Unity Engine 2017.1 has been released

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Unity Technologies has announced the release of Unity Engine 2017.1. According to the team, this new version of the Unity Engine comes with impoved graphics quality and runtime performance. ...

Unity Engine 2017.1 has been released

2. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    Looks awesome!

10000 times better than Unreal engine!

3. Even though I'd like to agree, I can't... because it is not truth :) Both engines have some parts they excel in.

I've worked with both for many years. To make it strongly oversimplified, I wouldn't choose UE4 for a mobile game and I wouldn't choose Unity for a large scale AAA game targeted to current gen consoles or PC. But... mostly because I'm stuck with Unity at the moment, I really would like to agree with you :)

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The engine of choice for GPU-hogging games. Someone please kill this thing.

5. iNfAm0uS

iNfAm0uS Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6770
    For a large scale AAA game, none of them would be scalable. It's best to roll out your own engine or purchase the source code and start hacking to your own preference.

You obviously haven't been keeping track of Unity3D developments. As of version 5, the engine is becoming more oriented towards games for high-end computers and consoles.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Thaaaats... not completely true.
    The thing with Unity was that anyone could do stuff on it very easily.
    Just go in the forums and you see lots of people doing stuff the brute force way instead of the smart way.

Trust me, there are a tone of games on Unity that you are not even aware of, and from AAA companies.
    Starting work on projects as proof of concept and then just keep it there.

The thing i don't like with Unity is that Unreal has a lot of amazing stuff built in, while with Unity you'd need to get certain (sometimes really expensive) plugins.

An example i see people with Unity doing all the time is to put stuff in the Update loop in a script when they aren't needed, instead of going through them when it is needed.

You see people in Unity choosing Deferred Rendering and then putting a crap tone of lights all emitting real time shadows. Well yeah your game is going to run at 9fps!

And i'm afraid that now we are going to see ppl doing that with Unreal as well...

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Do you have any examples of AAA titles that use Unity effectively?

The somewhat high-profile Unity games I played ran like pigs. The worst example was Pillars or Eternity. That game doesn't even have much 3D in it. It's just a 2D background with a couple low-poly (VERY low-poly, we're talking PS2-era polygon count) 3D characters. It hogs the GPU like no tomorrow. It should run at 500FPS+, but instead drops down to 70FPS very often for no reason.

Another Unity game I played was Dreamfall Chapters. If there was any complexity in the current scene, you get drops to 40FPS with 100% GPU.

I avoid Unity games like the plague. It's like a "stamp of crap" when it comes to performance for me :p

8. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Dreamfall was developed on Unity 4, 3 gens back. And yeah Version 4 was... not that good for desktop to say the least. Ubisoft did something with 5 but that was more of experiemental. Wasteland 2 was good, Ghost of a Tale looks very good, Sniperclips on the Switch, Inside, that PS4 VR game ... "I expect you to die" i think? Was gonna mention Superhot... Also, a game that you keep dieing and each time you watch the scene again you see more and more and you have to uncover who the killer is... can't remember the name.

9. iNfAm0uS

iNfAm0uS Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6770
    Escape From Tarkov, P.A.M.E.L.A (game was buggy as **** when it first came out. Now it seems to be doing well), Firewatch, Planet Nomads, The Forest, Rust, Osiris: New Dawn, Project Wight (I really think this is going to be a AAA title because it is being developed by ex-battlefield developers). I've seen another two fantasy titles that are currently in progress and it looks really good. If you think it lacks in performance, then you are definitely doing something wrong or really dumb.

There is another game that received a lot of praise and that was Ori And The Blind Forest. If it has 10/10 as a rating from 20,473 reviewers on Steam, it definitely earns the title of AAA. Not many AAA titles with large teams could accomplish that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    This isn't real time GPU rendering. There were similar videos for UE. But this does not represent actual capabilities of the engine.

11. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Actually Adam was released as a real time tech demo. They'll also release the assets as tutorials i think. Somethings for the lighting or cloth were changed.

And Unreal could do that same thing ;)

12. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Question is...

...now what?

13. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X

Try to run 'the Infiltrator' demo in Unity. I know i did, the answer is no :nerd:

While not spending a single dollar on the engine you have an incredible number of tool, feature, and full engine code access. It's truly fantastic.

I started on Unity then made the jump to Unreal and never looked back.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  14. iNfAm0uS

iNfAm0uS Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6770
    Comparing something that was made by one person overnight (Unity version) against something that was created by a crew of artists (UE4) is not the wisest thing to do. The UE4 version, without a doubt, will be more polished and optimized than the Unity version.

But as I said, have a look at Project Wight. If David Goldfarb (worked on titles like Battlefield Bad Company 3, Battlefield 3 and Pay Day just to name a few) chose Unity3D to build an anticipated AAA title, then it just goes to show how much of potential this engine has (as compared to someone who possibly hasn't worked on a AAA title as yourself).

I agree that Unity out of the box doesn't offer much, but have a look at their blog on Made With Unity. They basically used a lot of stuff that was on the asset store (and possibly building their own stuff in Unity).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  15. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    @iNfAm0uS, i think XenthroX was simply talking about the tool chain and the way you build the whole thing, not the overall quality of his project vs the game you mentioned.
    In the end it's down to what tool you or your team knows.
    I was thinking of learning Unreal, but that meant that i'd stop doing what i was, tell to the one paying "yeah you know i'm teaching my self a new engine" instead of using what i know and actually does what i need. Sometimes it's just how much time you have.
    Even in a Unity convention i went to, there was a games designer using Unreal that said "I prefer Unreal for making games, he prefers Unity to makes animations and films."

16. iNfAm0uS

iNfAm0uS Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 6770
    Well, it seemed to me that he was basing Unity's performance on this "The Infiltrator" demo.

Many people have their own preferences and experience with one technology over the other. I am not defending Unity in any way. But I hate it when people base their statements on poorly researched assumptions.

I have been working on my side project ever since 5.0 came out, prototyping it in individual components (My first laptop was basically an Intel HD 3000 and UE4 didn't seem to support it). When I was able to buy a much more adequate PC, I kept contemplating about migrating my project over to UE4, but I saw how much effort the Unity team had put in. They had made huge progress in their IL2CPP implementation, GPU Instancing (which I use a lot) and they even moved their Garbage Collector implementation from the Research stage to the Development stage. Learning the Unity engine further would be a great future investment. These guys are serious about turning Unity into a AAA game engine.

There's still a lot that has to be done (especially for designers), but for now, I am quiet happy with Unity.

@XenthorX I apologize if I otherwise misunderstood what you had said.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I've used both in the past really. Unity has a really fast learning curve, but the number of tools from character rigging to in-engine cloth painting and IK-spline solving. The number of Unreal engine feature is insane and unmatched.

The fact that anyone can contribute to the engine tells a lot. There were around 100 user contributions added to last engine version update.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And it is weakness of UE too. Sometimes you need something you never used before and you spend a lot of time on google to find it.
    Then game libraries they have are quite bloated. And for that reason basic project is big.

I can not say that I prefer one particular engine over any other. But I can say that I did use UE like 3 times as much as any other. Mainly because of modding.

Most impressive thing about UE is, that in past, it had implemented almost every new technology from every manufacturer and therefore there was wide support and Engine could have been called cutting-edge.
    But at some point, something changed and UE behaves like there is no AMD.

19. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    The way i see it, is that Unreal was made from the ground up aimed at high end machines, the day it came out. Unity for less capable hardware.
    And now the two are trying to go the opposite way. Unreal is trickling down to mobile, and Unity trickling ... upwards.