Rumor: Radeon RX Vega cards Look to be Insanely good crypto-currency miners

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I hope that's what happens because AMD's market share is tenuous enough as it is.

They could probably do it through drivers fairly easily, perhaps BIOS too. The best thing to do, if they can, is permanently ruining it for mining via some hardware bits. Ruining multi-GPU so that when another card is detected on the system it destroys performance might be the fastest and easiest way.

Here's hoping that AMD figures out something soon.

2. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    This is certainly bad news for gamers, but I think we should wait for confirmation before jumping to any conclusions.

Furthermore, mining is not nearly as profitable as it once was. Prices of ETH have come down quite a bit and are hovering a bit above the $200 mark, plus the difficulty continues to ramp up (it made another 20% jump in the past week). Polaris cards are also expected to decrease in performance as the DAG grows. Combination of these factors means that small-time miners will gradually be squeezed out, and we should see the GPU market gradually returning to normal.

Note that this affects Nvidia cards as well, especially since Nvidia cards are expected to maintain their hashing performance over time (as I mentioned above, Polaris cards will suffer performance degradation with each DAG epoch). A GTX 1070 is probably the most attractive mining card at the moment.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    "Gamers beware"
    "If this is true, it's going to be a bad deal for gamers."

For once, I don't think most gamers will really care. People have been very pessimistic about Vega. Of the gamers who will want it, they'll likely get their hands on one on release day for a reasonable price. A week later, Vega will be pretty much only appeal to miners.

The good news is this means more in-demand GPUs like the RX 580 will finally be available, and for a decent price. I'd say this is a win-win for everyone: the mainstream market gets the products they want, AMD sells a GPU that doesn't appeal to gamers, and miners get a product that suits their needs better than anything else.

EDIT:
    On another note, I've heard how Vega has insanely good compute performance for things other than mining too. I suspect the Vega-based FirePros are going to be very good products and will sell well. Vega just seems to be better for professional purposes rather than gaming.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    It's only bad if you weer looking to buy it in the first lines.
    High demand from miners would lead to bigger sales for AMD (good for AMD), and would also later lead to more low-priced used offers (good for me at least xD). I bought my R9 290 for just 100$ after the first bitcoin craze and it still works fine and handles 99% of games on max settings without problem.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I am so tinfoil hat today
    I think amd sold off the first batch of cards they had to miners already.

would not most all company's do that?
    well we don't even know how well they do mine anyways.

let me take off this silly hat

6. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    How is this relevant to gamers?

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    depend where you are in some country electricity is free or inexpensive (this is also where you have the most big farm)

right now AMD is more expensive than NVidia... and NVidia have already issue to have *60 *70 and *80 in shop due to mining.

Nearly no Vega in store :) (nearly a year that there is no RX*70, RX*80, GTX1060 (70 or 80) in shop, the summer GTX 1060 stock sold in 2 week...

hopefully quadro and firepro are not impacted :) (also the price is already po**ographic lol )

The good news: we will have plenty of innexpensive 2nd hand GPU from just a year old :)

8. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I have some info that suggests that Vega 56 is only 10% better than GTX1070.

Some games it is better by 20% but in general any 3rd party OC'd 1070 will match V56.

A good ASIC rated 1070 will beat the Vega 56 in some games and i know for a fact they used a standard non factory overclocked 1070 to get that 20% figure.

Plus i heard Nvidia are about to show more details on Volta, probably close to Vega release so look out for some spicy GeForce 11xx's info soon.

Volta Titans are already in production and i wouldn't be surprised if they be on sale early 2018. Probably March for Geforce cards.

9. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    If this image is true [​IMG]
    why bother with a graphic cards ?
    gpu mining should be over as soon as this sells instead

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok ok metal hat again

amd put the code in the other day right? lol yeah right.
    this card is really trying to be marketed(by the leak) to the coin miner crowd.

you know the cards are gone already and no coupons will stop it but nice try amd.

now the leak and amd know the cards will be gone.
    lets face it they gave up on pc gaming,consoles and mining rigs would be better for them.

I mean only someone(amd) consolely would lead the vega launch with "oh look you cant tell the difference" pa'lease there is more to all this bs?

why did the guy leak that info? but not some over clocks or some hard numbers?
    freakin sales pitch all this crap

and if it was only a 30 hash thingy who would by it?

good way to get a good sales no matter if not to gamers

11. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
    I find it funny that it went up from 30-35 over Vega FE, using special "drivers".

