Computex 2017: Intel Core i9 Launches With up-to 10 cores first - Does 4.3 GHz on LCS

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    2 things deducible, intel is not having a good time, and CPU competition is going to ramp up now, and intel still thinks its ok to push prices after the info on threadripper is out

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Something tells me Intel's on course for a rude awakening. You can't price your products like that unless they're better than the competition. I highly doubt they will.
    Lessons shall be learned. And if they try retarded shenanigans again I hope they get punished to the brink of bankruptcy (not actual bankruptcy because nobody wants a monopoly).

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    4,2 or 4,3 as max overclock ? That is quite a bit disappointing, seeing that my Haswell-E comfortably runs at 4,4 and could to 4,5 or 4,6 with a little more tweaking.

5. thefather

thefather Guest

This time, I think will go with AMD, gathering my resources :)

6. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    ThreadRipper has its own set of problems with its dual-die almost-NUMA configuration, it'll hurt applications that are not aware of the special handling of such setup - and news flash, no consumer applications or games are. And the Giant socket may mean that few of the existing coolers actually fit, which would be a real shame.

I wouldn't praise ThreadRipper as much before its properly reviewed.

In any case, a 10-core running at 4.3ghz is pretty neat, especially since that is the out of the box Turbo even. Previous generations the higher core counts used to clock much lower out of the box and required manual tuning to get even close to that number (no idea if you even could get a Broadwell-E 10 core there).

7. RandomDriverDev

RandomDriverDev Guest

GPU:
    1080 / 8GB and 1060 / 6GB
    Thanks Nevcairiel, i've been trying to get that point across with the performance issues occuring with the R5 4 core chips, but everyones just sucking on the AMD PR teet and copypasting PR bs.

Rise of the Tombraider is apparently Ryzen aware, but thats 1 out of hundreds of thousands of games.....

PS: Thanks for LAV.

8. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I guess il wait for next 10nm generation.

My assumption is that sweetspot will be 8/16, clocking over 4.5ghz all of them.

9. N0Name

N0Name Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I do plan to purchase new platform soon and while I do expect that I9 will be better, at least at single threading, then TR I won't pay 700-1.2k USD (price adjusted to EU aka. including taxes etc.) for a CPU that has toothpaste under the hood... Looking at he thermal issue with i7-7700K and Intel fix for thermal spikes "don't overclock" I do suspect that same principle will apply to their HEDT.
    This is spiting into customers face and calling it a rain in my book.

Of course final decision will be based on benchmarks and this time around more on the price / performance ration then RAW performance alone. To me plus for AMD is that when new feature CPU's will most probably fit into current socket with in longer run is cost saving.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Is there a solid date for these rather than 'a couple of weeks'? I know it was originally going to be the 26th of June but this seems to have changed.

Intel lists the chipset as 'Launched', obviously no availability yet, but I have seen SKUs for the Asus and MSI boards on at least one e-tailer.

11. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    Threadripper, atm is aimed for workstations , content creators and heavy duty apps, not COD, minecraft. It might appeal to the gaming community later, but not now. It will be priced competitivly in that range, prosumer range.

12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Fanboys will buy anyway. I'm reading all over the internet how people are waiting for these without ever considering looking at benchmarks and comparing brands.

For the few amongst us who actually use our brain and buy best price/performance, the story is different.

Wait for benchmarks, but IMO TDP and price/performance AMD might have a win here.

As an excuse used by Intel fanboys: Quad Cores are enough for gaming and all you need is a fast quad core like a i7 7700k.

Now seriously: R7 1700 is an affordable workstation for those who want to play games at the same time, if you're just interested in gaming the real contenders are R5 1400/1600 and i5 7600k and I know who wins for me.

ThreadRipper is aimed at pure workstations, people who buy them may play games but I doubt anyone would get a 10 to 16 core just to play games in 2017. Same said for Intel, you need to be stupid to spend more than $400 on a CPU if the money is better spent getting a 1080ti for example.

I'm glad at least someone thinks the same way as me.

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    So only stupid people buy Intel according to you?

You realize that endlessly promoting AMD makes you the fanboy, not the other way around.

