Installing Windows XP on AM4 Ryzen 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AMDK6, May 22, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    You do realize XP needed, and needs, a PAE (physical address extension) patch to even support 64-bit CPUs?
    Multithreading wasn't a thing when XP was created, XP isn't an effective multithreaded OS.

Also legacy XP-era software for sure isn't multicore aware anyway so re-reading I'm not actually sure what you wish to accomplish?

Like said either virtualize or try to find a second hand Sandy/Ivy (or older Core 2 era) build if you insist on running XP natively.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

There's the processor height consideration, but that aside it would be for various legal reasons. Do heatsink manufacturers have to pay royalties for supporting a particular socket?

3. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    Drivers exist for 900 series. It has been tested on an Intel Z270 chipset. The most important would be video and audio. Even on the High end you could use GeForce GTX 980 Ti or GeForce GTX Titan X. For other hardware a USB card could be installed to support any USB device.

4. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    I've installed XP on a KabyLake it's a no brainer. Fully working video, audio, network, and USB. But for laptops I'd avoid since you can't install your own graphics card internally.

Chipset drivers aren't necessary to install XP. What is important is a proper SATA driver which can be modified to work to get the installation to start.

64-bit CPUs have been supporting XP for a long time. PAE is included as part of XP already. And even going back to a Sandy Bridge Quad cores already work with XP. Even some are using an Intel with 8 cores on X99. So it is multicore aware. Most processes are tapping into each core.

Your system specs:
    ASRock X370 Killer SLI, Ryzen5 1600, and the EVGA 980Ti SC+/Xtreme IV qualify for the necessary components for a good chance to install XP natively.

If you got a spare drive even as small as 128GB or less I could help you confirm XP will install and work on your AM4 Ryzen. You would the first ancient Guru and Finnish to have done it if you're willing I will assist.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

5. AMDK6

AMDK6 Guest

GPU:
    32MB
    The combined bootloader image for my XP, Windows 7, and Windows 10 is pretty small. Under 50MB in size. This is almost instantaneous to restore but we can call it a second or two. The OS portion is stored on another partition which does not require imaging. But if you were to image even XP OS clean it is around 1.5GB so it will take around 50-75 seconds and much less on faster SATA speeds to a SSD. In comparison Windows 7 and 10 at 20GB image size you are still talking around 10-15 minutes+.

As for new features there hasn't been anything since Ivy Bridge to KabyLake of any significance that will be of any noticeable technological advantage. Still no sign of USB 4.0 and no PCIe 4.0, and most consumer Intel CPUs are stuck at quad cores still after 4 generations unless you go to server class. It should have been either 6 or 8 cores standard by now and at the bottom rung Celerons would have gone from dual to quad core by now. AMD has it and a prime reason why Ryzen 7 is a good system to experiment.

6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    I can confirm that XP are running even on Z370 - at least my Gigabyte MB z370 has ACPI compatible problem, so you need install it in no ACPI mode (MPS multiprocessor PC HAL) and USB and PS2 not working after 1st reboot - you need enable remote desktop for 1st login and detect network card running setup - nlite is your friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hail backward compatibility!

128GB RAM patch no go for know its based on ACPI hal, some more coding needed..

There some projects in progress USB3 intel drivers (for know you can use Via, Asmedia and Renesas USB3), GPT for booting drive (for non booting there is paid SW), Nvidia 10xx driver.. frack * stupid SW barriers!

There se still some games which are working best in XP or on fast Windows 98SE.

I managed to get Windows98Se on X99, maybe it will work even on Z370..

No virtualization is not solution - no good 3D drivers - Vmware GPU for XP development stopped, Virtualbox 3D is joke, Qemu has nothing.. Bochs / PCem support only old WIndows98 machines (P233MMX, 256MB, 4 MB graphics, Vooodoo 2 12 and SB128)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    radosuaf likes this.
  7. radosuaf

radosuaf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock 6800 XT 16GB
    I suppose XP is for very limited purposes - why not VM?

8. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I just had to pull out my old WinXP laptop a few days ago to help my good friend fix his PC recording setup. While I have no use for it, I am intrigued to see whether XP works with Ryzen, just for the lols.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The glory days of XP has come and gone, just do yourself a favor and install Windows 7 or higher.

10. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Because Vmware and Virtualbox Direct3D and OpenGL implementation sucks and there are some programs, which are still running in XP best..

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There must be modern alternatives that run in Win 7 >

12. CoMmAnDrX2

CoMmAnDrX2 Guest

GPU:
    MSIGTX680 Lightning
    Broadcaster StudioPro, I have to use XP in VMWare so I can use that software as it will not work in Vista/7/8/10

It will install on 7 but it gives a driver issue thus no video. Yes I could use a new software like OBS but I've found this is more relibale to run 24/7 plus I can edit the huge playlist with ease. I have over 500+ movies playing 24/7/365 and never a hiccup from it. Wish it would work in 7 or above but it won't

As for running XP as a main system... that's just crazy talk and I was a hardcore XP supporter. It's long in the tooth and only good for niche setups were security is not an issue.