New Logitech G903 and Logitech G703 mice are wireless and have wireless charging system

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I play with a wired - mainly because the battery switching would drive me insane, but I play on a 17x15 inch mouse pad. In CS:GO, I play at 600DPI .75 sensitivity, a full left to right mousepad movement with my hand is half a turn in the game. So to do 90 degree snaps, I'm literally sliding my hand 17 inches across the desk. The mouse cord gets in the way. Sometimes because it gets caught behind my desk on some other wire (I have 3 monitors and a 5.1 surround system running behind my desk) other times it gets caught on the edges of the mouse pad itself. Other times its just random **** I threw on my desk throughout the day.

Does occur often enough for it to bother me? Not really because I can just blame my missed kills on it, hah - but if they offered a G502 that's wireless that never has to be charged and has similar latency I'd take it in a heart beat. It would avoid those pesky problems for me and it would eliminate another annoying wire behind my desk.

Also the G903 is is 11 grams lighter than the wired G502 and as Reardan's link shows, there are several wireless mice that actually have lower latency then wired ones.

2. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I have the g602 and can vouch for what you say - its the best mouse i have had.

too many functions would on a newer mouse would be a no no for me

3. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    This entire post reads like an account of how my grandmother uses technology. Step outside the conventional wisdom bubble for a moment.

Look at the latency chart I posted, the current model of the title mouse competes for the lowest latency among any mouse, period, not just wireless mice. Again, the mouse in the title is wireless and recharges constantly, it won't die. I just don't understand what you're on about. Everything you posted Logitech has solved, but you still feel compelled to regurgitate all the things you've heard everyone else say since time immemorial, one more time, for us all to see.

4. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    I do hope that one day logitech will re introduce the MX510->G400S shape and put a modern optical sensor in, still holding on to my G400s. Bought the G403 today, but meh', the shape isnt as good for me.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    The difference here is I'm a fan of wireless mice. I owned 3 total myself. I see a lot of potential in the G903, but I also see it as very niche. What I'm not a fan of is people who use wireless mice for, in my opinion, stupid reasons.

How am I supposed to trust a chart that has negative duration? For example, it says the KTEC mouse at the top of the list will register a click before I even pressed the button. So apparently that mouse can time travel?
    But to give the doc the benefit of the doubt - that chart doesn't prove your point, because almost all of the Logitech mice on that list are (or have) wired variants except the G900 and the MX Master. Whether the G900 was tested in wired or wireless mode, it is still significantly slower than other wired models Logitech makes.

Anyway my gripe comes down to the priorities. Personally, I don't care about the latency. I would be ok with a 15ms latency, because I'm not that picky and I'm not going to spend more than $30 on a mouse. But what I don't get is if your piority is to be the best gamer with the best equipment, latency is not something I'd want to sacrifice for an issue as nearly non-existent as cable drag. Y'know what's much worse than cable drag? If you're someone who uses broad movements (like Denial) and you slam the mouse into that thick block at the top of the mousepad.

But let's say even an elitist doens't care about latency (which I would understand). Your argument of "recharges constantly, it won't die" can easily be defeated with "a wired mouse will always remained powered and you're not paying extra for a battery and an expensive high-tech mousepad". What's the point of having a portable device that will never utilize its battery? That's like stocking your freezer with food with no intention to ever eat the contents, because you prefer to eat things fresh. There's nothing wrong with eating things fresh, but why stock your freezer?

But, if this is what you want and you're ok with such a needless expense then by all means, go for it. I don't care.

