Really mysterious downloading issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by S_IV, Jul 9, 2017.

1. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I'm desperate guys. My downloads, especially more than 300mb, just stop randomly. Edge stops for a few minutes or more, then continues and then stops again; Chrome just stops. No error, nothing. Sometimes they download flawlessly. But when I use microsoft download manager, there is no problem. Also I can stream on youtube, steam, origin, blizzard app, uplay all work without a problem. It's just browsers that can't finish downloading.

I've had this problem for 2-3 months, I though it was my ISP but actually my internet is OK. Today I decided to troubleshoot and try to download GeForce driver, sometimes it finishes, sometimes not. I'm going mad really

Windows 10 Pro, clean installed yesterday, no bloatware nothing, up-to-date. Realtek Ethernet driver, intel chipset drivers all up-to-date. I also tried disabling firewall and defender, still no success. 25mbps internet speed. Any help appricated. I'm losing it

2. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So any other devices on the network can download stuff just fine?

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Its still can be connection issue.

Try pinging google.com for a minute and see how many packets got drop.
    Look for a big gap where packets being dropped.

4. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Thanks for the replies guys. Same issue on my laptop too. Im at work now, I will try pinging as soon as Im home

5. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti

It sounds like a connection issue. The MS downloader success may be coincidental or maybe it deals with connection loss better than the other browsers.

Run a traceroute program, it will essentially "ping" a server of your choosing over and over and you can see if there are any latency spikes or packet loss. Even better take a download URL that is giving you trouble and run a tracert on that. Your problem should reveal itself.

6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    As guys above suggested, start pinging something stable

for example - go to cmd and type something like

ping -t google.com

It will start pinging non-stop, and try downloading files.

If you will see large chunks where connection says "timed out" or something similar ( sorry can't recall the exact phrasing ) that means there is no signal at that interval.

Usually everyone has now and then tiny cuts, but big one 5-10 secs, means issues.

After that, check your cables that lead to PC / laptop, if you use purely WiFi try using a cable.

If that doesnt help, check your router. I assume the issues can be there, try to upgrade the firmware and reset settings to factory. Set up everything again. Make sure WiFi uses passwords.

Just some ideas.

7. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    So I checked it, when I ping google, response times are between 52-67ms. At the same time I tried to download GeForce driver and there were a lot of 160-170ms, especially just before the download stops.

So is it the router, or my perfect ISP (They still recommend me to restart the pc and clean the temp folder doh)

Both cable and Wi-Fi connection tried, same problem. I reset the modem that has up-to-date firmware btw, several times, nope.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    That doesnt tell anything. MS stands for how long in miliseconds it takes for signal from your PC to get to for example - google.com servers. 52-67 is your standard ping, which is alright, during download it increases to 160-170ms due to data download, thats normal.

What you need to look for is " connection time out ". Keep pinging for some hours, you need to track if there are time out's.

ISP always blames the customer, never themselves. So that's normal.

Once again try the following methodic -
    Restart Router --> restart pc --> during fresh pc boot run those commands via Cmd (ideally as admin)
    --> ipconfig /flushdns
    --> ipconfig /release
    --> ipconfig /renew
    after that run and keep pinging --> ping -t google.com
    Then try what you did before, as i understand cut off's start to happen during download.

Ping can jump / drop, that is due to downloading, however you need to pay attention to "connection timed out"

9. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So there no dropped packets during ping? I don't know man, just keep pinging in background and whenever download drops, check if ping also timeouts or drops.
    If ping also drops, it means whole connection went down. If only download dropped and ping still going, it means specific IP packets (download file) being dropped.

Whats your network setup? Modem -> Router -> PC?

10. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Hmm got it, I'm trying again and will update the thread. The setup is modem-router-pc, both Ethernet cable and Wi-Fi. Thanks guys btw, at least I have hope now

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Disk issue?

Check Event Viewer

12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Have you got a routing issue on your lan? Such as an ip conflict, could also be upnp or a NAT issue.

Whatever the case, sounds like your router playing funny buggers.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I tried the same test. It's 13ms to google.com, and it stays at 13ms during GeForce driver download. Courtesy of my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter

Bufferbloat:
    https://www.dslreports.com/faq/17883

In your case it's not pretty, but whether your high bufferbloat has something to do with your problem, I dunno.
    But if there are lots of dropped packages that could be the cause of aborted downloads.

ping -t google.com -t > ping.txt

check "ping.txt" after few hours. Oh and be sure to keep downloading something/anything during ping run.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  14. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Ok guys, there it is, around 30mins pinging GeForce.com and 3 "Request timed out" errors.

Event viewer's shown nothing regarding the internet, network or browser

https://youtu.be/9cxsrmABWWs

Here is a video if it helps. Especially look at "1.10". Interestingly, Edge "usually" resumes if I click pause and resume again after the download stops, but Chrome just stops. Microsoft Down.manager, steam, origin etc can download just fine.

Should I try "ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew" anyway? I have never done troubleshooting about the internet, network or modems. Really annoying

EDIT: Still pinging, and "request timed out" errors keep coming here and there, yay!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I doubt any of that would help you. You can try reseting your adapter within windows, but that's a long shot also. Then again there are no obvious fixes, so you might try...

230ms seems really high.

216.228.121.95 is supposedly located in Santa Clara, USA.

I am pretty sure that the issue is casued by droped packets, but whats causing them to drop. ****t1 router getting hammered would do that.

In any case: Keep "ping -t" running during downloads, so you can check for packet drops if/when download gets aborted.

16. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    restart router, see if problem occurs.

You can isolate router by connecting your PC directly to modem and check if problem persists. If you still losing packets, it's bad modem, infrastructure outside or ISP.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    most definitely this.
    (problematic) routers should be restarted like daily

18. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Thanks so much guys, really great troubleshooting. I connected the pc to modem directly, restarted the modem and even reset it again, restarted the pc, yet still random time outs and interrupted downloads with browsers. The modem was given by my ISP two years ago, I think that explains it. I will contact them anyway to check it with another modem just in case, but I guess it's time to buy a real modem. Or at least I know it's not the PC or OS or a driver issue.

19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Happy to hear you narrowed it down.