First Samsung Galaxy note 8 Photos Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The Galaxy Note 8 smartphone would be revealed by Samsung later this month, However Evan Blass shared some photos on Twitter. The photos show the new Note 8. Much like the Galaxy S8 it has very thin s...

First Samsung Galaxy note 8 Photos Surface

2. I wouldn't buy any phone based on having a fingerprint scanner or where it is positioned anyway, they are the most useless form of bio security around. Fingerprints are notoriously horrible to use and while you are sleeping all it takes is for someone to place sellotape over your finger and then use the sellotape to unlock your phone. It also sucks using your fingerprint when you work outdoors. Get your hands dirty, sorry nope, gotta wash those hands first before your phone believes that it's your finger. Or perhaps you get a cut on your finger and all of a sudden you are back to having to use your backup password because your phone no longer believes this is you. It's also why you really do need to create several fingerprint profiles for multiple fingers which is just a hassle.

This is why the iris scanner is the way forward imo and thats a much better reason to buy a Note 8 or S8 since majority of phones have a fingerprint scanner already, and they're all ****, as versus the latest flagships from samsung being the only ones who have the most advanced bio security possible in a mobile device at this stage.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Been using the fingerprint scanner on my S7 for 12 months now, only time I have an issue is if I've been in the bath or done the dishes and my fingers are pruned, but I have a PIN set as secondary which takes 2 seconds to enter if needs be

Sellotape over your finger while you are asleep :D lol, Mission Impossible right there, pretty sure I'd wake up if someone started sellotaping me, or even if they came into my room

Fingerprint has been the fastest and easiest unlock method I've ever used, but I would not like it on the back of the phone, I unlock my phone sitting on my desk without picking it up, would be a PITA to have to pick it up each time

Iris scanner would also be a PITA having to pick the phone up each time and stare at a camera

4. Yeah, sellotape while sleeping is a bit of a stretch, but it works. Tell me, how many times do you have to swipe your finger before it actually unlocks? You cannot say it unlocks the first time, every time....because it doesnt. Sure, you dont have to pick your phone up to unlock it if the fingerprint is built into the home button, but you spend just as much energy swiping your finger 5 times, and get the added bonus of it taking 2-3 times longer to unlock your phone and most of the time you will need to pick your phone up to use it anyway - if you are unlocking your phone just to check for notifications then you are not utilizing the always on display which the s7 also has.

Note 8 has both, fingerprint scanner and iris scanner so u can choose to use both at your leisure. and personally I find the fingerprint scanner much more useful to use to take photos if/when using the front camera for example like huawei p9/10 devices do, rather than bio security which doesnt work as well as it should. This is when a rear mounted fingerprint scanner can be quite handy. Out of the 8 years ive been working with mobile phones in retail, in the more recent years, fingerprint scanners and their failures have been a major pain in the ass for both myself and my customers - so much so that I don't recommend them often. I can certainly say they are getting better as time goes by, but they all get annoying at some point eventually and especially like I mentioned before, if you work outdoorsor do outdoorsy activities as versus office work and video games.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The S7 fingerprint scanner is actually pretty good, you don't swipe you just rest your finger on the home button and it unlocks, and as I use the home button to wake the phone up I just leave my finger on and as soon as the screen comes on it unlocks, I'd say 95% of the time it is first time within less than a second, the other 5% is if I have wet/sweaty hands or the home button needs cleaning, but yea generally it unlocks immediately without a fuss

I had the S5 before this and you had to swipe with that, and it took quite a few attempts to unlock and was fairly irritating, locking you out if you got it wrong a few times etc, but the S7 is a breeze

I don't use the AOD because it stopped the phone dropping into Doze and gave bad battery drain, usually I don't need to pick it up as it will be a text or whatsapp message I just read from where it is, obviously if I reply I pick it up to type but it's nice to just be able to unlock, read and turn off without having to

If you work with phones and have a chance to try out the S7 fingerprint scanner have a try, it might surprise you how quick and bug free it is, also you get to add 4 fingerprints iirc, so I use my index finger and thumb on each hand, and it scans many many points and angles of each finger to make up the final print, which will be why it generally unlocks first time no matter which orientation you place your finger, I can put my finger on straight or completely sideways and it will still unlock fine

I'd give the Iris scanner a trial, but I think it would end up being more of a gimmick for me than useful, I can imagine having to physically point the camera at my eyes every single time I wanted to unlock the phone would get old quick

And if it was dark and couldn't see your eyes properly etc

I've played with facial recognition on PCs before, and unless you looked exactly like you did when you set it up, it wouldn't work, lighting was a big problem too

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    looking more forward to the software (So it can be ported) then the actual device.

7. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    I agree the s7 fingerprint scanner actually worked nearly as good as the one apple uses, the one on the iphone is nearly perfect.

8. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Even the fingerprint scanner on my S5 is good enough, to me it only tends to fail if you start swiping from random positions. As long as you swipe from the same general position like when you first registered it, it will be accurate 90% of the time.
    Like Extraordinary said, the fingerprint scanner is the fastest way of unlocking a phone and I really miss this functionality (I've been running a custom OS after a year of buying the S5).

It's practically swipe unlock that only works for you. I simply don't get the hate.
    Iris scanner is inconvenient because you have to hold the phone at eye level.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    When I had the S5 I ran stock but flashed a debloat script from TWRP which removed all the bloatware and left the phone nice and snappy but with all functionality of stock

10. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    "That alone for me would be reason not to buy it (I like it on the front-side, the home button @ Galaxy 7 was just great really)."

I currently use a Galaxy S8+. I previously used the Galaxy S6, which had a fingerprint scanner on the front home button, and I can say that the fingerprint location on the back isn't really a big deal. Although it was somewhat challenging at first, you quickly get used to it - after using it for a couple of weeks, I was able to hit it virtually every time (having a case helps, and you should always buy a case anyways). The fingerprint scanner on the Note 8 looks to be similar, so I have no concerns about it. Just my two cents.

I use both the fingerprint scanner and iris scanner, and I prefer the former almost all the time. Although the iris scanner works pretty well, I have to look at the phone in order to unlock, which isn't always possible or convenient. You also have to turn on or hard press the home button to activate the iris scanner, whereas you can just place your finger on the scanner at any time to unlock it.

I have my S8+ sitting on a wireless charging cradle most of the time, and when I need to unlock I usually put my hand over the top of the phone and place my finger on the scanner upside down. This way, I can unlock without picking up the phone. Took some getting used to, but works pretty well.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea that doesn't sound too terrible, could get used to that I guess, once you learn where the scanner is without having to fumble around trying to find it

You adjust to whatever you've got tbh, what sounds like a PITA now would end up being second nature if it was your only option

12. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Looks just like my S8 only bigger

13. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Maybe the fingerprint sensor on the s7/s8/iphone is great and all but on my galaxy a5 2017 it sucks. I mean, lord, it sucks. I really hope they improve this on the new generation of devices because it has potential. This note 8 looks like a big s8 and thats fine with me, that screen to body ratio is a sweet thing.

14. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I didn't know there's a debloat script, thanks for the tip I'll definitely look into this.

15. anthos

anthos Guest

GPU:
    -
    Yeah, there are people sellotaping your finger while you sleep so they can steal your fingerprint and the thing that worries you is that they will be able to unlock your phone and not the fact that THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT SELLOTAPE YOUR FINGER WHILE YOU SLEEP!!

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  17. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No probs :)

19. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Still looks like a television remote control. Will be well overpriced at $1000, for half that amount you can get another brand having the same specification.

Should be no more than £600...