As much as you insist Logitech solved my issues, you/they didn't address the issue of data loss. It is common for any wireless device to have its signal disrupted, and no, Logitech didn't magically fix that - it's a matter of physics. I work in IT and I hear on a regular basis of clients who have brand new wireless input devices that don't work properly, despite being less than a meter away from the receiver with brand new batteries. If I were a hardcore gamer, I would not want to risk that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    multiple reasons why i prefer wireless.

i wanna watch a movie without having a remote, care to change song/volume will doing other things (and not at the desk), and it is way easier to move the mouse when running high dpi, especially when combined very smooth plastic/glass/metal pads that have a very low starting resistance.

any cord will make a day and night difference, and the main reason that i always sold any corded mouse i bought in the past, within weeks /month of getting one, to go back to wireless.

i dont mind rechargeable batteries if its not aa/aa but like the Li-io cartridges from the old g7, but since the g7 is sensitive to router/wifi adapters nearby, i changed to a g700.

and thats where swapping the battery mid-game is very annoying (removing bat cover etc), vs just ejecting and reloading on the g7, so i will definitely try one of those.

combine that with low lag and that my next board most likely will have a 1000Hz usb port, i dont see a reason not to upgrade, and a couple of my friends will too.

7. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    [​IMG]

lol, its hard to take your posts seriously when you post things like those, despite it being explained on the chart.

If you would read the chart, it means its faster than the baseline mouse that was stated. So if you see a -0.1ms it means its 0.1ms faster than the baseline mouse from the chart.

Logitech G403/G900/G703/G903 are 1ms slower than their wired mice when using it with a cable. You can look at the chart between the G403 wired and G900 (which is wireless). That means it is still faster 95% of the wired mice out there, including the Deathadder, Rival, etc. from popular brands.

I use a wireless mouse so I don't have to deal with cable drags. If its not an issue for you because you use like 8340284023 DPI or something, it doesn't mean its not an issue for everyone. The best players in the world almost all use low sensitivity for more accurate mouse movements. Latency is not an issue with the G900 and G403, no matter how much you keep bringing it up and you keep telling yourself that. Like I said, despite being 1ms slower than using it wired, its still faster than other mice out there. Many pros in LoL and a few in CS:GO use wireless mouse (G403/G900).

The new mousepad made it so people don't have to deal with a cable on the mouse (cable drag), but also never runs out of battery. In case you don't know, if you want to get rid of the cable, you can't cut it off and expect your mouse to work so you have to use a wireless mouse and a wireless mouse can't be used without a battery. Then you got to keep charging every 2 or 3 days (I use my G900 quite a lot so 2-3 days is right for me), which can get annoying. This mousepad fixes that issue by keeping it charged and wireless.

Also, you can add the micro-USB to USB adapter to the charging cable to plug in the receiver so that you can have the receiver right in front of your mousepad, providing a very strong signal. You can put the receiver in this new mousepad, I believe, which acts the same way as the charging cable with the receiver plugged at the end of it.

I never, ever had a problem with my G900/G403.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  8. Snorgrind

Snorgrind Member

GPU:
    MSI 4070ti Ventus
    So basically g703 is just g403 with the tech from g903 and not true successor to g700 ? I like the shape but i just cant live without 4 thumb buttons. Seems like i will have to buy new omron switches and mouse scates for my g700 to keep it alive little bit longer after all.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Fair enough, though the chart didn't make it clear where the baseline was unless you pay close attention. Half the content in column E is useless to anyone skimming through the chart.

I use a M500, which has a DPI of 1000. Not really that impressive, and yet, despite not being a hardcore gamer, I can perform well enough where people have banned me because they thought I was using an aimbot.
    And again, I don't care about latency. It isn't a problem to me. So no matter how many times you or Reardan want to think it's my problem, I keep telling you it isn't. My point is the collective disadvantages of wireless mice doesn't make it seem worth it for pro-players. It doesn't make economic sense for non-pro players. That being said, I've seen more pro-players use wired mice. But, I wouldn't blame them for using wireless either, as it's much easier to deal with when traveling.

Did you not see my freezer analogy? Did you not see my point about the giant block at the top-left of the mousepad? I'm not repeating myself.

10. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I never said latency was your problem, but you you said that wireless mice have higher latency. They don't. They have lower latency than most wired mice, except for their wired counterpart (g403, g900 as wired). The only disadvantage of the wireless mouse (Well, the G900, G903, G403, G703) is the weight only.

Battery is not an issue at tournaments, because they last quite a while. Interference isn't an issue either, as its highly optimized and with the receiver being so close to the mouse, the signal strength is very strong. I don't know how to make mine malfunction. Even in a very crowded LAN environment, it works perfectly fine.

Ya and I don't think the freezer analogy makes sense.

The "giant" block there shouldn't get in the way at all because someone who will use this should hopefully know how much space they need and whether it is big enough for them or not. It also acts like a receiver and plugs into your pc's usb port.

I won't buy one, because it is too small for me. I use the G640 so if I were to use the G240 instead I would probably hit that "giant" block if I move my mouse.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You do realize you just contradicted yourself, right?
    I'm aware batteries aren't issues in tournaments. As I said before, I think a wireless mouse (and keyboard) makes sense for a tournament, assuming you're bringing your PC along with you.
    If you want to bring personal anecdotes into account, I have encountered dozens of wireless input devices and nearly all of them have had reception issues at least at one point during their life, even ones I use regularly (like the Dualshock 4). Many/most wireless devices also have a noticeable lag if you haven't used them for a few seconds. I can only think of three that have never had problems, two of which are keyboards. Note I am disqualifying moments involving battery issues.

What don't you get? If you're buying food to put in a freezer and never intend to eat it, the food is going to waste and is a needless expense. If you're buying a wireless mouse and never use the battery, the battery is going to waste and is a needless expense.

And you could argue the same about a wired mouse... I personally have my mouse connected to the USB hub on my keyboard, which gives me full freedom of movement and no tugging of the cords. It's a simple, tidy, cheap, and reliable solution.

BTW, Wacom makes mice for their tablets. These mice are completely wireless and don't use batteries. I think they allow to be used in absolute and relative positioning modes. I don't know how good they are, but that seems to be the best of both worlds - a wireless, high-resolution, light-weight, battery-free mouse.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I just got my G700s to replace my MX110 wireless. G700s at 1000 DPI gets low after 2 hours of straight gaming but I have my USB cable nearby. If they made a universal charger for OTHER wireless mice, I would consider.

I like the G700S layout way more than the G900 and it was on sale for half the price recently!

13. EJocys

EJocys Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    Truth to be told, new Logitech G90x is an inferior mouse to old G700s, because its flaws are bigger than benefits. G90x have:

a) Less buttons.
    b) Integrated battery.
    c) No thumb rest.
    d) Huge price.

12000 DPI? Any mouse with higher than 6400 DPI is nothing more than a marketing gimmick. Most popular games does not support DPI higher than 3200 properly (including Call of Duty and Battlefield series). Even 1600 DPI is too much for some games.

If Logitech was truly interested in improving mice, then they would be improving on G700s. For example they could:

1. Add high quality rubber grips.
    2. Two extra buttons on the right side.
    3. Redesign battery lock to make battery replacement fast and possible with one hand (there must be no disconnected parts you could loose).
    4. Create 2xAA USB battery charger, designed to complement fast battery replacement.
    5. Add ability to charge via mouse pad.
    6. Make left handed version of G700s.

At the moment, I am using Sanyo Eneloop USB Charger with 2x AA Batteries. Which is very small and allows you to forget about mouse cable and gives the ability to change battery in 2-3 seconds during the game.

I hope that China keeps producing G700s for years to come :).

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Interesting idea. I currently use Logitech wireless products at work - a wireless, solar-powered keyboard (K750) and a wireless mouse (MX Revolution). A wirelessly charging mouse might be viable alternative to my current one, although I'm not really looking for an upgrade at the moment (my current mouse lasts a full work day).

At home, I use a wired RGB mouse and keyboard.

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I got a second new G700s in the box, hidden away in case the first one breaks! :D