The AMD Ryzen All In One Tread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by chispy, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Has anyone ever compared BGS with DR memory? My first numbers seem to be just the other way around than what's known for SR memory.

2. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Has anyone here explored the CLDO_VDDP setting?

I'm on 3200Mhz CL14 stable and my RAM is rated at 3600Mhz. I would like to take it to at least 3466Mhz but anything above 3200 is unstable.

I don't understand this whole movement of "memory holes" thing. Will altering that setting move the hole to something less than 3333Mhz and make 3333mhz and above possible?

I have an MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon and G.Skill DDR4 Trident Z 3600Mhz PC4-28800 CL17 (17-18-18-38).

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I have very similar RAM and motherboard, and can do 3333.

The trick is on this board to set the XMP setting, then the memory tryit! setting. From there you adjust the voltages and timings to your choice.

By doing so, and with some minor tweaking on the Advanced timings page, I get this:
    [​IMG]

That is with adjusting the tRFC down a little, as well as the tRC. Nothing too much lower than auto though! I also set tRDRDSCL and tWRWRSCL both to 5 from the auto setting of 7. I think going lower would be pushing my luck, I know I wouldn't do 2 at 3200 like in the blog article.

Those read/write scores aren't too bad for 3333! I could probably get higher, but it's not worth the extra effort considering any further gains will likely be minimal.

SOC voltage is 1.08 V, and DRAM voltage 1.370 V. I haven't tried reducing these, but I'm happy with them at that.

I hope that helps a little!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
  4. buddybd

buddybd Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Thanks for the tips, but I think my 3200 at CL14 is just a smudge faster than 3333 at CL16. I tried 3333 at CL14 but it failed the memtest quite fast.

Yours should be about 4.8ns and I should be 4.375ns.

I don't use the XMP profiles at all and use the Try It 3200CL14 with DRAM Voltage at 1.45v and SOC at 1.15. I can probably lower the DRAM but Robert Hallock from AMD recommended up to 1.5, so it should be safe.

There's also a 1.81 Beta BIOS out for the board but not sure what it includes. Any chance you tried it yet?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No , that's not what it means. Single Rank refers to the memory modules and where the chips are mounted , example Single rank = single sided memory modules , meaning the stick of memory has ram chips on one side only. While Dual Rank = dual sided memory modules , meaning the stick of memory has ram chips on both sides :) . I hope that helps you understand.

Kind Regards: Chispy

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I haven't tried the beta bios as I was assuming the next official one will be out shortly. I think it may include AGESA 1.0.0.6a. Next round though I might give it a try, especially if it is for a new AGESA revision.

Whilst they say that higher voltages is safe there's no telling what that would do over a couple of years, especially if you are a heavy computer user or 24/7 system. You shouldn't need anywhere near that voltage anyway. For me, I know it's the subtimings that limit getting my speed score higher, however considering the bioses are still maturing there's little point in spending the whole weekend testing etc when there's a new bios around the corner that could throw all that out. I didn't really try too hard for the 3333 as above, and I am glad I didn't!

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Since the article did not touch on what I am currently trying to find out, experimenting with interleave settings. Will list out what was found to be most beneficial through synthetic benchmarks. So far just playing with channel interleaving. Relating to the article, GDM disabled and BGS left on Auto for now.

Interleaving Size: 512k gives the best all around performance
    Channel Interleave Hash: enabled - improved the read, write, copy, and latency just a little bit more.

So many more settings to play with. Everything related to ECC ram are not being touched yet...all left on auto till it is found out if disabled for whatever weird reason works better.

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for posting your findings and results.

Nice find Clouseau , thank you for posting your newl finding , tweaking and the report.

9. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It took me many of hours playing with all the memory settings on my motherboard Asus CH VI Hero and the latest and official Bios 1403 based on Agesa 1.0.0.6.2 code today but finally it is 100% stable 24/7 at this memory clocks after many trial and errors. Tested 1 hour of memtest with zero errors , ran superPi 32m five times back to back , Aida x64 memory benchmark and stress testing pass. Played all my games for a few hours also and was completely stable 100%. I'm done tweaking my memory for now , i'm more than happy with the results

DDR4-3472Mhz ( 1736 ) , gear down mode ( GDM ) off , bank group swap ( BGS ) off. 1.45v Dram voltage , 1.45v Dram boot voltage , SOC 1.15v , Timings 14-14-14-28 1T. Rest of the timings manually tweaked one by one below.

[​IMG]

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It was there in the older Beta bios of Agesa microcode 1.0.0.6 , indeed there was the option to turn it off or on. But on the latest official Bios directly from Asus download , Bios 1403 it is based on an updated Agesa Microcode 1.0.0.6.2 wish does not have that option anymore as it is already turned off and there is no way to turn it on ( That i know off ).

So if using latest Stable Official Bios 1403 for Asus CH VI Hero it wont be there , you will not find that option anymore. See the screenshot below Bank Group is Off by default on this Bios 1403. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards: Chispy

[​IMG]

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    BGS settings are found in the CBS section. There is also a BGS Alt setting as well. Both may have a purpose but inflect a decent penalty. Like Chispy stated, they are off by default so leaving them on auto is all well and good.

