More Ryzen Threadrippers spotted - the 1920 with a 140W TDP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I feel that AMD should be focusing more on the 10 and 14 core models before a crippled 12 core. 140W is still a lot of heat so if people are looking for a quieter system (or perhaps cheaper cooling solutions) then that's not going to help much.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Be prepared to be bombarded with a bunch of people stating: It can't be done! i know a guy who knows a guy who says it can't be done!

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah I know :rolleyes:
    But when you consider how the 6 core Ryzens are made, it should be possible. I'm sure they'll be released at some point, but probably not for a while.

5. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Not really a lot practically speaking because its less cores active in the same size CPU. Surface area of the heat spreader didn't change. It should actually run much cooler than lets say 140watt intel CPU due to the double sized heat spreader of ThreadRipper.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Aren't those just 3+3?

Their argument is that you can't do something like 2+4 or 1+3, it always has to be equal. Of which, i'd say, the reasoning behind that could be correct.

In that way, a 4+4+4+4 processor could be:

1+1+1+1=4
    2+2+2+2=8
    3+3+3+3=12
    4+4+4+4=16

However, that wouldn't mean that AMD couldn't release processors with a specific model name of which all BIOS' when reading what processor it has, only sees and utilizes 10 or 14 cores. This is already possible with current BIOS' to have a computer only use, say 7 cores. on a current Ryzen setup.

The tricky part would be: How to prevent someone from altering a BIOS in some way to unlock the core not being used.

Will this happen? who knows.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Remember, this is TDP we're talking about, not actual wattage. Meaning, this is how much heat you have to dissipate. A 140W TR is going to output as much heat as a 140W Intel. The surface area just means that heat will be pulled away from the surface of the CPU faster (assuming the heatsink can take advantage of the CPU's size). Most high-end air heatsinks are limited up to 180W until they're saturated with heat. Dissipating 140W is still going to result in such a heatsink blowing the fans near or at full speed.

They are, but I have yet to find a source that proves arrangements like 2+4 or 1+5 (I'm guessing that was a typo?) aren't done. But let's say they must be symmetrical: there's still no reason that can't be done for TR. For example:
    5+5=10
    7+7=14

If someone manages to pull that off, I don't think AMD is going to care, because whatever core they unlock will likely be unstable. BIOSes and EFIs today are a little too complex for the average person to modify just to gamble with an additional core or 2, but I'd be interested to see someone try.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Threadripper is not 8+8, it's 4+4+4+4 (EPYC is 4+4+4+4+4+4+4+4), so it can't go beyond 4.

If it were 8+8 (will probably happen in the next 2-3 years) then 5+5 would absolutely be possible.

I've heard people saying it's 8+8 in previous threads as well, might have been you, i don't recall, but that's just not the case. You can clearly see it on the delidding article (and the guy confirms on on that article as well)

[​IMG]

Though it "looks" like 4 zepplins (which would make it 8 cores per), it is not. Each die has 2 zepplins (hence why you can see 8 "squares" on the heatspreader)

This is no different from a ryzen delidding:

[​IMG]

Of which "looks" like one zepplin, which would mean there's no infinity fabric etc. and is an 8 core processor, it's in actuality 4+4.

But, like you, i have yet to find anyone that has proven why it wouldn't be able to work with something like

2+2+2+4=10 or something along those lines.

Rather, people just spewing off what they believe "can't be done" based off their superior lack of knowledge lol

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm not sure if it can't be done, but I would say it's extremely unlikely (about as unlikely as a 5-core or 7-core Ryzen). With the X and non-X parts there are a total of 6 SKUs for TR, which is plenty for the HEDT market (about as many as Intel). Don't really see the point of shoving more parts into the lineup - for what purpose would they do this?

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Where do you come up with 6 SKUs?

There'd be 10, and with the X, there'd be 20, and in reality, there could be an unlimited amount, considering all they'd have to do, is name it something "unconventional", like 1915 or something.

As to why?

Choices are good. Granted, AMDs current lineup doesn't really have a price gap too large in between them, but that doesn't mean they couldn't put a processor in there inbetween the 8 and 12 core price level and 12 and 16. This would only increase sales, because if someone would be unwilling to spend $1000 for a 16 core, but might be willing to spend $900 (before someone says "well that's only $100 away!" I'm sorry, but its their money, its their budgets, you don't get to tell them if they are going to spend $900, might as well spend $1000), then that's $100 gain from AMD for having a 14-core processor at $900, otherwise the customer would have gotten the 12-core at $800.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Threadripper is 8+8 (as in two Zeppelin dies). It's been confirmed by AMD that two dies are disabled. On top of that there are pins only for two Zeppelins dies. Also those you are so wrong about those "Though it "looks" like 4 zepplins (which would make it 8 cores per)". That looks only like that because how the solder is applied. Zeppelin die looks like any other die. If you don't believe me watch der8auer's video again... Where's the hat where you keep pulling all that "info"?

Also you can keep dreaming about 10 and 14 core Threadrippers.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...No.

Threadripper is 4+4+4+4 with 4+4+4+4 as dummies.

Seriously, what is so hard to understand about this? lol

Take a look at that RYZEN PHOTO. It's a 4+4 die. Attach 4 of those 4+4 packages to threadripper, make two of them dummies, and you have 4+4+4+4. NOT 8+8, it does not work that way.

If you don't understand this, then my question is this: Are ryzen chips 4+4, or 8? The correct answer is 4+4, which should be common knowledge.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

^

This is HOW ryzen works, to refute this, is to refute fact....

[​IMG]

Each DIE (each rectangle, or package) aside from the dummies are this:

[​IMG]

AKA

4+4

Since there are 4 packages, with 2 disabled, that makes 4+4+4+4

Seriously though, how is this NOT common knowledge?

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm talking about the confirmed likeup:
    1900, 1900X, 1920, 1920X, 1950, 1950X

But that's why they have the non-X versions. The 1950 will probably be priced between the 1920X and the 1950X (so $900). If the non-X versions didn't exist then I would agree with you, but I think 6 SKUs are enough, and offer plenty of choice.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    True, from a pricing standpoint if they are going to introduce the non-x models (is that official, or suspected with rumors?) then there's not a whole lot of wiggle room, pricing wise.

16. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    At least AMD is using solder in all of their cpu's instead of crappy paste like Intel.
    The 10 Core i9-7900X thermals and power draw are insane compared to RYZEN 7 1800X.

17. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    Disabled would mean they used actual dies which dummies are not. Otherwise, that would double the price.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Hmmm that 1900x looks interesting with boost up to 4.2GHz, so it could theoretically OC to 4.4GHz? Given that extra 200mhz boost over 1800x.

19. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Nice read...;) Sort of sums up 8-core and 12 core and 16-core TR's, doesn't it?...;) Just like the 1900 non-X speculated about here, if some of the 12-cores don't bin and validate at 3.5GHz, but do so at 3.2GHz, what would be wrong with creating a market niche for them? Intel's been operating that way almost forever. Really, everyone does. Otherwise, lots of wasted silicon, imo.

20. GiNaJuIcE

GiNaJuIcE Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1080 AMP
    going to quote hilbert

"Surprisingly enough, AMD was spot on about that. It is not an issue. Placed my finger on the heatspreader surfaces that are uncovered by the LCS block, not even close to warm."

so take that as it is. maybe threadripper will not run hot like the i9 space heaters. Going to go on a limb and say you can run these things just fine aircooled. but time will tell! haha

great stuff by amd. they are shaking up the industry for sure. intel coming out with a i3 4 core 8 thread cpu! lmfao!