Geforce 385.12 beta

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by robalm, Aug 1, 2017.

1. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    The "resources" are not what you need in your rig - he was talking about the developers of games and even NVIDIA itself. NVIDIA basically canned 3/4-way SLI already, and game developers are also not very eager to support it at all anymore - more and more recent games don't work at all in SLI or have various issues with it.

SLI and CF were always a niche for a very small minority, so its no surprise that support from game developers isn't very strong and the entire concept on a decline (less support from games, less people buying -> even less support in games -> and so on)

2. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    These are great on my 1050ti, no issues at all for my card. Clocks getting stuck at high were a problem for me with 384.94 sometimes on a fresh boot when simply opening gpu-z. Also, OpenGL things would seem cause it. Can't say about the Doom thing since i don't have it.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    True at all as both NV and now AMD are withdrawing from supporting mGPUs. If you want to doubt their statistics on this - be my guest.

Also this 1% figure is what I've heard back when SLI/CF were in their prime, it's likely way less now.

4. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    It's not my statistics. You can't base a Country, let alone the worlds usage based off of a pole that not everybody participates in.

That is assumption. All polls can do is give you a very ROUGH and INACCURATE idea.

As for this driver.

Works.....NVCP broken still from the last official set. Nothing I do fixes it. Clean installs DDU...I just gotta keep restarting the LS service in services.

No, they are not.

Tri SLI and Quad SLI yes...works but not officially supported.

5. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Nivida board room late one summer night in 2014:

One new member bravely interrupts the hot topic of discussion that night "I think we are making way too much money and need to cut back so I suggest we start to phase out SLI. This SLI strategy is selling way too many cards so in order to reduce our profits we should promote a one card solution starting asap."

Well the night was long and late and most of the sleepy board members were already dozing off so this new upstart's idea passed and that is what we have today.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah it's not going to happen anytime soon.

Okay, and?

Every game I have I see the scaling with Gsync at 165hz. 2K monitor, DSR to 4K.....Gsync....165hz.

It's all about personal matters here, and you'll be sorely mistaken if you think I'm the only person with a XB1.

Tri-SLI and Quad-SLI is what isn't officially supported. You get what you get.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  7. phatbx133

phatbx133 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1050ti 4GB
    Same boat here :banana:

8. wwsvs

wwsvs Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black / 6144mb
    Has anyone tried these new drivers in any of the Adobe products? Premiere Pro or AfterFX? Thanks!

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah, they are. AMD hasn't even said a word on CF support on upcoming Vega cards for example.

10. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    The CF/SLI decline denial is hilarious. It is declining, and with software support dropping, it will probably continue to decline outside of a very very small market. It will be up to Nvidia/AMD to increase the use/usefulness of it by coming up with a solution to have hardware level syncing of GPU's that doesn't rely on software for support.

If such a thing is even possible, or within the scope of a nearly incompetent team that still can't figure out why certain games cause idle clock states to break. :p

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    I also have good experience when it comes to SLI..Most of my games in my Steam and Origin have SLI Support..The Games that don't can easily be maxed out by a Single 1080ti..

12. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The immediate solution is to use explicit APIs (D3D12/VK) to program your mGPU solution yourself. Anyone is free to do this for their games (well, not with VK yet but soon). Considering that most games seem to avoid these APIs like a plague however I wouldn't put much faith into this.

A more long term solution is to make a GPU out of several separate dies, like AMD did with Ryzen for example. It will be a lot harder for GPU though to handle the interconnects transparently to s/w - and this isn't really a SLI/CF substitute since such multi-die GPUs will still be essentially just one "chip" to a consumer, like AMD's Epyc for example. I also have some doubts that such an architecture is even possible for GPUs without severe drawbacks - we're likely to see this approach being used no sooner than we'll ran out of further production process improvements.

13. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    So many things to say.

