More Vega Frontier Edition Performance Numbers Surface

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Not bad for a not gaming GPU. :)

3. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I see it now people are going to be flocking saying oh its not better then the 1080 ti. The fact is it doesnt matter if its priced to compete. Im waiting to see the rx sales price and benchmarks, may be my next gpu.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So basically wins some, loses some.

Against GTX 1070 that is

:hatty:

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The arguement "is not a gaming gpu' is not one.

If they provide gaming mode, then it's meant for gaming.

Plus no to mention that NV Quadro cards with Quadro drivers still perform the same as the same geforce equivalent.

Example, Quadro P6000 is as fast as titan xP

They kinda screwed themselves marketing gaming in it, they should have taken that out.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Trolls have to be trolls.

The card has no drivers, just because it says gaming it doesn't mean it will work. Let's wait for the proper consumer products and reviews.

7. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's not a great workstation card either. Gets consistently beat by a $850 P5000.

It's a GPU without a working driver. Which is sad as they have been showing off Vega for over half a year. (Makes me think those weren't Vega's imall taped up)

8. riot83

riot83 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    Well it's stupid for AMD to show benches in computational stuff against the Titan Xp and not Quadro cards and then expect not to compare those to cards in gaming also.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    AMD already said that the gaming drivers are just that, meant for gaming. Beyond3d confirmed this as well, and PCWORLD was told by AMD that they can benchmark in private, with AMD monitoring the tests, the card's gaming performance against the 1080.

Stop making excuses.

10. Some time ago I've posted my prediction that Vega will be between GTX1070 and GTX1080 and had many replies how much I'm wrong.
    Well, wou were partially right since it can't even keep up after GTX1070 wile taking 2x more power...

11. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The gaming mode is only here for that gaming develloppers can test their games without moving to another plateform ..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  12. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    As a RX480 user , il say this , i kinda knew all this would hapend when they stoped to hype VEGA , was 90% shure it will be a fail product , i really hope AMD next time would stop developing stupid product's VEGA was nothing but a money sink , they literaly burned money , why they had to bother with all the HBM2 still make's me mad, in stead they should have just focused to make a bigger refined polaris chip to beat @ least the 1080 but cheaper , but no they got stuborn with all the HBM2 crap , while NVIDIA milks the market whil normal gddr5 , i even lost all hope for NAVI to , i dout GPU division from AMD can do anything @ this point.
    We will for shure have the same problem but with gpus that happend with cpu's , nvidia will lead for some year's to come while AMD will try to keep it's head above the wather .

13. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Well if this card's game equivalent aka RX VEGA will be at the price point of gtx 1080 or near it will be a win for AMD. But if it is near 1080Ti's price point they are as good as doomed and closed. Nvidia will dominate more aggressively than before. The gap will be probably larger than last generation battle 980ti vs furyx.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I said two things back in August of last year I believe. One was, "It is looking like Vega does not work." The other was, "AMD needs to make a larger Polaris now." I was shunned (mostly because I have a Nvidia card in my sig) for these statements.

How dumb do those statements look now?

15. Yeah right...
    You really think this card is anyway different than regular Vega which will appear soon? It's the same card and I believe gaming mode is just switch to regular Vega driver which will be used in customer version.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Then call it game development mode and don't put this on your website:

https://pro.radeon.com/en-us/product/radeon-vega-frontier-edition/

Or better yet, don't release a card with no clear target for what it should be used for.

17. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Seems like the decision for a HBM2 only memory controller has cemented Vega's price tag.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Touche :banana:

19. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    It's pretty clear why they kept delaying it, and delaying it more.
    Not HBM2...

... but the lackluster performance.

I am an ATI (well, AMD) fan, have used all their generations since X850 Pro, all the way through X1950 later a big jump to R4870, then 6950, then 7970GE ... but I stopped after.

Because they simply lost, and continue losing to this day.
    Sad, but true.

I was really hoping for a comeback with Vega, but seems that is not going to happen. Competitive price or not, it is a slower and more inefficient GPU than nVidia's offerings from last year.

20. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Nvidia has had GPUs with HBM2 for longer than AMD has. HBM and HMC are the future. No one serious is using anything but that in their highest end chips anymore. Fujitsu was first with HMC on the PrimeHPC FX100s SPARC XIfx, Intel has Knights Landing with HMC, Nvidia P100 and V100.

DIMM based DDR and DDR3 derived GDDR SGRAM are all old school. Fine for gaming but not for serious computing. AMD is being smart by having one big chip that goes into a bunch of things and uses HBM, particularly with the foresight to give it 49bit VA and 48bit PA for large HSA HPC installations as well as their HMCC caching technique.

People dont understand this GPUs architecture or appeal. It offers similar performance to GP100 in specific workloads, when used in MI25, for a fraction of the cost.

The HBCC for the HBM2 is a very sophisticated technology that can be used in conjunction with Infinity Fabric and HSA to work on massive datasets in memory.

It has a built in NVMe controller to directly talk to SSDs, which allows for holding even more massive datasets close to the GPU and having it be directly addressable.

This particular GPU kind of has its own niche. I am not just talking about the FE card. I mean the big Vega chip in general. The BIGGEST problem i can see with it is no ECC on the cache and registers. That means some workloads are off limits to it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017