And now how fast is it? 70 - 100 MH/S.
    Quite the range, quite the hype, quite the bull****.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    For what i know, yet Ethereum cant be mined by ASIC yet ( untilll they update the blockchain, but for now it is not the case ) ... ( that was the reason it have been created )

A 1070 undervolted can do a bit less than 30mh/s at 95W ( tweaked and best case ), i dont really see how this 196mh/s 730W could be an viable option.. ( outside place ).

7x 1070 will bring 210mh/s for 665w .. lets take an average, and say 7 1070 willl do 200mh/s for 700W ..

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:

In reality, Vega have some new algorythm for mining over Polaris (official RX Vega press slide ), speculation could be they was disabled on the FE version ( as many other thing it seems ( DSBR etc ).. but that is pure speculation..

Now, 70-100 seems way to high for me ... so whatever, i will wait that tests come out. But at the same time the reported hash rate for the FE version was basicallly the same of a RX580 or 1070.... i dont see how a gpu with 12+Tflops could perform under or same level than a 6 Tflops one

[​IMG]
    Slide come from this site: ( and translated to english by google if you want read it )
    https://translate.google.com/transl...clanek/architektura-radeon-rx-vega&edit-text=

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Pretty sure the P100 does 70mh/s - so I don't see why Vega couldn't.

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    Theres the question of bandwith limit, but this should not impact it so much ( no for the FE version anyway )

16. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6rm0cs/vega64_mining_is_unlikely_to_exceed_65_mhs/

17. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Ok but i think this miner asic eats 730W from the wall socket, u would have to calculate your PSU efficiency and add extra to this 700W total and the CPU and ram and motherboard and then 7x 1070 would still be more expensive
    by the way - they are all sold out already which means its better, we just have to wait until asics saturate the market

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    IF, that turns out to be a real ASIC, and IF the RX vega mining turns out to be true, that ASIC is dead in the water.

The entire point of ASIC is that it does the jobs of hundreds of GPUs, for a fraction of the price.

Yet, the price on that ASIC, is $2,199.00

$2,199 for 198MH/s

Or

$2,097 for 210-300MH/s (3xRadeon RX Vega 64 Liquid)

Now, it doesn't say what 70-100 is, if that's the full range of all the GPUs, aka something like Radeon RX Vega 56 @ 70 - Radeon RX Vega 64 @ 85 -
    Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid @ 100, if that's the case, it's even worse, because at that point for $2,199:

1,995 for 350MH/s (5xRadeon RX Vega 56 )

1,996 for 340MH/s (4xRadeon RX Vega 64)

$2,097 for 300MH/s (3xRadeon RX Vega 64 Liquid)

So IF that ASIC turns out to be true, and IF the article here turns out to be true, no matter the situation, that ASIC is dead in the water. Personally, i don't think it's a real ASIC, since it'd be pretty hard actually for an ASIC to use 730 watts and ONLY provide 198MH/s.

It's not sold out, the only places taking orders are for "preorders" and the only places you can "preorder" them are some random websites no one has ever heard of $3400-$11000. It seems to be a scam. I can't find one article or anything about any of these actually being delivered and working. Not to mention that something being "sold out" does not even remotely mean it's "better" or even "good".

I suspect that IF these were ever real (and i doubt that), that they were actually 8 GPUs (based off some information i've seen of supposed "proof" mining screens, showing that the mining software is working on 8 GPUs, as the list goes from GPU0-GPU7 which is 8 GPUs) housed within a metal case, hence the mini PC on top. It also lines up with how huge the metal case is, and why there are 8 fans. That's not ASIC.

[​IMG]

19. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    yeah i thought that its power consumption is a little on a "too much" side for a real asic too, they just have to create something better to end the crisis

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Currently, Ether isn't compatible with ASIC. They could do that one day, it's possible. But to be perfectly honest, the whole reason Ether is popular currently, is because it's decently valued, with a relatively easy payout, and no ASIC machines.

By that math, my GTX 1080 ti, with around 484Gbp/s bandwidth, should have about 63.4MH/s. Yet, it's somewhere between 30-40MH/s.

Ethereum mining can't solely rely on memory bandwidth, as then nvidia and AMD cards would be equal, and would only matter what memory bandwidth it has, and that's clearly not the case.