Preview: Unboxing Ryzen Threadripper 1920X & 1950X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No I just requested something resembling Double-precision floating-point precision / binary64 :nerd:

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, that is due out for release later this month. I'm sure we'll test it though.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Customized review kits are a neat touch. Now back to waiting for the review proper :D.

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Oh wow, that's amazing level of service :) Really does make you think that AMD actually cares :)

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Looks like AMD has pulled out all the stops with Ryzen Threadripper. Man, I'd love to have a dummy chip with my name on it (I wonder if AMD would consider it?). Eagerly looking forward to the review.

The only real issue I had with AM4 is the lack of board availability - I had to wait up to a month for it, and it was a preorder. I really hope this won't be the case with TR (MSI: you'd better deliver this time!)

6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Genuine wow factor on a plate for you from AMD.
    AMD like you, a lot.
    Beep, Houston. The Guru3D has landed. :)

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Honestly, I think the 1900X will be the most interesting product. It ought to highlight any potential performance lost in AM4, and it seems to be an ideal product for those who want the extra PCIe lanes but may find 12+ cores to be overkill.

8. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    they definitely win on the packaging front.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AM4 didn't really have any problems (aside from some motherboards specifically, which has nothing to do with AM4, but the manufacturer of that board itself) except for when it came to running ram BEYOND the supported frequencies that AMD put out there. But even that has mostly cleared up now.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Wow AMD is sexy again. That kit makes me so jel, i want one.

In fact i'm 99.9999% sure i'm gonna get the 8 core version.

These bad boys have ECC memory too for reliability.

11. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    thank you Hilbert and thank you AMD for a promising product

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  12. MainFrame Alpha

MainFrame Alpha Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX 980 TI
    Man, Great unboxing :)..thank you Hilbert for sharing :nerd:
    this is one nice packing form AMD, they really doing there best on this one. gotta respect there attention to details. Guru3D logo on suitcase, and the dummy CPU with logo engraved on, come on, how cool is that! :nerd:
    and the CPU mount, good stuff..oh, thanks for the Video Hilbert, more of those please, maybe a video review on the 10th..a final verdict video feed from master Guru3D himself :)
    now can't wait for the actual review..fingered crossed that AMD is going to deliver something truly awesome!!!

13. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Oh man Do I want one of these bad-boys!!! I honestly never thought I would see Amd in the high-end Market in this lifetime at least wow Much props and I am starting to save for one! At the very least I will get the 8/16 Thread Ryzen.Great times ahead for sure.

14. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Fantastic press kit presentation from AMD. Is it just me or is that ROG Zenith Extreme simply the most badass motherboard ever? Even the name sounds monstrous!

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You know what else is monstrous? The price. That this is $689 Canadoughs on Newegg.ca. Unless it can also do my laundry, no mobo is worth that kind of money. I'll opt for one of the more reasonable options instead, LoL.

16. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    nvidia is getting free ads in 2 of the last photos :p

it'd be great if vega was the one install in there with threadripper

17. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    Awesome! Thanks for the preview, I can't wait for your review!

Man what I would give to get a new Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and a fresh new mobo aka a ASUS Zenith Extreme(damn is it sexy!).

My X79(especially), 1600mhz RAM and i7 3930K are ready to retire :) Damn would it own to have 32 logical cores for when I work with Visual Studio and my game dev every day. Especially for when I do builds every few minutes running my changes and not have to wait with such a setup.

I wonder if this CPU will be horded by all serious YouTubers who use Vegas Pro(or other multi-cored/threaded Video Software)? If you have a Fiber connection and this CPU(1950x) you could pump out 4K and 1440p videos/content like crazy in no time and 1080p would be a drop in the bucket.

Also the CPU is going to be an epic upgrade for my gaming and especially the newer games. As an engine developer what a time it is to be alive right now for PC gamers, its pretty freaking amazing!

Thank you AMD, upgrade mode at 1000%, I just wish I could afford it right now :( must find a way...

18. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    The only real issue I had with AM4 is the lack of board availability - I had to wait up to a month for it, and it was a preorder. I really hope this won't be the case with TR (MSI: you'd better deliver this time!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was another Issue. I am now not sure if I should go with ASRock, MSI or ASUS. I always had ASUS with my recent Motherboards, but the MSI Boards are cool too.

I think I will buy the TR first then decide on the Motherboard, as I am having issues to decide with which Manufacturer I should go this Time.

19. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    The RAM Frequencies is what was holding me back from buying a Ryzen.

Since I need a 32GB Ram Setup for my Work (Games don't use that much) it was not possible at that time with earlier BIOS Version's I did read, plus the Frequencies was an issue too.

I know it is now possible to run the Ram on 3200mhz but is it now also possible to have a 32GB 3200mhz Setup with the Ryzen? I could only see 16GB Setups on most Benchmarks, Setups.

20. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Thanks for posting this great article. I really appreciate the fact that AMD has shown Guru3D such impressive deference - Hilbert and Guru3D have in my opinion, earned this.