Choice is a great thing and I'm glad we finally have it again

Just because you prefer AMD does not mean someone who buys Intel is any less intelligent than you are.

People have their reasons on both sides.

14. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    4.3GHz only, seriously. Where's the ivy bridge intel? My 4820k (3.7GHz) overclocks to 4.65GHz at 1.19v, on proper watercooling, with no problems, probably could go higher. Now that's what expect from a supposedly enthusiast platform.
    And LN2 overclocking is just a question of money and show off, not skill!

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    @Silva

Of course it is sensible to check actual performance for needs, but for many people looking to buy AMD, they have their confidence at a good level having seen Ryzen and the leaks of upcoming ThreadRipper (as thin as they are).

So at this point for them seeing more is not so relevant in making an Intelligent buying descision as it is supporting the underdog where it is Clear they have a great product, even if Intel manage to slightly up the ante and step ahead.

Our money supporting AMD for the long run makes for a Much more interesting future computing landscape.

That and AMD really does have a great product for HEDT and server market now which will be Much better value than Intels current offerings, especially in the server market!

16. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    So basically if i got the gist of this correctly, the cards are coming out with there max overclock already present? (if the graph shown is correct)

Little disappointed i was hoping for 4.5/4.6ghz all cores on the 10/20 chip, but 4.3ghz is not too bad, similar to Broadwell-E but with the upgrades in architecture and two cores can go to 4.5ghz, looking forward to HH's review of it, would like to see where they stack up and if they are worth the asking price

17. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Will hopefully be getting one of these, perhaps not right away, but at some point and I'll put it under my massive MO-RA 360 Rad! See what they can do on proper water ;)

Not a skill! Shows what you know! You do realise that a lot of the top guys in XOC are used by manufacturers in R&D and help fix a lot of issues, they also get to show off what these platforms can do! And its certainly not as simple as just pouring Ln2 into a pot and clicking go like some people might like to think lol

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I'm still wishing for at least ~4.5ghz on that 8 core 7820x, one can dream though. Well it would be logical since 5960x did that on avg.

But seeing ES in the past they were always better binned and now they say it can do 4.3ghz on avg it doesn't look so good. Hopefully its just for 10 core variant.

19. jortego128

jortego128 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Well, this bit of info is not entirely unexpected-- sure the 7700k can hit 4.8 or whatever on air, as people love to point out when touting it as a superior gaming chip to Ryzen, but the reality is that is a quad core processor, and even it runs hot at those speeds-- did everyone really expect the 10+ core versions to hit the same speeds??? You'd be able to cook a steak on them.

Intel make great chips, no doubt-- but they are expensive. 5 years with zero competition on the high end has made them content to rest on their laurels whilst charging very high prices for very little innovation. AMD has come out and just slapped them upside the head with a whirlwind effort to re-capture some market share. It basically caught Intel with their pants down, despite several years of horn-tooting by AMD telling everyone what they were up to. Shame on Intels management for letting that happen.

Intels 16 and 18 core announcements are just an extremely transparent me-too attempt to steal AMDs thunder with Threadripper-- the fact that no release date has yet been given for those parts prove it was just a knee-jerk reaction to save face on their part. They will not be out in time to prevent Threadripper from taking the performance crown and holding it for at least a couple of months. That has to be a bit embarrassing for a company the size of Intel.

Theres no need for fanboyism on either side. Theres only a need to recognize whats going on-- good competition from a tiny underdog against a juggernaut. Intel isn't going anywhere, lets not be silly-- If AMD captures even a 10% marketshare that would be an HUGE, HUGE victory for their company and for the sake of a competitive market I sincerely hope that happens. And just like the old Athlon XP days, AMD has probably awakened a sleeping giant-- in a couple years time Intel will likely put some incredible tech out to combat AMD just like the Core 2 days. I just hope AMD can at least stay in the fight!!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  20. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^ My 7600K can reach 5.0Ghz on air but is "just" a simple quad core. The moment Intel or AMD double or triple the cores it´s normal that the CPUs are going to struggle to reach high clocks... Quite frankly i think that having CPUs with 8 or more cores already reaching more than 4.0Ghz to be amazing!