RTSS v7.0.0 overlay not working in UWP games

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Darren Hodgson, May 12, 2017.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have been using MSI Afterburner and RTSS for as long as I can remember to overclock my graphics card, monitor temperatures and other stats in pretty much all my games and to take screenshots.

I installed MSI Afterburner v4.4.0 beta (currently on beta 8) and RTSS v7.0.0 beta (currently on beta 22) as soon as I found out about them and have no issues with either of them; they continue to work as well as the previous non-beta build.

One thing that puzzles me though is why I cannot get the overlay to appear in any UWP game. The overlay appears fine in D3D9, D3D10, D3D11 and D3D12 games as well as those few that use OpenGL and Vulkan. However, it refuses to appear in Gears of War 4, Gears of War Ultimate Edition, Forza Horizon 3, Forza Motorsport 6 APEX, Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, Dead Rising 4 and every other Windows Store/UWP game.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I've even done a clean installation of both Afterburner and RTSS to no avail. All my games run fine and the overlay works too as it always has in everything except UWP titles. :3eyes:

Can anyone help? Thanks.

(I am currently using the v382.19 Hotfix driver on Windows 10 Pro v1703 Build 15063.296 and my current graphics card is a GTX 1080 Ti although I had the same problem on my GTX 1080.)

2. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Same problem. Was working before that version of RTSS. I verified my setting but doesn't noticed any change.

3. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    I have installed the last beta Version of AB/RTSS and it works very well for my UWP Games (FH3, HW2, GoW4)

4. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    what are your windows version ? I have the latest win 10 pro 64 bits version 1703 build 15063.296.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    500 views and only two replies... I guess you can only respond if you also have the problem or had the same issue and fixed it.

I really don't understand why it isn't working as the overlay works with everything else as it always has. The only reason I installed the beta was to test out the overlay with UWP games but, for whatever reason, it does not work on my PC even with a clean install (although I restored my backed up profiles).

I really don't know what else I can try at this point seeing as D3Dxx, OpenGL and Vulkan games all work fine. I don't use any other injectors (although I do have D3DOverrider running for older 32-bit games to force triple buffering but that dsiabled globally and only enabled per-game). I have tried disabling D3DOverrider but it does not change anything.

6. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Same version of Windows as me but this issue has persisted through several 15063.xxx builds now so I do not think that is the issue.

Do the UWP games have their own (hidden) profiles that enable the overlay for those specific games?

7. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

UWP support was in public development and active beta testing stages for weeks, development and testing is finished now. Everybody who wanted to take part in testing and development posted there and got their feedback. There are no replies here because nobody knows where are you mistaking, and you can find all useful info related to UWP in beta thread. I'm focused on completely different tasks now.

8. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    I just install afterburner 4.4.0 beta 9 with RTSS beta 23 and UWP OSD work ok.
    Try that version Darren. :thumbup:

9. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

As reflected in beta thread, there are no changes in beta 23 besides updated context help/documentation. And there were no changes related to UWP support during at least a couple months and 5 previous betas or so. So I'm afraid newer version is not the thing than cured it.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I will try it but since Unwinder has said there were no changes for UWP support then I expect the results will be the same.

Oh well, it's no great loss if it still doesn't work as some UWP games have their own framerate analysis display (Gears of War 4) and framerate counters (Forza) plus taking screenshots is just a matter of pressing the Windows key + PrtScrn. The OSD works fine in everything else and the number of UWP games I have is very small anyway.

11. knuckles84

knuckles84 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk EK
    I have the last Insider Build (Fast Ring) installed and everything works just fine.

so lets see:
    -last Insider works fine
    -no reports in the official thread, that there are Problems in normal Windows 10 Installs
    -as Unwider says, no UWP changes since mounths

You problem has nothing to do with RTSS or AB.

12. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    My guess would be that people just don't own any UWP games, so they can't comment one way or another. They still like to read up on all threads that pop up - like me.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I own most of games mentioned in the OP but I don't have any issues with OSD working in them in the latest available beta.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm with Creators Update and RTSS doesn't seem to be working for me in Prey, no matter what settings I apply to it.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its working here. Must be something else on your side.

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    RTSS v7.0.0 beta has been working fine for me in Prey as well with Windows 10 Pro Creators Update; it's just UWP games that don't.

Check that you don't have a profile for the game already that is disabling the overlay. I believe this new game uses the same filename for its exectuable as the older OpenGL Prey game from 2006 so it may be something to do with that. Failing that try toggling the overlay on and off using the shortcut keys as it may be turned off.

17. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    Try Slimcleaner free. I use it after uninstalling Afterburner 4.4.0 beta 8 Rtss beta 22 then i installed 4.4.0 beta 9 and Rtss beta 23. UWP game work ok and Prey work ok.

18. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    I think it is hit or miss with Windows 10 UWP trash games. I have the latest betas of RTSS and MSI AB and it works consistently on one of my systems and the other one it does not. My P870DM3 with 1080 SLI is working great with Gears of War 4 and Gears of War Ultimate Edition. My Tornado F5 with single 1080 works sporadically with the same games. It stopped working completely on the second machine after the last Windows Update for GoW games. The only two games I play that are UWP trash are these two. Everything else I play is on Steam, Origin, Uplay or GOG. It works great on all of those. The real problem is Windows 10 UWP is totally garbage and should not be viewed as a good platform for PC gaming.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Interesting... I might try that option myself after backing up my profiles. Can't hurt to try it, after all, and the worst thing that can happen is it still doesn't work.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Where is the download link for rtss beta 23?