Computex 2017: AMD Press conference – Radeon RX Vega News

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2017.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have not seen any freesync projectors around. I imagine they could have recorded game footage and play it. But then everyone would be like...

And maybe they played it from recording, but then man in the middle attack happens in form of DP/HDMI/... switching device which is connected before projector, so they can seamlessly change sources.

There are many possible causes for image tearing in such setups. But since none of them is applicable to regular gaming setup:
    GPU => Cable => Freesync screen
    I can't care less.

2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Of the people who complain about the "lack of competition", barely 10% of them will be buying $600-$700 GPUs, if that many...;) I'm far more interested on the GPU side of the fence to see what AMD does with the $200-$300 market segment--it's for certain that both nVidia and AMD sell a boatload more GPUs in the $200-$300 range than in their $600-$700 ranges--even combined...;) I'll go 4K when 4k 60-100fps GPUs hit the $200-$300 range, and when quality 4K monitors sell for ~$300, + or - $50. ATM, my RX-480 8GB does everything I want at 2560x1440--couldn't be more pleased with the price-performance ratio. And, If I should want (but probably won't) to go X-Fire, I can--which you can't do at all with the so-called nVidia product supposedly on a par with the RX-480. Last time I checked you couldn't even go to 8GBs ram on the nVidia product. Parity? Not even close, imo...;)

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You don't need 8GB for this resolution , nor SLI/CFX, before you run in performance issues you better of sell that card and replace with new generation :D

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What happened to the $300-500 range? As far as I know, the 970 was a huge bestseller for Nvidia. The 1070 has also been selling well enough, I believe. You have to remember that Nvidia needs to sell two or three cheaper GPUs to make as much money as by selling one a bit more expensive one. Considering the genuinely expensive and super expensive cards, Nvidia will need to sell a whole lot of cheap chips to get the same money. It's not wasted business.

Few manufacturers also want the image of being the cheap brand that people have to get when they haven't got a choice. One that they would drop immediately if they manage to get more money.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20

Well even a 1070 379$ by far outsells RX480/470.

Around that price point seems pretty popular.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm not gonna lie, Big Vega is kind of a cool name.

7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It's not good to be over a year behind your competition; at this point there's not much else to say. :( I hope they have a decisive victory in each of those price segments since Nvidia won't be that far behind with their next iteration/generation.

8. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Another hype with unreal expectations, it's becoming tedious.

9. Titan29

Titan29 Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 | 7900XTX
    Epic comments on the twitch site though... during the livestream.
    Made my day

10. No1True

No1True Guest

GPU:
    Do you think they need more workers to be good at this and not behind nvidia? I mean I keep noticing those "articles" where tesla "steals" some workers from here and there..
    Do amd guys not good enough or they are just slow? I have no idea why they keep delaying vega for so long..

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    We won't se Volta before August so you're crazy.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    If AMD get the enterprise/professional business orders they're after, then, you're just going to have to wait.

On the other-hand, there isn't much going on with new games that need big gfx cards anyway.

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    There are still 1080ti models coming out. Not happening.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    AMD is launching Vega Founders Edition (sorry Frontier Edition) on the 28th. Lisa Su said end of July for launch of RX Vega (likely paper availability likely middle of August). Please stop. We will likely see Volta November at the earliest but likely February.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    New leaks of Vega performance :

[​IMG]

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    False flag on this one mate. Look at the NDA date. We would have seen this long before if it were real.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Yeah, looks fake. There is no way Vega is 120% faster than 1080, lol.

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I totally expect RX Vega, 1080ti and TXp to all be within 10 FPS of each other in that bench with Vega in the lead.

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    After Polaris, I have learned to temper my expectations, as far as AMD GPUs go. I'm not sure how Vega will perform when finally released, but I'm keeping my expectations low (that way, I won't be disappointed ;)). Let's hope I'm wrong, LOL.

Yeah, I checked for RX 580s on Newegg and NCIX and almost every single model is out of stock - Ethereum miners have basically cleaned them out. I actually have a MSI RX 580 which I'm using for grid computing, and I'm wondering if I should sell it on eBay (they now fetch a very high price on the secondary market), or if I should look into mining?

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hah, exactly what I came here to say. I had a R9 290 as Polaris was launching and it let me down quite a bit. Jumped to a 980Ti instead before hopping to my current 1080. I'm not expecting anything from Vega, but I have high hopes that it will allow AMD to get back significant market share and lower prices all around. Then there is the possibility that very few *actual* gamers will even get their hands on Vega with the mining scene currently. We shall see...