Advanced>AMD CBS>UMC Common Options>DRAM Memory Mapping

EDIT: All of the options here if changed from Auto result in a penalty regarding the memory subsystem unless they are providing support for the reason they are there (not sure when they would be beneficial).

All the settings am currently playing with are found here in the CBS section.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you for the findings and report Clouseau. Latest Bios Official 1403 for Asus CH VI hero it is the best Bios so far i believe. In my testing it is 100% stable rock solid and i was able to squeezed more performance out of my set up.

13. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    If it's CPU voltage you are asking for, then 1.425v is max for daily use. Above that and you risk the long term life of your CPU. Personally I'm using 1.4v (with LLC 1) for 4025 MHz. Could most likely go a bit lower, but haven't bothered since it's rock stable as is.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Ouch that sucks! Too bad.

And if postal service in Canada is anything like Finland they are extremely reluctant to accept responsibility for lost deliveries.

As if them being responsible for the arrival of the stuff they deliver is somehow beyond human comprehension...

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Concerning the cold boot bug, Raja made this comment:

This speaks volumes even to why there was ram compatibility issues. Yes there will always be compatibility issues but working with a third party, does not matter who it is; adding a third party to the mix just makes refinements that much more difficult to achieve. Hats off to pulling off what has been accomplished so far.

Almost finished tweaking the CBS section. Thought I had it all nailed down and then proceeded to tighten a few ram timings. The tighter timings nullified some of the settings in the CBS section that had been tweaked; started over. Turns out the tighter timings accomplished more than the previous CBS tweaks. Last set of settings moving back to Auto will be finished tonight. The ram timings that had the impact: TrdrdScl_SM and TwrwrScl_SM.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD EPYC (and Threadripper) is a major advance over Intel Skylake SP (and Skylake-X)
    At these higher core counts, AMD's MCM approach with Infinity Fabric has allowed AMD's EPYC to BOTH outperform Skylake SP and be manufactured at a much lower cost.

And here is EPYCs only “supposed” Achilles heal – Latency (an excuse used by Barclay's Blayne Curtis to lie about Epyc)

From the Anandtech testing of Epyc 7601 ($4200) and Intel 8176 ($8700):
    http://www.anandtech.com/sh...
    blk size 8176 latency (ns) 7601 latency (ns) delta (ns)
    0.5KB 4 5 1
    1KB 9 10 1
    2KB 17 11 -6
    4KB 20 11 -9
    8KB 23 33 10
    16KB 26 62 36
    32KB 40 102 62
    64KB 75 107 32

AMD claims 250GB/s Memory BW. From the Anandtech testing of Epyc 7601 ($4200) and Intel 8176 ($8700), 7601 w/ 2400MHz RAM showed 207GB/s, so 2666MHz RAM would achieve 230GB/s.The one good BW out of three test methods for 8176 was 165GB/s w/ 2666MHz RAM.

If using all of EPYC 7601’s 230GB/s Memory BW (w/2666MHz RAM):
    64KB transfer takes 278ns + 107ns = 385ns
    32KB transfer takes 139ns + 102ns = 241ns
    16KB transfer takes 70ns + 62ns = 132ns
    8KB transfer takes 35ns + 33ns = 68ns
    4KB transfer takes 17.5ns + 11ns = 28.5ns

If using all of 8176 165GB/s Memory BW (w/2666MHz RAM):
    64KB transfer takes 388ns + 75ns = 463ns
    32KB transfer takes 189ns + 40ns = 229ns
    16KB transfer takes 90ns + 26ns = 116ns
    8KB transfer takes 45ns + 23ns = 67ns
    4KB transfer takes 22.5ns + 20ns = 42.5ns

64KB transfer Epyc 20% faster
    32KB transfer Epyc 5.2% slower
    16KB transfer Epyc 13.7% slower
    8KB transfer Epyc 1.4% slower
    4KB transfer Epyc 49% faster

Latency Shmatency, no big deal.

For large data and 64KB block sizes, Epyc wins
    For small data and 4KB and 2KB block sizes. Epyc wins
    For 1KB and 0.5KB (and 8KB) block sizes it is essentially a tie.
    WARNING:
    Iun-able-tel will try to manipulate benchmarks to use 16KB block sizes.

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    What's the cold boot bug? Asking because randomly my system fails first attempt of cold boot.

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Never experienced it on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro. Some experience it every third time but for me it literally is every fifth cold boot it automatically enters safe mode. All the manual settings are still there.

Hate it because the CBS section is wiped to defaults every time when safe mode is entered because of boot failure. AMD for some reason purposely created the CBS section that way. It's an actual feature. Guess it is beneficial in that some of those settings are duplicates from other sections in the bios. While experimenting, before making the setting "permanent," it can automatically disappear upon boot failure. Unfortunately some of the settings are unique to the section.

19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    I'd loosen your RAM timings and/or increase RAM voltage. If a PC wont POST, then marginal RAM timings/voltage could well be the issue.

20. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.