will be good!

However wasn't there supposed to be a 1440p version as well?

3. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Can't wait for this type of high refresh 4K monitors...
    What I don't like from my current monitor (4K 60Hz G-Sync XB280HK) is:

1) To play capped at 58 FPS (or 60).
    I'd like to have more FPS, I Couldn't have more than 80 FPS at the moment with an overclocked 1080 in games like PUBG with the settings I'm using. But still..there is a huge diff between 58 fps and 80 fps.

2) Play at 28" in 4K.
    28" is great, 4K makes a nice difference, but is not a HUGE diff over 1440p and I think that the optimal size for 4K is 32" or more.
    For 27"-28" 1440p 144Hz monitor is more worthy considering it requires much less hardware but gives much better experience in FPS games.

So the 2 most important points to me are 32" and faster refresh rate.
    Of course, IPS, 10 bit, HDR, etc are impressive additions, but those are in less priority than the other 2.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Get rid of IPS already, give VA, I'm sick of the glow and grey being presented as black.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    If they're only delaying to wait on the changes in HDR tech then that would be good, but I doubt that as they would just release another monitor later that adds the feature for even more money. I mentioned this when they were first announced, what about Dolby Vision and active hdr support, hdr 10 is the worst of the bunch and for the price you know these would go for, would not be worth the investment

6. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    Except for the HDR, the 4k @ 27" is a waste. This is my opinion only. I own the ASUS P279Q, which is IPS, 1440p, 165hz, and G-Sync. This is the sweet spot i think. The whole point of G-sync is so you can turn up the graphic detail and as long as the FPS is UNDER the refresh rate of the monitor, G-sync gives the same benefits as v-sync, without the input lag. I mean even a 1080 ti cannot drive a modern game on ultra to FPS near 144 or 165fps, right? Driving 4k to FPS even above 100 is difficult, so 4K at high 144HZ seems a bit of a waste.

7. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    VA has much worse pixel response rates so input lag would be an issue even with high refresh rates (being a gaming monitor it wouldn't be ideal). Pretty sure we'll be seeing high res high refreshrate VA displays soon as well so don't worry.

8. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    Most higher end GPUs of today would have no issue driving most competitive games at a higher framerate than 144. The rest would of course benefit from it having G-Sync so you would basically have the best of both worlds. If it turns out to be a real 10 bit display it would also be a great monitor for content creators.

9. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    True that. Thing is it is not all competitive fps, there is huge market in non-fps gamers, where you have time to actually observe enjoy the environment and the mangled blacks on ips are killing me. High fps are still important for fluid movement and general enjoyment too. Not to mention movies too...
    The issue with VA I see now is the way overdrive works making pixels "blink" (i.e. change intensity) when the framerate changes - gsync/freesync, and that seems a bigger problem, there are many horror movies on youtube about the issue.
    I'll eventually cave in and get the next IPS, but I'll complain :D

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    They're probably waiting for Volta gpu's - cards that will comfortably drive 4K at 144hz on ultra graphics settings in-game

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The 1080Ti can indeed drive current games with ultra settings at 144Hz, depending on the game. Overwatch for instance runs at 170+fps on my 1440p screen and ultra settings, and there you can toy with internal rendering resolution etc. BF1 also runs close to the 144Hz refresh rate.

But it's true, not everybody needs high FPS for their games, you would get nothing out of playing a game like Civ with 144Hz compared to 60fps on "normal" screens.

Tbh, I wouldn't bet on that. 4K 60fps is doable right now with some games and a 1080Ti (Witcher 3 for instance), but that would mean we'd need 2.5 times the performance in a Volta 1080Ti, which I sincerely doubt.

12. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ah well, more time for a GPU to appear that will do it justice :hatty:

13. Huezord

Huezord Guest

GPU:
    16gb DDR4 Corsair 3200mhz
    Yep, pretty sure Volta will be released Q4 2017 or Q1 2018, then they will release these monitors.

14. juzz

juzz Member

GPU:
    4090 watercooled
    Not surprising at all. Called this instantly the other one was delayed..

The panels must be even more lottery than their 1440p/144Hz ones..

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    There is simply no market for these panels. Also with all the noise out there over this cpu and that cpu, introducing a new monitor will go unnoticed, and or unbought(bad English I know) while people plunk their money down for new motherboards, cpu's and such. The monitor is always a last choice when updating. Mixed in with less than 10 percent of gamers game at 4k, this is no time to ask $1500 to $2000 for a monitor great or not.

16. Tophe

Tophe Guest

GPU:
    2*GTX 670 / 2048M
    They could be waiting for new HDMI standart, since the current one doesn't have the bandwith.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I think DP 1.4 can do 144Hz 4K HDR10 with DSC and AFAIK the monitor is DP only as it's required for G-Sync. The other thing is, Nvidia controls both ends on the interface for this (presumably few AMD users would buy this monitor) so they could just overclock it and make it work without DSC.

But I do agree that they are probably waiting for newer DP/HDMI standard, or at least I'd expect it given the delay. But for all we know AU Optronics just sucks at manufacturing panels - the PG278Q was also delayed for over a year when it was announced.

18. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    There is a complete mismatch between the gaming monitors and a NVidia card capable of driving them, never mind to 144-165Hz. I bought a U2711 7 years ago and only now is the 1080Ti able to achieve 144Hz at 1440 and circa 60Hz refresh at 4K. I solved the mismatch by going SLI but with less in-game support for SLI nowadays.....
    We should set up a sweepstake as to when NVidia will produce a card to provide 144Hz at 4K, I say mid 2019, anyone prepared to be more confident? NVidia who have no competition and therefore drip feed us modest performance increases which we are made to feel very grateful for. And let's not think about the cost of this HDR screen, 1500-1800 $/£?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  19. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    As I have posted before, I'm looking at upgrading my Dell U2711 and going single card but because of what I've written about above, this is not a simple matter. I can buy a 4K 60Hz screen and a 1080Ti AIO water cooled to go with it but the monitor is basically out of date with a 60Hz refresh rate, I can buy a circa 3K widescreen 100Hz and the 1080Ti will drive that very nicely. I find these monitor discussions very helpful with my upgrade in mind, I thought other wavering gamers like me might find the following helpful? It's very non-scientific info taken from Scan's website.
    Acer XB321HK 4K IPS 32" 60Hz Gsynch £907.99 5 Reviews
    Asus PQ279Q ROG IPS 1440 27" 165Hz Gsynch £699.49 45 Reviews but out a while
    Acer Predator XB271HU IPS 165Hz 27" Gsynch £629.99 24 Reviews
    Acer Predator X34A IPS Curved Widescreen 100Hz 34" £949.99 13 Reviews
    Asus ROG 100Hz 34" Widescreen PG348Q IPS £983.03 30 Reviews

My point? The high number of reviews for a quite recent Asus widescreen. Perhaps the best compromise available at the moment re refresh rate, resolution, cost and most powerful graphic card?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017