Gears of War 4 Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recov

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Jul 11, 2017.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I just started playing the game . it was working fine for 3-4 hrs straight , then after some point or 3-4 missions it started crashing on the same spot , one time in instant, second time after 2-3 min . the game just freeze and the event viewer show this error . no BSOD or anything, I can alt tab out of the game , close it and do anything else like nothing happened.

Other games works fine for longer period of hours. I played Prey, Rise of the TombRaider , never had this error repeatedly like this .

So I'm thinking it's the game . many other people with 1080GTX says they have issues , also TI's and also some 970 cards.
    it's not heat, the gpu is barely 60c-55c when it freezes. no overclock

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ys/6184ab14-1403-4423-8de6-42e24ff4393e/posts

this one is me

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/forums...ed/1a2bd003-2ae1-429e-bb15-4d7468ad8e02/posts

2. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I started playing Gears 4 with a friend a few nights ago and I had a terrible time. The game seemed to be pretty cool, but I had constant 2-3 second long stutters, times where the game would sit between 4-5 FPS and the cinematics were about 6 seconds behind in the audio department. Not to mention the driver crash/reset you mention. Meanwhile, my friend and his 6600K/RX480 had zero issues all night long.

Other than going to an older driver, I've tried lots of stuff with no success. Stock clocks, playing on 1080p/low instead of 4k/high, resetting the app data, uninstall and reinstall, prefer max performance but none of that has helped.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pretty strange, this has been one of the most stable pc games I've owned in years, no problems across two different systems, one X58 with 980Ti's in SLi which I then switched to a 1080Ti, and the second system being X99 with two Titan X pascals.

One of my friends did mention that when lowering certain quality settings he had the game crash shortly after loading into gameplay, but it's not something I could ever replicate myself.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Changing settings and then trying to play the game always results in a hard lock for me. For example, last night I went in and changed DoF from high to medium, loaded my save file and a few seconds in had it hard lock. I asked my friend with the 6600K/480 to do the same thing and it crashed on him as well. For now I'm going to try getting my settings locked in, closing the game, opening it back up and going straight to gameplay. I'm pretty close to going back to 382.53 at this point, since the 384.xx series has brought nothing but trouble.

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

please update here if it works fine so i will revert too . sometimes it tales long time before crash it can be between 2 min into 2 hrs.

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I'll report back in a day or so. We tried playing again tonight and made it about 40 minutes before my game hard locked and we called it a night. By the way, all of my parts (CPU,GPU,RAM) are at stock speeds right now. UWP games have been particularly sensitive to overclocks so this is usually the first thing I try, but it hasn't helped at all. I think it is the 384.xx driver line, so I'm going to do a clean wipe and reinstall of 382.53 tomorrow and see how the games does.

7. hexaae

hexaae Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX980M 4GB G-Sync
    Did you try to set through NVidiaProfileInspector:
    • Preferred Refreshrate: Use the 3D application setting
    • Vertical Sync: Use the 3D application setting
    ?
    It solved my issues on gtx 980m gaming laptop and Windows 10 CU.

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    K , I hope that what fix it...

I have TV so only 60 Hz, and Vsync is already set to this .

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    The same happened to me with MEA (Mass Effect Andromeda) when I changed Vertical Sync to "Off" in the ingame settings. Changing back to "On" solved the errors and crashes with driver 384's.

10. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

I'll check it .

For some reason , Vsync is weird to say.

For example in Bladestorm Nightmare the game is usually caps to 60 Fps , and then always what happens after a restart of the computer. but for some reason some thing happens and I have no idea what it is, checking again the game the fps suddenly is 64 Fps and is smoother, and also no tearing, I'm using the game vsync , so I have no idea what happens.

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    For now what I did is

Installed Intel MEI INF file only
    Installed Intel WatchDog INF file only

Disable Vsync in the game and only use Frame Limiter

I didn't have crash so long 2-3 hrs

Does anyone else have stuttering every now and then ? it's like alway when looking on the same spot or passing through the same place. it's like something in the game.
    I don't think we need Frame Limiter and Vsync on the same time, it's screw with the engine. the Frame Limiter does pretty 100% lock on 60.00 if needed or any other FPS . this game is heavy, can't run stable 90 FPS on some places 2560x1440 all on ultra . FOV 90

EDIT : It crashed again ,,, I am not sure if it's because ALT TAB.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Only times I crashed with this game are Ambient Occlusion on Ultra (some games that use HBAO+ with my card will freeze after some time. Don't know if its a driver or game issue), and unstable processor overclock (this game uses DX12 and uses the whole processor pretty well).

13. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Using DDU and going back to 382.53 seems to have fixed the freezing for me. I had never made it more than an hour without a hard freeze while using any of the 384.xx drivers, but I just got through playing for 5 hours straight with my buddy in coop campaign. We made it through the entirety of the 3rd act freeze and crash free. I did get some slowdown and stutters in gameplay and cutscenes, but I'll take that over hard freezes.

Also, using 384.xx drivers with all components @ stock speeds still had freezes and crashes. Using 382.53 I have all my OC's listed in my profile back on and no freezes or crashes. It might be worth trying to "downgrade" your drivers.

14. IcemaN22

IcemaN22 Member Guru

GPU:
    Assus TUF 4090
    I also had serious issues with my 1080 TI getting nvlddmkm stopped responding both in games and idle with the newest 384.xx drivers.
    After running DDU and installed 382.05 so far after 24hours no problems.

15. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Thanks I'll check it

thanks nice, I will install them

16. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    As a side note, ManuelG from Nvidia posted in the 384.94 driver thread saying that the Gears 4 crashes in the 384.xx drivers has been fixed for Maxwell/Pascal not including 970. I'm still not updating from the 382.xx series until I have to, but good news if it is indeed fixed.

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Can anyone test if it was fixed ? I'm already with drivers 382.53 , didn't want to test . just wanted to play properly.

with 382.53 it works fine, at least by 1-2 hrs that I played

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Sorry about that last post. I've been following several threads about 384.94 and Gears 4 and it doesn't look like it has been fixed. MG's post has now disappeared and people with 980/1060/1070/1080 are reporting that it still freezes. Looks like we are on 382.53 for a while longer.

In other news, my friend and I played through the entirety of Act 4 last night and had zero issues. Another nearly flawless 5 hour session on 382.53.