SLI does appear to be dying, for two reasons:
    • Some newer popular 3rd-party engines, like Unity, do silly things like not run in Exclusive Full-Screen mode and so SLI can't be used. They do dumb-**** like Fullscreen Borderless. Unity can fix this, they just don't. There are hacks sometimes, but two major engines have this problem, and that covers a bevvy of newer games.
    • DX12 gives us native MGPU. Holy ****balls yes! But wait... that means the onus is now on the game dev to add MGPU support. That's extra programming time. No business invests in man-hours unless there's a return. Is there? Sure, SLI DX12 will sell more than non-SLI DX12 games -- but more than the time invested to make it happen? Only each dev can answer that...
    Now, I'm an SLI user. I love SLI. I've been using SLI since it SLI stood for _Scan-line Interleave_ by 3dfx, the gods of 3D, almost exactly 20 years ago.

Right now, I have two 1080TIs in my system. Before this, I had two 980TIs. Before that 3x680GTX. Before that, two 580s and so on...

SLI is still awesome. 90% of my games installed (which includes latest titles) have no problems. Scaling is better than it's ever been. I can do cool **** like:
    • Run games at native res with Ultra on everything @ 100hz (my monitor refresh) instead of 60hz, or instead of turning details down
    • Run games at 4k at Ultra everything @ 60hz or @100Hz depending on game
    • Run DSR from 4k-16k -- the best image quality you have ever seen, sometimes without turning details down depending on game.
    • When Rift 2 or Occulus 2 arrive (I'm waiting for 2nd gen), run those maxed out in VR for their min 90fps demands on Ultra.

There other benefits too that many people overlook: for e.g., I can run games at my monitor's native res, Ultra everything, at 100fps -- SILENTLY. Load split between two cards, no one card's fans spinning up much at all. On a single card, that bitch would be whining like a mutha****a.

I love SLI. I'll likely continue to buy SLI. But support is changing for the reasons above. And that's sad.

PC is supposed to push the envelope. Indeed, one fact remains: the latest, newest, titles often crush current-gen cards. One card is not enough. But two often is -- I'm not held back by lack of GPU power when the latest games come out.

For the moment, at least.

14. Francko1979

Francko1979 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti SC SLI´ed

Sorry to bother Martigen, I wanted to ask you.
    I just sold 2 980Ti I had in SLI and planning to do the same upgrade as you. SLI 1080Ti. Is it worth it?

What game/app still gives you a run for your money? Running Ghost Recon WL @4K, maximum settings is my goal.

Thanks!

15. Bloodred217

Bloodred217 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8GB
    This is incorrect, SLI does not require exclusive fullscreen in order to work. It does perform better in exclusive fullscreen, but it also does work in windowed/borderless fullscreen mode and there are also Unity games which scale with SLI.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Exclusive fullscreen is on it's way out as well. D3D12 have no exclusive fullscreen and Win10CU has already introduced "fullscreen optimizations" (essentially running them in a borderless window via exclusive fullscreen emulation) for some D3D11 games. I'm certain that with FCU the number of D3D11 games supported will go up again. All other APIs are running in a virtualized borderless window since WinVista.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Scaling is poor thou, not to mention that multiplayer games that do a lot of server communication perform better with a single card than with their so called SLI support, to CPU bound to allow the GPU to do it's work.
    If MultiGPU for gaming is to be kept going in the future it needs to be revised and reinvented.
    3DFx scaled on a complete different level too, but like SLI it was a niche product as well.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Actually, borderless is on its way out too. We're moving towards a new mode. It's not just a window without borders, but it doesn't switch the current mode either.

It's pretty great, actually. Was not just about time, IMO, but long overdue.

19. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Unless you play competitive I see no reason NOT to Sli... I'm secretly saving for another 1070...don't tell my wife...besides, Inspector helps out a lot when trying to solve scaling issues which were rare when I was running it a year ago.

20. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I rather pay for one 1080 Ti then two 1070s. It works in all games without any issues and is even cheaper. And the performance between 1070 SLI and 1080 Ti is even quite similar.