Guide: AMD Ryzen 7 AGESA 1006 performance and DDR4 memory check June 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2017.

1. nasma

nasma Guest

GPU:
    rx580/ hd6950
    Hi,
    although i followed Guru3d for years, this is my first post.
    Hilbert there must be something wrong with your FlareX sticks. I have them on a Asus ch6 and worked fine (3200/ CL14) even with older bioses. I still have 1201 on my system since asus hasnt provided an official bios on her site with the new microcode.

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah as I stated, I think one of the sticks might be broken. Good to hear they do work on your end. Oh and welcome ! :)

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    There is an improvement overall. Everything is still board dependent form the appearances of this article. Both the ASUS Prime X370-PRO and the C6H have been able to run the GSkill F4-3200C14D-16GTZ kits at their rated speed and timings for a long while. The issue are speeds above 3200 for using DOCP. There is one big hiccup still and that is DOCP does not set timings past Tras. One should not have to use programs like Thaiphoon Burner to find out what the extended timings are and setting them manually afterwards. Currently running F4-3600C16D-16GTZ @ 3466 15-15-15-15-35 along with dealing with a cold boot issue. The only issue with 2T running as set is that the Geardown setting needs to be disabled or it is overridden to 1T for any speeds above 2666. GSkill kits are rated for 2T. The bios should have addressed this DOCP event by now. AMD is all over the map with launch after launch. They need to focus on getting the bios basics covered.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ironic, how the G.Skill Flare X (marketed as being AMD compatible) was on the "failed" list.

I'm using G.Skill myself and my motherboard still has yet to get this update, but I'm feeling pretty good I'll reach the full speed of it whenever I do get the update. The problem is I don't have access to the T2 command rate, which my RAM is set to use. If I can bump it to 3200MHz, I'm happy.

5. Forebode

Forebode Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4G 1530/8k
    I swear I read on other forums that >3200 xmp ram would work but you had to manually enter the timings. Specifically with the 3600 g.skill cl14 variety.

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    The new AGESA update will give access to that setting and to a setting that will be labeled exactly like or close to Geardown. That needs to be disabled or CR will run at 1T.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/05/25/community-update-4-lets-talk-dram

7. superzeus

superzeus Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Nice review, well for my like i will like to see how is the petformance of the Ryzen 1800x with the new agesa.

8. arakisb

arakisb Guest

GPU:
    vega
    thanks so much for this awesome review update and guide

it is hugely informative

9. Amx85

Amx85 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R7-260X2GD5/OC
    Great guide! Thanks Hilbert, now the only diference At 1080p is just clock relates lol in most of cases Intel processors are up when clocks is 4.10GHz or least

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Nice update/review on Ryzen performance and memory post release. --- I was under the impression that on most motherboards G Skill was one of the "safest" RAM brands for higher speed DIMMs with Ryzen? Is this just a case of the ASUS Crosshair being more finicky then some of the other high end X370 motherboards?

11. TerafloppinDatP

TerafloppinDatP Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Awesome stuff! Single most helpful resource on Ryzen RAM settings and compatibility yet.

Question about tRC. Best I can do with my Corsair LPX 3200 is 2666 with timings 14-14-14-32 (can't set tRC). When I open CPU-Z or HWINFO it shows 14-14-14-56-348! Is that normal to have a tRC as high as 348? I don't seem to be able to set tRC, and additionally when I set the tRAS at 34 it seems to automatically adjust to 56. I'm getting good benchmark scores on my Ryzen 1600 at 3.8 GHz so I'm not too worried about it, just curious because that tRC number is sooooo much higher than the 14-14-14-34-48 you posted on page 1. I can post a pic to verify.

Thanks for the expertise!

12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Can only speak about my experiences. The Crosshair has been a great board so far but would answer that question as yes. There are a fair amount of complaints on the ROG forum about it. Bios 1401 was a watershed event. It was the first bios able boot into windows @ 3600. Needed to exit without trying to run anything. If tried to run a program the system would immediately lockup. When attempted this on the Prime X370-Pro it corrupted the bios so badly, think the nvram was affected. The Prime board is currently on RMA. Should be noted that I also refuse to use DOCP. It does not set any timings past Tras correctly. Having to manually enter the others, why bother with it. Think the board is just finicky about what is connected to it. The psu was just released this year and have both cpu board power connectors hooked to the psu (the 8 & extra 4 pin). Almost thought I had bricked this board too. Turned out the bios flash back button option did not like any of the USB 3.0 sticks had lying around. It only liked the USB 2.0 sticks am still holding onto.

13. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I honestly am not too much into overclocking. I just wanted a Ryzen system that would work out of the box.
    So I got an ASUS Prime B350 Plus and some Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C14.

Now, even with the AGESA 1.0.0.6 update, I can't get my PC to even post at 3200 MHz.
    I just checked Amazon and it now says my memory is "for Intel series" (didn't say that when I purchased it).

Am I really an idiot who somehow bought memory that won't do 3200 on Ryzen?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I think i feel bad for my i5 7600k, in early reviews the gap was more significant at 1080p, not it's down to almost zero and in multi threaded games it demolishes i5/i7, more and whats most important it has alot of headroom while i5/i7 is often maxed out in many games...

Well i will stick to that i5 for 2 years or so and jump the six/octa core wagon for sure :)

15. BRGEng

BRGEng Guest

GPU:
    RX Vega64 8GB
    You might be on the limit of stability with SoC/CPU NB voltages. I had this too when I was running 0.925v SoC and 3066MHz memory speed. There were no memory errors, but it just acted weird, hitched and paused a bit during SSD disk usage like yours.

I bumped up my SoC voltage to 1.000v and it went away. Found that interesting. Sounds like you need to do some manual fine tuning with voltages to eke a bit more stability out of it.

If memory is at 3200MHz, try around 1.2v SoC. Mine isn't stable unless it's at 1.250v SoC, which is a bit high, so I've settled at 3066 at 1.0v SoC and 14-15-15-34-1T on my Corsair CMU16GX4M2C3200C16s (2x8GB, single rank, Hynix or v. 5.39) @ 1.424v. It's pretty much the same as your LPX kit, just with LEDs.

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

That would be interesting for me, although most likely I would come across a similar situation to the 3200 RAM speed I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm hoping there are further improvements to come.

17. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    2.176V Vcore @3.2 ghz? :3eyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  18. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 in SLI
    My 3200 flare memory worked in my other Ryzen build on the MSI motherboard with 1.0.0.4a update once X-AMP profile was chosen. In my rig Profile 2 correctly loaded the 3200 profile.

19. Footman36

Footman36 Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 in SLI
    I'll retest, but it does this even when the system is overclocked with a 1.2v SOC, so I don't think it's that. In any event the system rund smoothly when I am in the high power windows setting, so I keep it here..... Bit of a strange issue to be sure and one that I have not been able to trouble shoot yet.... :)

20. msroadkill612

msroadkill612 Active Member

GPU:
    igp
    I know the x models are for sissys, but lifes too short for OC for many, even perhaps for some recent ryzen OCers here :).

I note the 1600x is only usd $30 more officially. It doesnt have to save u much time to be worth that premium.

Its probably better binned and has a higher native clock.

A heretical thought is, yeah, the auto OC thing only yields a trifling 100ms result, and only on a few coeres I think, but what if that matured into something quite powerful over time via updates?