Samsung C49HG90 QLED monitor is 49inch curved at 32:9 aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 9, 2017.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    21:9 will never be a common physical aspect ratio

2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
  3. arakisb

arakisb Guest

GPU:
    vega
    after a bit of research last night compared to this new lg 34" g-sync 144hz ips with only a 5ms response time

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025121

i found that you can get the 32" beauty with even more screen real estate and still have enough money to buy a rx580 for about the same money

thanks amd for freesync 2 and samsung for such cool monitors

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    oled or VA only. I had IPS, colours was fine but response time sucked, and black are joke...

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's the most common aspect ratio for cinema actually.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That must have been ancient IPS panel if you'd be willing to take VA over modern IPS... No matter what the marketing says, VA is the slowest.

Personally I can't stand VA. Black to white transitions are terrible. It's good when showing black only but other dark tones look pretty hideous at least on our VA TV no matter what I do. Colour wise it's meh. Also unless you are sitting in front of it everything looks washed out. I hate VA gamma shift.

Modern IPS & PLS panels are hitting over 1:1000 contrast ratio which makes blacks look okay in decently lit room.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  7. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Witcher29
    What a joke.
    You know that most brands dont manufactur the screens themselves?
    Besides that, i can have a 200$ Samsung that will look crappy when compared to a professional asus for +1000$, and that has nothing to do with the brand.

The fact that all Samsung screens ive seen in the past 15y all have horrible color accuracy and pretty bad color banding says a lot about those "great" screens they make.

And almost all their screens are glossy/semi glossy which is another reason i dont like them.

Im not picky on ppi, but a 49in with 1080p? Lol

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I have a Samsung PLS screen and its pretty damn accurate (tested with colorimeter). Zero banding in Eizo monitor test app, but can see banding on poorly encoded videos. Content at fault, not display. Not to say they dont have low end stuff that does not meet the grade.

Er.. 32:9 AR. Its same height as regular 24" screens. Put 2x 24" screens together and you get this 49" unit basically.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You apparently have not been paying attention to monitor technology.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @alanm
    not the contents fault, when one screen shows it and another one doesnt (SAME files).

sure, not all are bad. but how much was yours?
    so far, the "lower third" of their line up isnt good on colors, and i dont like orange skin tone (vs other brands; same settings for color/contrast etc).

i got a new screen almost a year ago, so i havent looked at the newest ones.

plus, it was more about the comment from Witcher29 and the "oh so bad" brand asus, just making crappy screens.

which i dont really see. when my 32in@1440p/75hz/10bit amva panel/flicker free/100% sRGB is even good for gaming..

missed saying it will limit it pretty much to watching movies on content creation.
    and why then do 1440 on the smaller ones...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Not trying to argue, but no its not.

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Wrong, its vastly being adopted and will become more common.

And same damn thing was said about 16:9 by alot. They didnt like 16:10 being replaced.

Even with consoles pushing 16:9 1080p for bluray and games.