AMD Shows packaging of its first HEDT Ryzen ThreadRipper CPU.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 24, 2017.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Loophole35
    still lol..

@SirDremor
    only ignorant or fan clan ppl would go with a brand giving you less cores, consuming more power, running hotter all while charging more for the same, not even talking about a new chipset every time a "new" cpu gets released.

@schmidtbag
    lots ppl do have one rig for work AND "other stuff".
    not everyone wants two separate rigs, just so their are "optimized" another 10-20% towards their "dedicated" use.

At least i dont know anyone (self employed) that has a dedicated rig they only use for render/editing.
    Not counting laptops etc (to be portable).

Same for me. Do i need 10/12/16C for my games? surely not.
    But when i edit/encode, i will see a difference, which is enough for me to think about going X399 instead of X370. unless amd puts out a x1900 10 or 12C ryzen..

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm aware - doesn't change the fact it's a bad idea. Keep in mind I'm referring specifically to those whose who game on a PC that they depend on; a PC that is their living, where there isn't a backup or room for mistakes. For those who do work on a PC that can be readily substituted, or, a PC that isn't their main source of income then sure, why not tack on leisure if you've got cash to spend?

Here's the thing:
    Whether you depend on it or not, if you have a work PC but you have the money to blow on 16 cores for the sake of leisurely multitasking or to cater one's impatience, you also have the money to build 2 separate dedicated rigs. If you don't have the money to do so, then maybe you should do a better job prioritizing your tasks (not you specifically).

It's actually a lot cheaper to build several small PCs than it is to build 1 good one. All 3 of my daily PCs are mediocre at best by Guru3D standards, but they handle everything I throw at them with ease, and as an enthusiast it keeps my interest going since they're all completely different from each other. In the event one has a problem or downtime, no biggie - just temporarily use one of the others.
    EDIT: Since these PCs are all separate, in the event I'm multitasking (which I rarely do) it becomes easier to manage, since they have their own set of I/O.

Anyway I'm not discrediting the need for TR. For anyone doing gaming and non-serious work, you do you I guess. But I feel beyond opinion that gaming on a mission-critical PC is just simply a bad idea; easily doable, but to be avoided.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  3. Dygaza

Dygaza Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64 Liquid
  4. corsaro

corsaro Guest

GPU:
    1GB
    The Evil ”Brown" Eye of Lisa Su!:banana:

5. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    What is the 10 core price?

6. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    HH if you get one early then you should make an un-boxing YT vid because it'll get a ton of views i bet.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol Intel fanboy alert!~

I can understand 10nm being interesting (no matter what company produces it)

But 6-core coffee lake? Interesting? How so? It'll cost way too much for what it is, and it should have been released years ago. So how is something that'll cost too much, and be released years ago, interesting today? That being said as i originally said it's clear you're an intel fanboy because i guarantee if these WERE on 10nm, you'd claim something like "Intel 10nm, that'd be interesting. AMD 10nm isn't, sorry AMD fans"

In fact, i know that's true, because of your post history. With your post history, you are either an intel employee, or someone who is very susceptible to brain washing from intel. As your posts really do not make any sense.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There won't be any 10 core.

9. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    That packaging is a work of art:)

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @schmidtbag
    where do i discredit TR in any form?

just stating that all the ppl i know using a computer for things like editing/rendering (design, architect etc) they dont want another one "just" for gaming.

not even talking about money, as it's still cheaper than the intel.

11. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Reminds me of the 5960x Linus I think did the unboxing was some kind of Alien-pod and thr cpu popped-up and a door opend,Looked like the damm thing was going to explode haga.I loved it regardless.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I never said you did - I was just clarifying that I wasn't, because what I was saying could come across as though I don't like TR.

Indeed it is - very much so.

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Someone give me a big'ol monster copper block and I'll put the DeskStar's cooling capabilities to the test.

I am truly holding out for this CPU and a boss hoss motherboard.

14. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    I am very, very glad that AMD is moving forward with their ThreadRipper CPU - personally, I think its a very cool name too!

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I personally think it's a dumb name, but AMD could call it a purple unicorn for all I care as long as it delivers.

16. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Present coolers won't work on TR right? The base isn't large enough to cover the whole cpu.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Better then ending everything with "lake"

To be honest, i can't even keep up with how many "lakes" there are and which order they came out anymore.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah, there will be a new range of coolers for TR coming out.

19. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    At those clocks and given the fact that it will run quad channel ddr4... Man Intel has their work cut out forr themself. I just can't see Intel catching this 16 core beast with that pathetic clocks on their new 18 core cpu.

20. KodiaRok

KodiaRok Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2080TI
    This Year is by far the most exciting Year since AMD's Thunderbird Times.

I am still waiting to put my I7 4790k to rest or give it to someone else as the amount of cores/ threads is currently my limiting Factor.

The Intel X299 Platform doesnt really yet impress me, let alone the Prices. I have been with Intel after AMD's Burnout Phase, for what they offered after the Thunderbird.

This Year it's time to rethink everything over again. Yes Intel has provided us with more Power since AMD's Fall and bad decisions over Years now. But with their current Ryzen Line-Up and their Upcoming TR and EPYC CPU's is really time to think things over, Fanboy or not. I want Progress, Innovation and Performance. And for me it doesn't matter if that is Intel or AMD. But clearly for this Year and probably next Year, that seems to belong to AMD.

And don't trash over their Bugs and Issues. Every new Technological Aspect of a new Platform or Product has it's flaws and Bugs, wether it's amd or intel, nvidia or any other Hardware Company.

I will wait for a Review on those TR CPU's and then make up my Decision, I am open for anything but the Threadripper does shape up to be something very good.