how to stop NVEnc downclocking my VRAM :( // Tool for Perf.Level 2 Change?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by De-M-oN, May 19, 2017.

1. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    The NVEnc downclocks my VRAM by about 500mhz because of going to Performance Level 2 - and that despite option at nvidia control panel set to maximum performance :x
    If I use Shadowplay - obviously the card stays at Perf. State. 0. *how surprising* But Shadowplay has too bad quality for me.

I tried to edit the P2 State with NVInspector but I cant apply it at all
    As soon as I click on apply it resets back to the low VRAM clock.

I thought - maybe it conflicts with MSI Afterburner's OC, so I closed it.
    Still not changable..

I have a GTX 1080 Extreme Gaming by Gigabyte on a Windows 7 Ultimate, I use the driver version 381.89 at the moment.

Is there any way to change the P2 state to same of P0 (I mean the max performance one) so that this damn P2 switch is at least workarounded by this??

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Should only run one overclocking utility to start, also depends on if the graphics card detects a 3D application or not. The card will still downclock to idle, even if max performance is set because the setting only affects 3D applications.

I'd use afterburner and make an overclock profile for 3D applications with its options. What are you trying to capture using NVENC?

3. De-M-oN

De-M-oN Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080
    Performance mode 2 has still the full gpu clock, but the VRAM clock is reduced by about 500 mhz.
    It happens with every software which isnt shadowplay if you use the NVEnc Encoder.

Afterburner seems only to change performance mode 3. I didnt found a possibility there to change specific performance levels. Or is it somehow possible with it?

This case has nothing to do if 3D application or not.
    I dont talk about the boost clock. I talk about VRAM Clock being reduced because of going down to performance level 2. Due to my setting in nvidia control panel (prefer maximum performance) the card stays at performance level 3 also on desktop (except the boost clock of course)
    But as soon as NVEnc is in use by 3rd party software - it goes down to performance level 2 with the reduced VRAM clock. Very very annoying.
    I want to use OBS Studio to capture my Datapath VisionSC-DP2 Capture Card and do the encoding via NVEnc so that there is no engine hook and also no encoding going on. This results in 0 fps loss in game capture. But this vram issue is very disappointing. It has to go away at all costs. I'm very thankful for every tip by you which could lead to a solution..

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    You can use MSI AB to lock the card to 3d mode clocks(no downclocking)

I think you press L inside AB to lock it.