Amazon under investigation for violating trade sanctions.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Exascale, Jul 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Another amazon rant thread, how soon do you think this one will be closed?

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

How would any seller know that they're selling to someone on a watchlist short of looking up the person on all available watchlists? What if you're a private seller, does it mean you should not sell to anyone with a foreign sounding name?

I see where there issue is though. Embassies are a little part of the country of the country to which the embassy belongs, so even though they didn't sell the items to Iran proper, they sold it to the embassy and therefore 'shipped it to Iran'. Another issue is they sold to someone on a terrorist watchlist, and by the article it sounds like this person is in one of these embassies in the undisclosed country. I'm sure it must a be a comfort to the countries to know that a person on the terrorist watchlist has diplomatic immunity.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Damn dude did jeff bezos kill your dog or something

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What now? We already know your loathing of Amazon. With each new thread amounting to the same rant it is starting to come across more like help the paranoids are after me.

6. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Disgust doesnt equal fear.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Then is that is the case, act like an adult, say your piece and be done with it. Only a spoiled child keeps ranting the same thing over and over in hopes they get their way through force. Like was said, we already know how you feel towards the CEO and the organization.

Sand is being thrown at the wrong window. Educate the masses, organize a picket line across a few Wal Marts. Talk is cheap.

EDIT:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2017/05/24/the-worlds-largest-retailers-2017-walmart-cvs-amazon/#35be9a4b20b5

Realize you are complaining about "...Amazon is now the world's third-largest retailer and ranks No. 83rd on Forbes' Global 2000 list of the world’s biggest and most powerful public companies, as measured by a composite score of revenues, profits, assets and market value. The e-commerce juggernaut jumped a whopping 154 spots from last year..."

Complaining about a company that is too far down the list or upset they are only in the number 3 spot and think they should be higher?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  8. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    This is a separate tech industry piece of news. Its interesting how you feign disinterest but comment anyway ;) Why could that be?

Besides, i put my money where my mouth is and i dont give those companies my money.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Who's faking interest? Just commenting on how this fits into your general disgust for the organization which has been made blindingly apparent on multiple occasions.

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I buy almost everything I get from 3 sources. WalMart, Amazon, and eBay and I have nothing against any of them. Whoever has the lowest price gets my business. The only retailer I try to stay away from is Target.

Having said that, trade sanctions should not be violated but from what I've seen what Amazon did falls in a rather grey area.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017

11. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Buying based on price with no ethics is why the western economies are disasters. That mentality is very shortsighted and self destructive so of course you could rationalize what they did as a gray area.

Only company you mentioned that i actually shop at is Target because they sell some decent things, while the others are garbage.

12. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  13. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Did you even read the thing you linked? Hear of the Great Recession? Quantitative Easing? Increasing national debts in the west while simultaneously reducing domestic manufacturing?

I also didnt just say the USA. I said the west in general. People not caring where things are made or the ethics of the companies they buy from causes the kind of capital flight that makes oppressive communist regimes rich while making their own population poor. They also feed literal slave labor and the warlords who deal in conflict resources.

People wonder how certain companjes can offer such great prices. Its called slave labor and conflict resources. Thats what you fund when you buy the cheapest possible option. Slavery is still VERY popular in somd parts of the world.

But i guess for western shoppers, out of sight out of mind, right?

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It actually makes me sad watching people blindly buying from amazon.

However I am in this weird position...
    I want to support other internet shop, problem is, it takes ages and even retries to register on them and purchase procedure is horrible.
    I am not even mentioning updating order after purchase.

Amazon does good job at taking care of customer and that what we all care about.
    "Take care of customer and business will take care of itself."

I don't think Amazon even dreamed becoming so freaking huge. Customers just keep throwing money at it and overfeeding it.

Consumers are the problem. Having regulating system between consumer and provider would violate freedom and not possible with our late stage capitalism.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Get off your high horse. Do you buy clothes? Does not matter where. Do you eat? Does not matter what. Unless you make your own clothes or produce the very food you eat you are doing exactly what you are condemning others for. Who manufactured the car you drive? Where were the parts sourced? The computing device you are utilizing to post here, where were those parts manufactured? Do you purchase products produced by Philip Morris? Odds are you do and do not even realize it. Dissect your own life to the nth degree before spouting such high morals. Words are cheap. Hypocrites like yourself make me sick. Reason being, they fail to see their own hypocrisy while attempting to preach to others.

16. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    You think i dont do all those things? Why presume me to be a hypocrite when i buy as ethically as i can?

Including buying nearly all of my clothes from a small manufacturer in New Zealand and another in Australia. http://guide.ethical.org.au/company/?company=5305

I buy food as ethically as i can. I take great pains to avoid unethical companies to the best of my ability, but i have no doubt that there is Foxconn or Philip Morris somewhere in my house. I dont pretend like i dont, but the difference is that i HAVE been introspective and dissected my own life.

At least i try to MINIMIZE supporting unethical companies. I dont just say "well i just buy the cheapest thing made with slave labor i can buy from an economically destructive company because i dont care about anything but my own instant gratification!" like other people in this thread.

All you are doing is using the false consensus logical fallacy and projecting your sloth and lazyness onto me to justify your inaction. "Oh well you cant completely avoid evil compamies so might as well not even TRY!" is your mantra?

Talk about being on a high horse. Youre the epitome of that with your hubristic presumptions and ad hoc justifications.

17. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    How come terrorists aren't allowed to buy poptarts from Amazon?

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Like I said...fail to see there own hypocrisy. What assumptions have you made about me in that self edifying collection of words? Fail to remember what I had written in a previous I hate Amazon thread?

EDIT: Fail to realize that even the smallest of infraction makes one as guilty as someone who does exactly as you detest. Since a single object of an unethical shroud is in your possession provides you no leg to stand on in this kind of argument. Live without before spouting clueless conjecture.

19. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    You are criticizing me for stating that it is unethical to buy from companies that are economically destructive. You are, by default, saying that someone who at least tries is a hyporite if they say anything negative about the actions of others. Because why? Because i am an impperfect being?

So who exactly is allowed to state facts in your book? A hypothetical perfect being only?

You are calling me a hypocrite despite trying my best to avoid such companies and fully acknowledging that its almost impossible to completely avoid them. How exactly is that hypocritical? Please enlighten us all.

Care to explain your moral judgement of me as a sickening hypocrite when your very premise seems to be "making moral judgements makes one a hypocrite".

Seems like youre trying to speak out of both sides of your mouth on the subject. Maybe you dont personally buy a bunch of unethical stuff from unethical companies, but you seem fine with saying its perfectly ok to do so, and that criticizing an objectively destructive practice makes one a "hypocrite".

"EDIT: Fail to realize that even the smallest of infraction makes one as guilty as someone who does exactly as you detest. Since a single object of an unethical shroud is in your possession provides you no leg to stand on in this kind of argument. Live without before spouting clueless conjecture."

Really? So if i spit gum out on the sidewalk its the moral equivalent of dumping radioactive waste all over a nature preserve? You just imploded your whole fallacious argument with that nonsense rationalization. Thats all that amounts to. "Cant be perfect? Just dont try at all!"

Naturally, thats why every civilized country has the same punishment for every infraction, no matter how large or small! That sounds pretty rational and not delusional at all!

Btw i do live without a lot of that junk by choice because i TRY.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It means one is just as guilty period the end. What more needs to be said. You are the one spamming this agenda. The simple fact that you allow yourself an excuse by saying you try to be as ethical as possible but are not willing to be as gracious to another; extending a benefit of a doubt. What does that communicate to others?

EDIT: Blind hatred is still hate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.