More Ryzen Threadrippers spotted - the 1920 with a 140W TDP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2017.

1. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    140W you can maybe run on a good air cooler. A full 180W TDP CPU? Not likely.
    ("Running" under my definition would not include any thermal throttling under the most demanding stress testing.)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Whatever way you want to say, i don't care. That portion of the sentence had absolutely nothing to do with what was being talked about lol.

3. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    AMD has said it's packaged cores thats in use and two blank dies to help even the pressure what people are forgetting is the size of the socket needs 4x the pressure to make proper contact meaning if used two cores they would be crushed due to the applied force of when mounting the cooler to it. Since the cores can only be disabled in pairs it means configurations can only be 8+8, 6+6, 4+4 and 2+2 although 2+2 is very unlikely for this platform since they are already cherry picked. In the future they maybe able to configure it as 8+6 or 6+4 but this is not presently possible. Although they have not stated It's also possible the blank dies may just house the PCIe lanes through the mesh as a bridge.

Although i understand it's 4+4 per-package that may confused people so better to keep it as 8+8, Not sure why people would think it would 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2 to get the 16 cores that would be a huge waste of resources.

Correct it's about the surface area more heat can be adsorbed at one time and transferred. The i9 is significantly in a smaller package and more heat is concentrated at a single point rather than two like thread ripper. Thats why looking at the Core i9 their clocks start to pumpet as they add more cores as at that point you need something significantly more thermal conductive.. also does help that they use cheap thermal paste either. Thats why as more cores are added thread ripper comes out on top they can maintain their clock speeds and to compensate for that the cooler ideally should have more surface area which is easier to do. I might pick up a 1920 CPU a bit over kill but i like it but i will wait intill there are more coolers on the market that has this extra surface area Askek AIO can cover most of it if you remove the supplied thermal paste and cover the entire bottom of the cold plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvGYxaMLc0

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. raminrostami

raminrostami Guest

GPU:
    amd
    dont buy intel x299 , vrm mother board is very very hot,can reach 120c,,, cpu hot too,,, dont forget this cpu long life = temprature

buy amd ryzen or threadripper very powerfull 40%+ and very very cool and -50% cheaper than 16core intel

ryealy ryzen is cool gooooddddzzzziiila

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXWP6fil2Ya/

5. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    i will disregard what you said only because you fell for intel marketing and have an i9. lol:banana:

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, because if you keep it at 8+8, and IF its not possible to do something like 3+2 or 1+4 in a package, people will then think "well, fine, since it needs to be the same on each side, since it's not 4+4, it's 8+8, then 5+5 can work!" When in reality, it doesn't. Because a 5+5 would on these chips would need something like 1+4+1+4 or, if it visually makes sense for people (1+4)+(1+4) the "( )" being a package. And again, the theory is, that you can't do 1+4, it'd have to be even, which would mean (if for some reason we kept it at 8+8 even though that's now how it is setup and for the purpose of this conversation, completely destroys what we are talking about) 5+5 would not be possible.

Now, if it WAS 8+8, and IF the issue with cores in the packages needing to be even with eachother is correct (which i am not saying it is), THEN 5+5 could absolutely work. But its not, each DIE is 4+4, there are two active DIES on threadripper, and two dummy dies, which makes it 4+4+4+4 or (4+4)+(4+4). IF all dies were active in threadripper, then it'd be 4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4 or (4+4)+(4+4)+(4+4)+(4+4)

Again, this is how ryzen works. This is how it is setup. This is fact. There is no refuting this, as it IS fact. And in the topic we are talking about (what ryzen is capable of when dealing with 4+4, if it's able to do 1+4 inside a package, or do they need to be the same amount of cores on each side) it is absolutely essential to be discussed and displayed like that.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    this was not always the case with the phenoms my old phenom 2 x720 is still on work on my brothers set up and the 4th core works just fine ...the only side effect from it is that the temperature reading breaks down when the 4th core is active other than that the cpu works fine years already i posted an image showing this somewhere around the easter when i did visit him for few weeks ... so the core was healthy but the temperature reading was breaking down amd could not sell it for a 4 core but sure as hell my brother did not minded the extra free core !

8. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017