PREY (2017) | Prey 2 [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    for indoor environments with cryengine,check star citizen, looks great, and to add to that, crysis 2 and 3 were on cryengine, and they both look great,i just couldn t take the blocky shadows, lack of dynamic lighting and stuff in Prey, looks completely plastic to be honest and for no reason, why they didn t do a better job is something i cant explain or tolerate

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. DirtyDan

DirtyDan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB
    Im still stuck after
    saving the cargo hold of people from suffocating and taking down the mercenary dude in life support
    and i cant leave, whenever i try to leave to the lobby at the end of the loading screen into the lobby it CTDs every time.

3. Pale Horseman

Pale Horseman Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    Beta patch Released on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/480490/announcements/detail/1296319532120777013

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Okay... firstly, the post you quoted had absolutely nothing to do with the technical features or abilities of the engine/game.

It was simply be commenting that I like and appreciate that Arkane do not strive for a realistic look with their games. That I am grateful that they have their own stylistic look for their titles.

And secondly, if I saw a shortcoming with a game's visuals... I would comment on it.
    But, as is, I have no issues with how PREY looks. I've never once said it's a benchmark title in graphics, that it's one of the best titles blah, blah, blah. Cause it's not.
    But, it's also a very good looking game despite it not pushing any levels graphically. I think it's a good looking game because of talented artist and a great retro style.
    Sorry if it bothers you that I appreciate what I consider good art, but... I do and I will continue to do so. And I will always consider good art design far more important then technical abilities.

And, personally, I find the comment "This game looks like a game from *some random year*" a bit foolish.
    I've seen people say 2007, 2010... 2013... and so many other years. And in each one of those years I can find absolutely stunning games visually.
    Dynamic shadows don't make a game more fun. ;)

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    well if it was only dynamic shadows then its easy, but its other major problems for me, the world feels plastic, plus there is too much lighting it never feels scary, while for examplr doom, every nook and cranny was done masterfully to create the atmosphere, i can add to this great title Alien: isolation which has the same mechanics and looks much much better

6. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    gamespot gave it 6/10, thats it im sold, this review says that it lacks in memorables characters, story is thin, earlt game is a grind and audio design is abnoxious, there u have it, i agree with gamespot on this one qlthough they didn t mention abt the graphics..

7. kaneos

kaneos Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1080 TI
    Stop complaining about graphics ...
    This game has a fantastic gameplay for a FPS and a level design absolutely amazing and that's what matters.
    The only bad thing for me is the audio. Not memrable and mostly too low, especially during audio records

8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The music is fantastic. And the audio levels are fixed in the BETA patch that's on Steam.

But yeah, stop complaining about the graphics. Missing out on one of the best games in years simply because you don't think the visuals are up to some standard... sad for you. PREY is the best game this year, and one of the best in the past few years.

9. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    I played it and refunded the game within 10 min when i saw them graphics and dumb AI sorry but this is just not for everyone.

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I get that you are exaggerating for effect, specially since you don't face any enemies until about... 20 to 30 minutes in.

But, even then, the first enemies you encounter are the Mimics. You don't encounter the truly challenging enemies until a bit further. And, seriously, this game is offering up some of the most challenging combat in a long time.

But, yes, I fully get that it's not for everyone. But, I believe counting a game as "crap" just because it doesn't meet a mental "bar" of what graphics should be in 2017 is a bit... meh...

11. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Sure!
    Troll!

12. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Its there engine they use its really dated dude @ least thats what i think.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  13. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Beta patch 0.5 is out

14. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    You mean cryengine 4? Outdated how?

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Outdated because he needs to validate buying a 1080sli

16. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's actually using CryEngine 5. So...

Actually the patch just went Live, V 1.2, it's no longer Beta.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is it? From what we heard CryEngine 5.2 will support dx12 and 5.3 will support Vulkan later this year.

Are we sure Prey is using 5.0?

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    it does

[​IMG]

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    well if this is what cryengine 5 is capable of, than im donald trump....

20. Firstly, there is no CryEngine 4. CryEngine versioning goes up to 3.8 and then skips to 5.0 and continues from there up to 5.3.x. CryEngine 4 is just "fan" name of CryEngine 3.6-3.8 because Crytek decided that CryEngine should stop using "numbers" behind CryEngine name.

And secondly, last big render pipeline update before Prey development was in version 3.6 (fan name CryEngine 4) which added physically based rendering. That was around 2013(?). That was about the same time Arcane started Prey development.

And lastly non of this matters. Prey was in development since 2013, that is enough time to do proper visuals for old-school FPS. The reason why they failed in this task remains unknown, but I wouldn't put much blame on CryEngine.

And one more advice, do not believe everything you read on Wikipedia.