PlayStation 4 games will be playable on PC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I tried it with Onlive and it was better than i was expecting, I did have very low expectations though.

I still have my old PS3, so would prefer to use that anyway since video/audio/controls are all much superior.

Was this service not born due the fact PS3 backwards compatibility wasnt realistic on the PS4, and has now "evolved" into a paid service.

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I might try the trial, I just need to remember to cancel before the 7 days.

Using that website on my phone is rather frustrating, click on Shadow Fall and it's age restricted, go to put in my date of birth and they expect me to scroll back 440 months lol.

4. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    the whole stream games to any system/console in my opinion is a bad joke and a waste of resources

5. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Snap, also PS3 owner, recently finished RDR and working on The Last of Us
    I quite like the PS3, image quality is absolutely awful though, but hey i grew up with an Amstrad CPC lol

Might try that trial.

6. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Sony bought Gaikai, who were an OnLive competitor. That's how they got into the business. I think they bought them because they knew full well they could never develop that sort of tech in house, but Microsoft certainly could. I think they were being pre-emptive to make sure they didn't get left behind. Once they got it, they had to do something with it.

It feels like PS Now has been one long experiment t to see if streaming could eventually replace consoles. All evidence seems to prove streaming will not catch on with the latency issues that are inherent in the technology. The best anyone has to say about it is, "it's not as bad as I thought it would be". With consoles at $300, sacrificing playability to save a little on the box doesn't make sense.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, I don't know a single person who uses a streaming gaming service. There must be some obviously, just not round my way.

lmimmfn, same reason im still holding onto my PS3, I'm one of the very few who hasn't really played MGS4 and nothing heard about any "HD remaster" so likely going to give in soon, plus the actual game only cost £2 so why stream.

It also gets used as Netflix/Amazon box as I don't have a SmartTV yet.

8. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    There were stories out of folks at OnLive that they never had any business. I think one of them said they never had more than 2000 users online at the same time. The owner had planned to spin that up, build some hype, then sell it while it was still in the proof of concept phase, but no one bit. They weren't making any money, so they had to fold up shop.

On another gaming board I'm on, we had a big thread with about 50 members chime in. About 15 of us tried PSNow, a couple folks said they had tried OnLive in the past, and one guy gave GeForce Now a shot. No one had an experience that was responsive enough to replace a console or PC.

9. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    So let me get this straight, apart from the first month, I need to fork over a 100$ for a 12 month subscription ? Like really, no monthly subscription for some odd game I might want to try ? Plus I don't suppose there is any possibility to rebind the keys or even a k+m support, so I have to have their controller.

10. Having to buy a console to play (stream) said games on PC completely defeats the whole purpose of this in the first place. What a stupid idea.

At least with (some) xbox games you can purchase them via windows store without the need to buy an actual xbox. I was excited to see the headline that PS4 games will be available on PC - but this? no ****ing way.

I get Sony wants us to buy their hardware - but a lot of die hard PC gamers will not buy any consoles no matter what - if you want to have your own exclusive website or app where you charge console game prices for the pc version, thats fine, so be it - we'd pay for those exclusives to be played on our own hardware - but still having to buy a Ps4 is just ridiculous imo. At least your games would be reaching a larger market and selling more units.

But I think this is more so around the fact that streaming is the easy route and Sony doesn't want to have to try and optimize their titles for PC and the many thousands of configurations rather than using their already optimized console.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wait, you have to purchase a console to be able to play these games?

That completely defeats the only purpose i could ever imagine this system would exist....

12. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I don't think you need PS4 console?...

[​IMG]

13. Leiska

Leiska Guest

GPU:
    HD 7950
    No MGS4 in the library? What a joke. I would subscribe for that game.

Also, does it really have to be a Dualshock? Can't I just use an Xbox controller?

14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    I'd like to give you a person that did have a good enough experience then. I had Geforce now, for the free trial they had around the shield launch, if I remember correctly. I recall playing one of the Batmans, Tomb Raider, and Orcs must die. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, didn't have any complaints as to quality or FPS, found it to be very easy to use with essentially no setup or special care required, and don't feel, given a blind test, I could've seen the difference in latency between a local console and the streaming experience.

There's a lot of talk as to the latency that goes around, but I find it to be mostly unfounded, at least in many places in the US. Ping to the Nvidia servers (according to their application, for me) is around 15ms. 15ms is the response time difference between a really good mouse and a decent mouse and I don't see many people basing their mouse choices on real world response times.

The truth is, Nvidia has done a lot of work to minimize the latencies where possible, and hide them where it's not. I have a strong belief that, given a good connection, and given relative proximity to the Nvidia servers, a person would be unable to determine reliably if they were local or streaming based on latency alone.

That said, geographic factors could influence this for some people, its just important to mention that it can be a good experience and shouldn't be written off.

As to PS Now, I found the library to be embarrassingly anemic. It has not a single game I want to play.

You can, but you obviously lose the touchpad and other dual shock-specific features, which could make some games unplayable, in theory.

No, you don't. I don't own a PS4, and did the trial.

Hardly stupid, console exclusives aren't going away anytime soon, so some method of playing them is better than none. If their library weren't subpar, I'd much rather the low monthly entry fee for a few games than having to buy an entire PS4. Just because you don't want it doesn't mean it's stupid.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Good, because that would be stupid of sony lol