HT omega , bummed out

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by brothergc, Jul 3, 2017.

1. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    I still dought the "on - off damage " at least in any meaningfull way or major impact . But hey , I have no interest in debating the statment and suspect more damage when leaving a amp on 24-7 heat kills too :) and when all is said and done , my speakers will be turned off . My last set lasted over 12 years and they were turned on and off every day so sorry if I disagree with you but my hands on personal experience tells me different . But who cares ? To each their own :)

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yeah....no reason to trust someone that's studied electronics for several years....or that has to diagnose issues with electronics on a daily basis....

Most consumer electronic devices are designed to withstand the heat they're subjected to. They aren't designed to handle power surges. Power surges result in blown resistors, blown capacitors, burnt potentiometers... In the case of speakers, those small surges can also result in blown voice coils...

Having 1 set of speakers last "over 12 years" doesn't prove anything. I had a cheap set of Creative speakers that were never turned off last 15 years. What does that prove? Absolutely nothing. It's a single event. Those Creative speakers were just as much crap after 15 years as they were the day they were bought. Fact remains, then you turn an electronic device on, the initial power surge is typically beyond the tolerances of the components being powered. When that surge happens repeatedly, components fail. Some manufacturers take that surge into account and attempt to engineer around it. klipsch, being one of the better speaker manufacturers, probably made every attempt to negate the power surge from flipping the power switch. In all likelihood, those speakers may have lasted longer if you had left them powered on. Speakers degrade over time anyway, so no real reason to worry about turning them on and off. The speakers themselves should be worn out well before anything else fails.... At least if they were engineered properly anyway....lol

3. brothergc

brothergc Guest

GPU:
    1060 6gb
    ok have a great day

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017