ASUS Launches XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    XG-C100C uses next-generation 10GBase-T (10G) networking technology to deliver speeds of up to 10Gbps –10X faster than standard gigabit Ethernet. It enables ultra-fast 10Gbps network access ...

ASUS Launches XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Any idea on price ?

i see one on Amazon for $99.

3. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    It's about time that we see a move in network speed. I just hope that the compatible router prices can come down for a change.

4. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    I agree, at the moment network switches for 10GB is just stupidly high, the adapter becoming affordable but kinda useless if routers/switches don't come down in price.

5. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    I found it for $99.00 u.s. also at superbiiz.

Excuse my ignorance on net speeds etc., but my internet speed is 150mbps. Would using this card in my pc help with say gaming and watching movies? Or do I need a higher bandwidth input to see any difference using this card?

6. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    There would be no difference. This is going to be more for local networking and file transfers. Limited use-cases for 10gbe right now, for a home, anyway.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Lots of people want it, but I don't see how would it be utilized among general consumers.

8. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    Its basically a Server thing still.

About the only thing that would benefit a consumer is if they have a very busy NAS

9. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    $99 for 10G is way too cheap, unless I'm out of the times.

10. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Speed will be the same, but latency gets noticeably worse. If you play games where ping time is important, stick with a gigabit adapter (or better yet, a 100 mbit one).

There are two REALLY big things to note about 10 gig.
    1.) That's an x8 slot on the adapter, and you need to plug it into a slot capable of actually serving out PCIe in Gen 3 x8 mode. That means on Z170/Z270 you MUST put it in the second graphics card slot, and on X99/X299 you need to make sure the slot you put it in runs in x8 or x16 mode with the CPU you have slotted.
    2.) There's literally no single disk or SSD that can fully take advantage of 10GbE. That's why most motherboard manufacturers are settling for the cheaper 5GbE adapters; the fastest NVMe drives out there can't saturate 5GbE. You would need x99 or x299 boards with Samsung 960 Pro drives in RAID0 on both ends of the transfer before you needed 10GbE on consumer level gear.

11. maize1951

maize1951 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    Something like this would be great for home entertainment systems like a audio network music player or even Media Center PC's that can also stream video.

12. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    neah, look at it. Also i don't why so many people want it, maybe for internal networks.

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    First of all i envy you 150 mbit :p and no it won't do anything for you since you are most likely in the classic 1000 mbit ethernet if you are in 100 mbit mode make sure tha you change it to 1000 or get the right cables /equipment to do so

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Remember, you don't really need a switch to form a network !

2 cards in 2 PC's... one cable between them. SHAZAAAM, 1000 megabytes/second speed between them (assuming everything else works properly)

And this happens to be exactly my setup, 2 PC's with harddisks and SSD's in them, and two of these babies would allow me to access ANY data from one or the other computer just like it's local drive.

Bring it ASUS, my wallet is ready \o/ ... x2

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    maybe when i make my next pc these will be integrated in to mobo, and maybe those speeds might be possible without pay threw the ass to get it.

16. CDman

CDman Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 G1
    Complete nonsense. I have 10Gbit network already working for 2 years. 10Gbe speed means transfer speed 1000MB/s. Legacy single SATA SSDs reach 550 MB/s, new NVM PCI SSDs like Samsung get 2000+ MB/s in NON RAID. Old spinning HDDs in RAID 0/5 get 500+ MB/s.

All who wish to jump on 10Gbe bandwagon for home/power use are asking for at least 5Gbe NICs and 8-port 10/5Gbe switches that are silent and not power hungry under 400 EUR/USD. It was doable with aftermarket sPF+ NICs from ebay + old big noisy-power hungry 10GB switches.

Now with Aquantia chips bundled with Motherboards and NICs like this one from ASUS /using legacy RJ45 instead SPF+/, maybe the time has come to actually enjoy 10GBe home network for fast NAS backup and Steam library offloading/home sharing.

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Imagine a small-business level router with an octacore EPYC, 16GB ECC RAM, and eight of these babies on it on full speed, on a 10G switch

18. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    you will only need pcie gen 2.0 x4 so you way out if you think you need x8 gen3

from wik
    10 Gigabit Ethernet (10GBASE-X) = 10 Gbit/s 1.25 GB/s
    PCI Express 2.0 (×4 link) = 20 Gbit/s 2 GB/s
    PCI Express 3.0 (×4 link) = 32 Gbit/s 3.938 GB/s

so one good nvme drive would take it up
    Samsung 960 PRO M.2-2280 512GB
    3,500 MB/s and 2,100 MB/s

19. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    I like how people look at buffered/sequential read/write speeds and conclude that that's the speed they are getting most of the time :D

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  20. krusher_r

krusher_r Member

This is an older article, but I remembered something in the past from Intel's whitepaper where they claim the latency difference is microseconds, not even a millisecond per page 3:
    https://www.intel.com/content/dam/w...apers/10-gigabit-ethernet-10gbase-t-paper.pdf

"Depending on packet size, latency for 1000BASE-T ranges from below 1 μs to over 12 μs. 10GBASE-T ranges from just over 2 μs to less than 4 μs--a much tighter latency range." etc...

Has anyone that picked up one of these cards seen a detrimental effect while gaming?