Tekken 7

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by anxious_f0x, Jul 14, 2014.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    your SSD/HDD must be getting hot or something

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not all games take a long time to decrypt, only these larger (50 GB+) ones. Usually even these take under an hour though.

And the game was installed to a new 3 TB 7,200rpm SATAIII hard drive that was 50% full after moving the content from a previous 1 TB drive over to it along with other Steam games from three other drives (two 3 TB and one 2 TB drives). The drive was not running hot (it was 30 C after the PC had been on two days).

I guess the decryption may have been slow because I was playing Formula Fusion at the time. After I quit the game the decryption seemed to speed up so it probably took an extra 30 minutes. The download size was 36.5 GB but the install size is 59 GB so it was heavily compressed, which obviously adds to the unlock time plus it isn't installed to an SSD.

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That would be why, extract one larger rar archive and then as that's ongoing extract another one and both will slow to a crawl.

If the HDD is already under load from another process then you'll see markedly reduced performance from anything else trying to use the drive.

..Which can be a real pain for Windows 10 because Microsoft likes running compattelrunner.exe after you've installed something which runs for a while doing diagnostic and telemetry stuff ha ha. :D

Anyways far as Steam and their method of having the entire game being packed into these encrypted chunks that's something I'm not a huge fan of either, 50+ GB games will take 20 - 30 minutes just unpacking though it used to be even slower though I wish they'd just omit the game exe similar to how UPlay or Origin used to do it though now they use a server-side check for the release date instead.

Though yeah the HDD and CPU will be busy unpacking those bigger games so if they're already in use by something else expect things to slow down a bit.

Same goes for when Steam updates a game instead of directly replacing the files, you might notice some stuttering if you're busy playing some other game when that goes off. :D

Mechanical HDD's in particular are a bit of a bottleneck in this situation, might be advertised as doing 150 - 200 MB/s but you're unlikely to get those speeds under the conditions this process works.

EDIT: Though not every game or software will totally hammer the HDD I suppose should be said. :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Played about an hour of the game this morning, some Story/campaign mode and a little of the Arcade mode.

First it is fantastic to finally be able to play a Tekken game on the PC after all these years of being console only (and PlayStation only until Tekken 5 or, was it, 6?) and it still feels exactly as I remember it with fast gameplay and over-the-top impact effects that really make you feel like you are damaging your opponent.

Graphically the game is a mixed bag though; the story mode uses (I believe) pre-rendered cinematics that appear washed out and lower resolution in comparison to the in-game visuals (I'm playing maxed out at 2560x1440 with 150% resolution scaling for 4K downsampling) that is immediately obvious when it ends and the gameplay starts. Not only that but these cinematics highlight aliasing and polygonal heads, ironically, since you start off playing as Heihachi once the prologue is over who, alas, has a very bald and very polygonal head! Some tessellation would have been welcome here! I really like the art style and the game runs at a locked 60 fps for me on these settings but the backgrounds exhibit shimmering and aliasing that I would not expect to see at 4K @ 2560x1440 with (presumably) in-game TAA enabled. It almost looks like the game is being rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled but don't quote me on that as I may be completely wrong and it may be just the post-processing that leads to this effect. (And, yes, I had Dynamic Scaling turned off in the options!)

Loading times are also quite long, at one point taking almost a minute to start an Arcade fight but otherwise 20-30 seconds. Game is installed to a hard drive though and not an SSD.

There seems to be a lot of content and, as expected, the more you play the more things you unlock. You can also buy outfits and other stuff with the in-game currency (the game gives you 3,000,000 at the start) with most things coming in at 300,000 with some oddly at 83,320 or something (not sure why it's that figure!).

Unfortunately, this game comes out just a couple of weeks after the superb Injustice 2, which I bought for my PS4 Pro, and that game's Story mode is just leagues ahead of Tekken 7 and almost cinematic in the way it presents its cutscenes and the almost seamless transitions from and to the gameplay. It also has much better graphics, somewhat ironic considering it is running on a modified version of Unreal Engine 3 rather than 4 which Tekken 7 uses. I only imagine that it will look even better on PC.

Still, this is the same old Tekken you either love or hate so if you are a fan of the franchise then I doubt you will be disappointed with the game. I would imagine that the PC version is the definitive experience because I would wager that both the PS4 and Xbox One versions are using dynamic resolution scaling and likely drop below 1080p during gameplay to maintain 60 fps.

chr!s likes this.
  6. beseitfia

beseitfia Guest

GPU:
    SLI x2 MSI Gtx980 Gaming
    guys can you please tell me if the 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio is supported by the pc version of the game? I've bought the ps4 version but i would also buy the game for pc, because i have a mame cab with a 19" screen 1280X1024 with 5:4 aspect ratio, but i'm just scared that it's like street fighter 5, wich is just wide and streched with this resolution..Thank's in advance

7. PowerK

PowerK Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I have not tried Tekken 7 yet. But what you described (in bold) may be due to scaling artifacts.
    Ideally, you want an even multiple (aka, integer scaling) = 4x. (2x width + 2x height)
    4x on a 1080p display is 4K, so that looks great. 4x on a 1440p display is 5K (5120x2880) which also looks great.
    4k resolution (3840x2160) on 1440p display (2.25x scaling factor) results in scaling artifacts without proper (& heavy) post-process filter.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/6fbfy3/t7_dlc_files_found_in_pc_versions_data/

Data mining of DLC via the PC version.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    OK, thanks. I will try setting the resolution to 4K and the resolution scaling to 100% to see if the shimmering/artifacts I described are minimised.

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    My main gripe with it is framerates are locked to 60fps which isn't ideal for higher refresh rates and I noticed there's some in game background animations that seem to be running at 30fps and all the cutscenes are 30fps but there's not much can be done since the game mechanics are tied to the framerate, still it's awesome playing Tekken on PC and it looks great on my 100 inch projector screen.

11. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    This is the best tekken game, as i played TTT2 before, i could easily pick T7, learn new combos and go on have fun, made a short nina playthorugh video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaQUK50C7TU

Though, i feel for newcomers, the game isn't that friendly and can be complicated at times, graphics looks amazing but the resolution scale is broken atm, shall be fixed.

If anyone wanna play online, let me know :)

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  12. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Does anyone experience lag and frame drops in Tekken 7 during online games?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  13. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Untitled.png

An amazing result for the whole saga.

14. Jade_M

Jade_M Guest

GPU:
    2gb
    The first part I played is Tekken 3 , my favorite character was Eddie and Hwoarang

15. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Harada and his team was able to keep us playing. Guest appearances by Geese and Akuma were a nice touch.

I wish AM2 and Ryu Ga Gotoku studio release Virtua Fighter 6 and it makes an excellent comeback.