MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. putzz

putzz Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    is there a plan to add HEVC/H.265 encoder for video capture?
    for both AMD and Nvidia recent cards support them now, no?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No plans, there are more important tasks in the list, sorry.

3. putzz

putzz Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    okay, thank you for the answer unwinder

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. pangeltveit

pangeltveit Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti SC AC Hybrid
    Can you please explaing a bit more?

All I can see in the Release notes is either when using an AMD card, or about the lock button.

I got a Nvidia 1080ti, and my OC does not apply at startup, even tried delaying MSI AB from starting by 20 seconds.

On Startup:
    [​IMG]

After Clicking Save 1 (only Save) and hitting apply:
    [​IMG]

Edit:

Delaying the startup by 35 seconds seems to have fixed it, i'm Guessing that CAM Software interfered with it, cant find a way to remove the OC tab in that program either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

5. Unwinder

Use search, sorry.

6. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770

So i found same issue with FFMpeg encoding NVENC and not using NV12 conversion. NVENC dont support YV12 properly and cause this chroma glitches. It need to be converted to NV12 to reproduce chroma correctly. Maybe this is the case with AB NVENC/QS chroma glitches?

7. DeadMan3000

DeadMan3000 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Non-OC
    I have an issue when using keyboard shortcuts. I have assigned a number of profiles to keyboard shortcuts. What I want to do is assign each profile keyboard shortcut combo to my G.Skill keyboard macros. The problem is is that I cannot get AB to react to the assigned keyboard macros. They are recorded correctly but AB ignores them. In fact, AB is slow actually responding to keyboard shortcuts. For instance if I hit ctrl-shift-f quickly to enable a profile AB ignores it. If I hold down ctrl-shift for a moment and THEN while holding those keys hit 'f' AB then applies the profile.

Is there a way to trigger a profile from a command line using the AB exe? I think doing so would be better as Windows could throw it to a keyboard shortcut that runs a batch file instead.

Basically I am unable to assign a keyboard shortcut to a profile via a macro because AB is too slow to pickup on a keyboard shortcut having been applied.

I initially thought it was to do with Windows ApplicationFramehost bug (causes slow reaction of Windows keyboard shortcuts) but I killed that process with similar results.

Any idea how to get this to work correctly?

8. Putzo

Putzo Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Open the file named "SaveMedia.cfg" in the same foler where RTSS.exe is located and in the section named [NV12] change the value of Quality from 0 to 1.

This seems to output proper NV12 instead of yuv420p. But in my limited testing with this setting enabled, I can't capture OpenGL games, only DX9 and DX11 ones. Just Cause 2 which is DX10, doesn't record video either.

9. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    NVENC dont even record anything with NV12=1 and cause massive lag pushing encoder server to 100% CPU load. Quicksync records but output same chroma error.

I tried DX11 game only. Btw i'm using Beta AB+RTSS.

10. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Running 4.4.0 Beta 12
    AMD's new driver 17.7.2 doesn't seem to play well with AB.
    The gpu/memory clocks are no longer adjustable in AB. Core Voltage and Fan Speed is still adjustable. Hoping that my saved profiles actually work. They are still show up but I can't tell what the OC is because it stays at 300/500 MHz
    However:
    Power Limit
    Temp Limit (the red link is unattached)
    Core Clock
    Memory Clock
    are all grayed out and are not adjustable.

It does read Crimson Relive 17.7.2 so its reading the correct driver version.
    I uninstalled AB then uninstalled the previous drivers. Because I read posts of others having the exact same problem. But apparently this method doesn't fix it either, shurg.

Edit:
    Here is another poster having the same problem.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5455984&postcount=63

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The Wattman settings reset with that driver so while I can't say for sure perhaps it's a new or updated version and thus these new compatibility issues though it's possible the unofficial mode in Afterburner will still work if you weren't using that already. :)
    (Think you want to ensure Wattman is in default state as to avoid potential conflicts if you do use it, don't want multiple software to try and control the GPU after all let alone sensitive clock and power changes.)

EDIT: Was it called unofficial or extended? I forgot.

EDIT: No dice with extended mode it seems.
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5455921#post5455921

Might end up having to be AMD needing to fix the driver on their end and not the AB software too so it could take some time similar to the previous driver update that had something like "compatibility with third party overclocking software." in it's release notes meaning overclocking via Afterburner.

12. Unwinder

With 17.7.2 AMD just ruined their next "new" ADL overclocking API, which they introduced with the very first version of Wattman. So any tool based on it like AB or WattTool stops working again. ADL2_OverdriveN_Capabilities_Get and ADL2_OverdriveN_SystemClocks_Get are no longer working at all, they are replaced with
    ADL2_OverdriveN_CapabilitiesX2_Get and ADL2_OverdriveN_SystemClocksX2_Get. Updating third party tools could make it working, but... AMD still provides SDK just for old and currently killed overclocking API. I'm wondering again, if "backward compatibility" terms mean anything for AMD deverlopers? :)

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems a bit hasty of them to just rename or perhaps more accurately replace those existing functions (Throwing existing compatibility out entirely in the process.) though Wattman going by the 17.7.2 release notes ( http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...mson-ReLive-Edition-17.7.2-Release-Notes.aspx ) does introduce memory underclocking and power state controls so some kind of change for this to work was needed.

Unfortunate for how it breaks existing utilities though (Again.) and with whatever changes AMD has done then well without a SDK update it might not be safe or at least not easy to update to match these changes and regain compatibility again.

Guessing you just got a lot more work thanks to these drivers, right on top of all the work for 4.4.0 for Afterburner and Rivatuner 7.0.0 at that. (The newly released version with Ryzen CPU support for example.)

And people not knowing whether it's the drivers or the software at fault, that confusion is going to be no fun at all I'd imagine.

Well hopefully AMD will provide some new tools then or well I don't know but I can imagine you'd have better things to do than trying to reverse these changes yourself and sort compatibility out that way.

EDIT: Not that I have much knowledge on this but I guess it comes down to what these two "X2" replacements have actually changed, could mean it's a smoother update or at worst it could require more work ensuring nothing else breaks. (Which is where some documentation or a up to date SDK would help from AMD's side.)

Regardless there's probably more productive things to do for a weekend than having to reverse or debug some new display driver coming out with little prior warning on these changes.

EDIT: Oh yeah it wouldn't just break Afterburner 4.4.0 beta would it, would also have to be a real pain and break the earlier (non-beta.) versions too at that.

14. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Is that also what causes the 16% GPU usage/100% memory controller bug? Really hoping this gets fixed, seems to be an AMD issue for sure since even GPU-Z is affected.

15. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Thanks for the confirmation. :(

16. arni

arni Member

GPU:
    msi rtx 3080 10gb
    iam using MSI AB v4.40 beta 12+RTSS v7.00 beta 25-26, with geforce forceware 384.94 whql..... i have problem with this beta MSI AB.... i cant take screen shot in my games (mafia 3, just cause 3, halo wars 1, shadow warrior 1), except world of tanks.... why?? how to fix this bug?? :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  17. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Open RTSS window, shift+click on the button "Add", select all false 3D Apps and click on OK

18. Mumak

Mumak Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega
    To add to your list, with 17.7.2 the ADL_Overdrive5_FanSpeed_Get call causes stuttering and mouse lagging on some systems.
    Bug submitted to AMD...

19. herpaderpa

herpaderpa Member

GPU:
    AMD
    ADLODNPerformanceLevelX2
    int iClock;
    int iVddc;
    int iEnabled;
    int XXX?;

20. Unwinder

That XXX is a bitmask validating the rest fields of each performance level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.