Windows 10 and the need to constantly reinstall drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by DrunkenDonkey, Jun 3, 2017.

1. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Hey all. Since about 3 weeks ago it became a routine - win10x64, updated to the teeth, I can't launch any dx9 game when I boot windows. Video players not working, stating they can't query available modes, etc. I have disabled driver updates both with the setting and with ddu, I have tried numerous drivers back and forth, tried cleaning with ddu, clean install with amd's own setup, nothing. Basically the procedure to have any gaming is:
    1. Boot
    2. Fire the game, which errors out
    3. Curse
    4. Reinstall any driver, tried back to 16.11.4, currently on 17.5.2
    5. Restart
    6. Play

That same thing repeats on next day. I'm getting tired of constant reinstalls, not that it takes that much of a time, but seriously, it should not be needed. Updated to the latest dx9 runtime provided by someone here, but it is annoying. Anyone got an idea what could trigger that weird behavior?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ran any anti-spy programs or disabled anything in group policy?

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Maybe the problem is not the driver but something else entirely....

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    yea i would do a full reset....Cause no driver issues here...AMD or oherwise

5. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Nah, never ran any of those anti-spy thingies, this is pretty static computer that have here and there some game installed and thats all pretty much. It does not do it right away, I mean now I can play stuff, if I restart I'll be able to play again, but if I start it out tomorrow, the drivers will need reinstall...

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No malware issues?

7. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    - Right click on the start menu icon, select Command Prompt (Admin). On the command line run command SFC /scannow. It will take a bit to complete and will be checking for any missing system files. If errors are found it will fix them automatically if possible. If the command can't fix errors, possibly it's time to reinstall.

- Then go to start menu and open the settings window. On the search at the top type Troubleshooting and select "Troubleshooting" in the results. Then run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter. If there is a Driver issue this could fix it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  8. BugMeister

BugMeister Guest

GPU:
    2x RX480 NITRO+OC(8G)
    I can't get my locally installed Dungeon Siege/Legends of Aranna to load..
    keep getting an error message saying something about a missing D3D dll module..
    No amount of tinkering with the compatibility options makes any difference..
    - that's a DX9c game..

- did get a coupla glitches with X3:Terran Conflict, but they were soon sorted..

- I can't get the Steam version of X3:Albion Prelude to work with ScorpBy's map, which is a nuisance, as it's such a useful add-in for the game..
    - the code is all installed properly, but I can't page out of Steam without it glitching the map display all over the place
    - can take the data snapshot in-game, but have to save and leave the game to call the map up separately - with an F5 refresh it updates ok..
    - most likely it's a Steam GUI issue, though..

- most games run fine with the latest Win10 Insider , but one or two DX9c types don't seem to want to run at all..

9. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
  10. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Run DDU to let it write a registry line to stop Windows from looking into WU for drivers occasionally or when missing in Device Manager. This you can do it manually also:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000
    Still, you must manually hide newer drivers delivered via schedule WU checks. You can do it with a tool like WUMT or Microsoft's own, combined with Automatic Updates set to notify only (W10 Pro or above), or by setting your network to metered on Core/Home so it doesn't download stuff without asking first.

11. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Scanned for malware and viruses (none), ran sfc /scannow (no issues), troubleshooter only said that my automatic update of drivers is disabled... I guess I'll have to live with that for time being or reset windows. Thanks all.

12. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Small update: since I had to reinstall every day I was going with the newest lately, because of why not, thus hit upon 17.6.2, the minor and totally unrelated dirt4 driver. Well I was for a surprise - the problem is gone! Not a single reinstall needed from the day 17.6.2 got released and installed.
    Now yeah, for the first time I have seen monitors not wanting to wake up, but that was only once for these days, so no biggie. At least the bloody reinstalls are gone!